Vacuum Sound coming from engine bay ? - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 4 Old 08-01-2014, 05:40 AM Thread Starter

Vacuum Sound coming from engine bay ?

Hey guys im new to these forums and this will be my first post
I traded in my 2011 hyundai sonata for a jeep compass latitude (2013) last year, I have accumulated 25,000 miles on it so far. Ever since i hit 23,000-24,000 miles i ran into a problem that no one can seem to solve.

The problem only occurs when the engine oil temp gets to the half way marker (which is regular) when i start accelerating the engine sounds like there's a vacuum just sucking air in , REALLY LOUDLY. ( ill post up a video once i figure out how to ) At first i thought it had to do something with the transmission because i ran into a little transmission problem when i was coming back from a weekend getaway Upstate Ny where my transmission fluid overheated and the vacuum sound was so loud that i thought the car was going to blow up into flames any minute. I got to the dealer and showed them the video clips i have recorded of the noise and told them about the transmission fluid problem and they couldn't resolve the problem at all.
The dealer wont take the car in because they think that there's nothing wrong with it when i bring it to them (which does not make sense because it makes the darn vacuum sounds)
Any help and suggestions i can give the dealer to resolve this problem would be nice

Totally forgot, the other day i pulled over while going on the high (70-80mph) and the sound was getting really loud, i put it into N to see if it would still do it when i pop it out of gear, and in fact it was still doing the noise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eP1...TjYxn2HLMmqDyg
There is the the youtube link of the video i uploaded of one of the more clearer videos
ill post up another one if needed. thanks

Last edited by lukeJCNY; 08-01-2014 at 05:46 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-01-2014, 03:14 PM

sounds like the motor is over reving. your rpms should not spike that high that fast unless you downshift into a lower gear.

if the dealer wont take it in either find a new dealer or call jeep directly.

i had an issue where the dealer (not jeep) would not take a car in so i called the company directly and the car was fixed the nexted week.

good luck
post #3 of 4 Old 08-01-2014, 07:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpfeffer123 View Post
sounds like the motor is over reving. your rpms should not spike that high that fast unless you downshift into a lower gear.

if the dealer wont take it in either find a new dealer or call jeep directly.

i had an issue where the dealer (not jeep) would not take a car in so i called the company directly and the car was fixed the nexted week.

good luck
Thanks for the response, but the Rev's spiking like that was me actually playing around with the throttle for the video so i can record the sound .

Any idea what could be wrong with it ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 08-02-2014, 10:26 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeJCNY View Post
Thanks for the response, but the Rev's spiking like that was me actually playing around with the throttle for the video so i can record the sound .

Any idea what could be wrong with it ?
i noticed when u played with the RPMs i go loder and then not so loud ok there are a few things u can check

1st u would want to chek for a vacuum leak that be ur air lines Engine vacuum is held by a series of gaskets and hoses. If one of these vacuums lines or gaskets develop a leak it can cause a whistling noise that is audible. This whistling noise will change as the engine throttle is moved.

The 2nd thind i think it might be is ur alternator is overworking it can produce a whistling noise that can vary with engine speed. To check for this condition inspect all electrical wires at the battery and alternator for corrosion. This make it try to work harder while it can whisltle more RPM u push out faster it runs so lounder it gets us and to check ur alternator output, set the meter to read up to 15 DC volts. There's probably a 25 volt scale. With the engine running, touch the black meter lead to the negative battery cable and the red lead to the the positive cable. Do this right at the battery. You could just touch the meter leads right to the battery terminals, but if you have a dirty or loose connection between the battery and the cables that attach to it, you will not read the proper voltage. It will read low because the connection is resistive. (note too, that if your battery cables are old and worn or corroded inside, the reading will be low too. This can affect your charging rate) Anyway, again, with the engine running, you should read something in the area of 13 to 15 volts. Anything less than 13 or so is too low and indicates that the alternator is suspect. Alternatively, you can take the car to any of the major parts houses, and they will generally be happy to come out to the parking lot and check the alternator for you

i hope These help you out

Last edited by LordReddawg; 08-02-2014 at 10:32 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in