Engine trans noise - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 8 Old 09-07-2014, 01:49 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Engine trans noise

I'm about to test drive the compass tomorrow and everything I've read said the engine and the CVT trans make a lot of noise. Is this true or BS. I want the 4x4 with freedom drive 2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 09-07-2014, 06:45 PM

Normal they don't make any unusual noise. Certainly not at levels different from most other cars. If its new is will be fine. If its used and you hear or feel vibration or noise. Get out and run from it. It will be a money pit and spend a lot of time in the garage.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 Old 09-10-2014, 06:14 PM

I noticed the same thing when I got mine, but it is normal as it is a CVT, just make sure it does not whine

personally, I would never buy another CVT, I'm currently looking at replacing our Compass,
2009 North Edition 4X4
tow package
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 09-11-2014, 12:55 AM

I agree CVT are very risky investment and gain nothing. Todays 6 speed transmissions geared properly will do as good or better without the downsides of them.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 Old 09-17-2014, 05:02 AM

Everett how's your test drive? We choose compass as it drives differently and would like to know more about this machine.
post #6 of 8 Old 09-18-2014, 04:19 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
While there has been problems with some CVT transmissions I don't think they are an more failure prone than other transmissions. I am on my 2nd FDII and both haven't given me any issues so far, and I've offroaded and abused both of my vehicles quite a lot.

With FDII, there may be a little bit more engine noise, but that would be because of the different gearing of the FDII's they will rev higher at any given speed vs all the other compass', whether they have a CVT or the 6 speed auto in the 2014 models.

2012 Red FDII Jeep Compass Limited
235/75/15 Wranger Territory AT
WK2 Headlight Swap
Magnaflow Muffler

Full Interior LED's + Front/Rear Signal & Backup LEDS

post #7 of 8 Old 09-18-2014, 12:50 PM

Tyler: I think you're real lucky. Have you bought the 649 lottery ticket yet. Sounds like you're a winner out of the gate. LOL

I have been afraid to tow anything heavy with mine. Only a small 6x6 camper trailer metal box converted into a trailer. It fits behind width wise perfectly. Not too wide so its not hanging out the side. Towed it empty and with a few cabinets once & other odds and ends. Its light as I can lift the side up myself. I am not so strong anymore...

This being my 2nd CVT in it. My 1st was a problem out of the gate. I know how expensive they are and with everything I seem to have to repair (sway bar links the other day) I am not asking for more trouble. I notices every time I towed empty or a few items in it (no more than 100lb-150lb in it). The engine does automatically rev higher on the highway and pulling away is a lot more effort. It clearly senses the load. Gas millage drops significantly as well.

Anyway the other day I decided to replace my aging Grand Cherokee mentioned in the Sig. I am getting a used 2008 Sante Fe AWD w/3.3L V6 Limited version. Rated at 3500 as per factory configuration on the Limited build. I'll not have any troubles with that since 2000lbs is the max when I tow 2 snowmobiles in its trailer to the trail head, a 40 min drive. The compass should handle it but I never tried since I have a much heavier duty vehicle which just keeps on going despite its 291,000km and gets 25mpg CND on the highway.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #8 of 8 Old 09-19-2014, 07:58 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
I"ve been lucky transmission wise.

Suspension wise the 08 was fine,

my 2012 is starting to have suspension issues, but its 100% my fault

I plan to get a hitch one of these days,

I have never really had a use for one, but my father is getting older now and doesn't use his boat much any more (18ft bayliner) so it would strictly be for pulling to the boat launch and launching, only issue is the boat is about 2300lbs, good thing the boat dock is only a couple blocks from the cabin.

My wife's 2014 Cherokee V6 pulls that boat like nothing, but its also rated for 4500lbs

2012 Red FDII Jeep Compass Limited
235/75/15 Wranger Territory AT
WK2 Headlight Swap
Magnaflow Muffler

Full Interior LED's + Front/Rear Signal & Backup LEDS

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in