Wheel Bearings or something else? - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2014, 10:03 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Wheel Bearings or something else?

So I'm trying to diagnose a problem with my 2007 compass. I believe its a wheel bearing however its says to check it jack up the wheel grab the top and bottom and see if there is any play. Its coming from the passenger side so I did both the front and back. It seems like there is very little play as in none. Here are the symptoms:

Thumping sound that is increases and decreases with speed. Also become more pronounced when turning right I a believe. Its 2007 with 130,000k base model 2wd.

Thank you in advanced
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2014, 07:12 PM

my guess would be the bearing but, my alternator coupler went and it sounded like a bearing, except it wouldn't explain the noise being louder when you turn
Old 10-31-2014, 05:54 PM

Garage
Don't know if you've figured this one out yet but, wheel bearing failure is hard to feel by wiggling the wheel. My guess would be tire, or maybe C/V joint?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2014, 12:47 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Front CV axles sound like they are shot, does it sound like this

Jeep Compass CV Axle Clunking - YouTube

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 Red FDII Jeep Compass Limited
235/75/15 Wranger Territory AT
WK2 Headlight Swap
Magnaflow Muffler

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Full Interior LED's + Front/Rear Signal & Backup LEDS

Old 11-03-2014, 10:35 PM

Could be belt separation in the tire or bulge. Check it and/or if uncertain swap with the other side and see if it moves to that side.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

Old 04-03-2015, 02:51 PM

Garage
One open question (it seems i need to replace a rear bearing):

Do I need to replace bearings in pairs? How recommendable is this? Is it the same for example with shock absorbers?

Please heeeeelp.

Here in the local market TIMKEN is availble. Is this alright?

Many thanks,

Billy (wojeda)

Jeep Compass 2008, 2.4L VVT, 4x4, CVT II

Door Sill Guards Stainless Steel
Hiway 22.5MPG (120Km/h)
City 19.4MPG
Old 04-03-2015, 03:35 PM

wheel bearing aren't replaced in pairs. If that is what the problem is but it should be felt and/hear when spinning the tire.

Timken makes excellent bearings. If you're not sure running the wheels while all 4 are off the ground (on a hoist is best), but if on jacks be careful it doesn't fall off. But I personally have not heard bearings thump.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

Old 04-20-2015, 05:09 PM

Garage
I just got replaces the rear left bearing. Well it came complete, not only the bearing as years ago.

The bad news is that when i went to test the truck, the noise is still there. Now i am not sure if it is the other side (right) or is something else.

The shock absorber in the rear left side seems to be quite oily, i dont know if this can be the reason. Or maybe the wheel? misaligment?

I got replaced the oil in the back transmision box at the rear. Can be something in here????

I will try to rotate the tire, maybe this helps.

Regards,

p.s: I will try to change this jeep to a toyota, i can not be all the time in the shop and spending money in expensive spares. I like very much the way jeep looks, but realibility is also more important at the end of the road...

Billy (wojeda)

Hiway 22.5MPG (120Km/h)
City 19.4MPG
Old 04-20-2015, 11:27 PM

Your rough roads must be taking its toll on the suspension. If its bearings you should hear it spinning the wheel when jacked up. If its knocking or creeking then could be the rear tie rod (about 8 inches long w/bolt through bushings from wheel to rear arm).

Depends on noise etc

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

Old 04-21-2015, 05:35 AM

Garage
Oily shocks?

If your shocks have oil coming out of it, its a sure sign that it is bad. Oil should not be leaking out of the shocks. The nitrogen gas has probably all leaked out too. Better to replace the oily shock with a new one. Do it in pairs.
Old 04-23-2015, 02:01 PM

Garage
Im looking after a pair of shocks right now....

Definetly the rought of the pavement on my place is too hard for this compass... id like to have a Land Rover Defender..

Billy (wojeda)

Hiway 22.5MPG (120Km/h)
City 19.4MPG

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in