Noticing the 4 x 4 - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 7 Old 10-11-2014, 05:19 AM Thread Starter

Question Noticing the 4 x 4

Just a question....is it noticably different driving in 4wd mode? (freedom I). I haven't had any real tuff terrain yet, just some rough gravel roads and once thru the ditch to get by some farm equipment on the road. It didn't feel any different that just the ordinary front wheel drive. My last vehicle was a Honda CRV AWD and I never noticed much of a difference (it didn't have the lock in feature)
Also, I believe when it's locked in, it turns off at 35 mpr....but does it turn back on when you drop below 35 mpr again?
Inquiring minds want to know!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 10-11-2014, 08:47 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
In 90% of situations, you will hardly every be able to tell the difference between the AWD mode and using the 4x4 lock. I owned a patriot for 4 years prior to my 2012 compass, so I've driven them for 6 years.

When in the AWD mode the vehicle will send power to the rear at different points and it will send it even if the front tires aren't slipping.

About the only time you'll notice a difference is if you turn ESP "Full off" and are driving on snow or ice, and turn corners with extra throttle, when in 4x4 lock mode you are more likely to do a 4 wheel drift, where as in the AWD mode the vehicle shifts power front to back and keep you more stable.

If you want more reading up on this, take a look at THIS thread, I made a few years ago talking about the 4x4 system.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 Red FDII Jeep Compass Limited
235/75/15 Wranger Territory AT
WK2 Headlight Swap
Magnaflow Muffler

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Full Interior LED's + Front/Rear Signal & Backup LEDS

post #3 of 7 Old 10-13-2014, 08:42 AM

Interesting videos and tips Tyler, nice!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 10-15-2014, 04:20 AM Thread Starter

Good videos. But I gotta admit....I don't really understand the 4wd any better. Must be a girl thing
I liked my old Suzuki Sidekick.....just put into into low and it would go thru everything.
I will probably understand things better once the snow gets here and I can kinda try things out for myself.
post #5 of 7 Old 10-15-2014, 09:01 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
The awd system is so good on the compass you pretty much don't have to think about it. It just goes. Use the 4x4 lock if you starting getting into deeper snow mud or whatever it won't let you down the only thing to remember if you are going through particularly nasty stuff make sure esp is "full off" to do this push and hold down the esp button until you hear a chime. Then where the odometer is it should say espoff

2012 Red FDII Jeep Compass Limited
235/75/15 Wranger Territory AT
WK2 Headlight Swap
Magnaflow Muffler

Full Interior LED's + Front/Rear Signal & Backup LEDS

post #6 of 7 Old 10-17-2014, 03:48 AM Thread Starter

okay, that I understand. Good to know that the Compass will perform well....I'm looking forward to testing it out. Only reason to look forward to snow!
post #7 of 7 Old 11-27-2014, 04:31 PM

We got some decent snow accumulation in the northeast over the past 24 hours and I got to try out the 4x4 FDI. For the highway/side roads with no bare pavement I just left it in the AWD mode and it handled like a champ. I've read some negative reviews about the Wrangler P215/65R17 OWL all terrain tires and my impression was they handled like a true snow tire.

When I got closer to home I hit the hilly/curvey side roads that were even more of a mess so I put it in 4wd mode. There is a difference in handling (felt more like a truck than a car) and the steering wheel felt a little heavier. My driveway is long and steep and had not been touched at all with about 8" of snow and I had no tire slip, it just crawled right up the driveway like it was dry pavement. In the past driving a car with snow tires I would of had to take a multiple runs at it while keeping the speed up to make it.

Let me cut to the chase. I'm very pleased with the handling of my compass on dry, wet and snow conditions with the Wrangler tires.

2014 Granite FDI 2.4L 4x4 Jeep Compass Lattitude

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in