High revs issue? - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 6 Old 11-03-2014, 04:11 AM Thread Starter

Garage
High revs issue?

So I just bought wife a used 2007 Compass, standard automatic, 4wd. 95,450 miles. I noticed today that the thing sits at 3000-4000 RPM at constant speed. When I pick it up (getting on the freeway for instance) it takes a while to get up to 70 mph and then the revs only get up to about 6000 RPM and will drop back to 3000-4000 over the next mile or so (which is a solid 40-60 seconds for it to drop...)

In my sedan, getting on the freeway my car gets up to 7000 RPM to get to 70 mph, but once I'm there it drops immediately to about 1500 RPM just to maintain speed. Is there something wrong with the compass, or is my sedan just a boss?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 11-03-2014, 04:21 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
at 70mph you should really only be revving around 2400 or so, you state you have an 07, on the gear shifter is there an [L] position below drive...........if so make sure its not in that position or it will cause the revs to be higher. Otherwise something seems fishy with the cvt transmission, might have to take it to a dealer, would it be possible for you to make a video of you accelerating up to 70mph and then posting it here, i'd be curious to watch it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 Red FDII Jeep Compass Limited
235/75/15 Wranger Territory AT
WK2 Headlight Swap
Magnaflow Muffler

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Full Interior LED's + Front/Rear Signal & Backup LEDS

post #3 of 6 Old 11-03-2014, 04:32 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Definitely not in L. I'll grab a video next time I drive it. It stays pretty high even when I'm going 35 and I've only ever seen it near 1000 Rpm when I'm braking.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 11-03-2014, 10:11 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
is there any funny sounds associated with this, by this I mean does it sound like whining, similar to how roots style supercharger sounds, unfortunately the sound of a dying CVT transmission has a distinctive whine to it.

2012 Red FDII Jeep Compass Limited
235/75/15 Wranger Territory AT
WK2 Headlight Swap
Magnaflow Muffler

Full Interior LED's + Front/Rear Signal & Backup LEDS

post #5 of 6 Old 11-03-2014, 08:59 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I found a video on YouTube with the whining and I haven't heard anything like that.

2008 Jeep Compass CVT Transmission Noise - YouTube

The tranny sounds normal, but it just runs at uncomfortably high revs. I don't imagine that's good for the tranny or my fuel economy.
post #6 of 6 Old 11-16-2014, 06:11 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Update:

Here's my update: I went to get a video of the revs today and the issue is gone. It still revs up fairly high to get to freeway speed, but then it drops down to right above 2000 to maintain speed. I can't even explain what happened, but I assume that something was loose and bounced back in place. I guess that means I can expect to see it again, but for now the issue is resolved.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in