Cluster test mode - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 2 Old 09-06-2010, 12:18 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Cluster test mode

Has anyone ever ran the instument cluster test? When I was a BMW tech we ccould run a test on the cluster to ck all lights and gauges etc. I tried the same method on my 2009 Compass and it works the same. Hold the trip rest button inand turn the key on at the same time. All the gauges will sweep and lights come on to let you knoe the bulbs are good. There are also some numbers that flash in the mileage display and cycle through some different things. Are there are Mopar techs on here that know what those numbers mean? They may be a software version of the cluster or something.

2011 Compass Latitude ,28B ,Freedom Drive II Off Road Group, Sun & Sound ,,Bright Silver,Husky Liners,Mopar Molded Flaps,Xpel clear door edge guards, Stainless Steel exhaust tip.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 09-06-2010, 05:06 AM
Administrator

I have heard of this, we call it the "gauge dance" or "cluster dance" lol. We had a thread on this on another forum I'm on, here's a synopsis of that conversation (edited for content and language):

Q: Impatient as I am I tried to reset my oil change light like my tundra was and have the truck off and hole the trip reset and put it to the on position. The message display had a lot of letters and numbers and my guages were systematically dancing and all the lights on the dash were blinking randomly. Lack of better thing to do in the situation, I turned the key to off. Just went to key it back on and it was all normal.

What the heck did I do? I apparently didnt do anything harmful, but would love to know what I did.

A: You sent a continuous signal to the PCM by holding the button.

Don't do that.

The guy was trying to reset the oil change light on his Ram the same way as he had on his Tundra, doesn't work the same way hence my response.....:

It's not the same to reset that as on our trucks, turn the key to the "on" position without starting the truck, hit the gas three times and it's supposed to reset the oil change indicator. That's what worked for me anyhoo....

Long story short, the guy found this out by accident, but still interesting. What numbers are you seeing flash? Grantedd I have not tried this myself, so I can't say if it's actually flashing a code, but aside from the normal bulb check, I can interpret the numbers you see on the display.

- Cherokee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My 2007 Jeep Compass Sport, Bright Silver Metallic, 26E, CVT II, Driver Convenience Group, Sunroof, Trailer Tow Prep Group, 4x2

1991 XJ Cherokee Sport 4X4 4.0 H/O I6
2008 Dodge Ram 1500 ST, SWB Reg Cab, Bright Silver Metallic, Trailer Tow Package

JEEP - Just Enjoy Everything, Period.....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in