New Guy With A Few Questions . . . - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 7 Old 11-30-2014, 03:34 AM Thread Starter

Garage
New Guy With A Few Questions . . .

OK - I'm the new kid on the block here. Just picked up a low mileage (34K) '07 Limited for the wife last Monday and so far we've enjoyed it. I'll be ordering the lighted window/door switches later this week and a tune-up (just plugs in this case) are planned for tomorrow.

As you can imagine, I have several questions about varied topics so I'd appreciate your patience with me.

1. As far as an after-market service manual goes, which one do you all suggest (and why)?
2. Am I correct in understanding that the throttle body is on the underside of the engine (2.4L)? Just unusual to me. Is there supposed to be a clamp on the intake hose - if not, I need to get one and put it on.
3. On the door lock pulls, is there a way to get them off and replace them with a different one? I like to put my arm there and they keep poking me because they don't go down all the way in to the door.
4. On this transmission, I know that I can put it in to shift mode by pushing the shift lever to the left or right, but is there any way to get it out of shift mode without having to pop it in to neutral first?

I'm sure I'll have more questions as time goes on and I thank you in advance for your patience.

Bruce
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-30-2014, 05:05 PM

Congratulations on your purchase and welcome to the forum. I recently purchased a 2014 with no experience on previous models so can only answer question #4.

From 2007 manual:
Autostick operation is activated in the D position by
moving the shift lever side to side. Moving the lever to
the (+) side will activate Autostick and shift up to the
next higher manual ratio, unless you are already operating
in or near overdrive in which case, 6th ratio will be
selected. In like manner, moving the lever to (-) will
activate Autostick and shift to the next lower manual
ratio. After Autostick is activated, the manual ratio
selected is displayed in the transmission ratio display
and tipping the lever to the (+) or (-) direction will cause
an upshift or downshift by one ratio. Holding the lever to
(+) momentarily will deactivate Autostick. Autostick is
also deactivated when the lever is shifted out of D. Also,
when in 6 position, touching the lever to the right will
restore Drive D position.

2014 Granite FDI 2.4L 4x4 Jeep Compass Lattitude

Last edited by BubbaKen; 11-30-2014 at 05:08 PM.
post #3 of 7 Old 11-30-2014, 07:08 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Appreciate . . .

Thank you - one mystery solved.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 11-30-2014, 10:22 PM

Bruce,

#3 on my 2014 just unscrew the door locks then pull straight up, the plastic spacer will pull up once the lock is free and it will all come up. If you take the lock to home depot and see what screw fits it will tell you what thread you need then start your search. If it was me I'd just pull it all out then re-insert the plug. It will leave a little hole for the lock but nobody will notice but you (and it will be flush with the door).

FYI if you go to reattach the lock the piece it screws into may not be directly lined up with the hole and you will have to fish it out with a wire.

post #5 of 7 Old 11-30-2014, 10:30 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thank you.

Since you are a DIY, do you have any suggestions on after-market literature as far as a manual is concerned? The only shop manual I have is for my Suzuki Burgman since I do almost all the work on that. Saying that, I don't want to get that involved in working on a four-tired vehicle.

I do plan to order the replacement switches tomorrow so that the wife and I can see them in the dark.
post #6 of 7 Old 11-30-2014, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happytech View Post
Thank you.

Since you are a DIY, do you have any suggestions on after-market literature as far as a manual is concerned? The only shop manual I have is for my Suzuki Burgman since I do almost all the work on that. Saying that, I don't want to get that involved in working on a four-tired vehicle.

I do plan to order the replacement switches tomorrow so that the wife and I can see them in the dark.
My library has a 2012 Chilton Chrysler automotive repair manual and it covers the Compass in good detail. I haven't done any repairs but thumbed through it when I purchased my Compass just for fun.

So I guess that's #2 answered

I'm spent, someone else has to chime in on #1

post #7 of 7 Old 11-30-2014, 11:14 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Well, I'm going to drop it off at my mechanic's this week so I'll let him answer a few questions.

Thank you.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in