2012 Compass MPG Issue. What is happening? - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 32 Old 12-02-2014, 08:19 PM Thread Starter

2012 Compass MPG Issue. What is happening?

So I'm joined with another Jeep Compass forum, but unfortunately I have YET to receive any liable answer with any sort of common sense.

This issue irritates me, but I have no reason as to why it does. I feel like it only irritates me because I can't find an answer, so please don't take any sensed aggression personally.

I bought my 2012 Jeep Compass (altitude) around 4 months ago. All-in-all I love the car. It's a real eye catcher, and I get constant questions about it when I'm 'out-and-about'.

I don't have the EVIC, so gas mileage ratings are all done by hand. The formula for the estimated MPG's is: miles per tank/tank capacity (13.4), correct?

I track how far I go with a single tank using the trip calculator in the car. The most I have ever gotten on a single tank is 166 miles per tank. This highly concerns me since all I have ever been reading is everyone is getting at least 200+ a tank, some even reaching 300-give or take.

I also track my MPG's through an app that I log in every time I fill up. Both the app and hand calculations both say I'm getting on average 13mpg. What the f*ck?

Is this correct? No matter how hard I try to keep the car under 3000rpm's at all time, I can't get anymore than 160 miles to the tank. My tank right now is just under barely half tank and I'm at 98 miles thus far. I have a heavy foot, but it's not like I rev the CVT out past 4000rpm unless I'm on the freeway which is practically once a month for 10 miles.

Any ideas? Hope all of this made sense.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 12-03-2014, 01:13 AM

Well there are many factors that affect mpg.
1. Tire size and pressure, under inflate reduce speed
2. gear ratio?
3. wind resistance and extra weight..
4. tune up like new sparkplug every 30k, new filter like in every 3 oil changes..
post #3 of 32 Old 12-03-2014, 01:33 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunner92 View Post
Well there are many factors that affect mpg.
1. Tire size and pressure, under inflate reduce speed
2. gear ratio?
3. wind resistance and extra weight..
4. tune up like new sparkplug every 30k, new filter like in every 3 oil changes..
1. I'm running stock 18's, and I actually just had them inflated last week. They were running a little low.

2. Stock gear ratio I guess.. it's the CVT2 trans.

3. Literally an empty car, but I can understand.

4. I just hit 26K miles two days ago.

I guess it could be the constant stop-and-go traffic since I daily commute only in the city. I don't know... 13.5 average mpg just doesn't make sense. I should be getting 21 city/28 highway; 25 combined.

Thanks for the quick response btw. I appreciate all input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 Old 12-03-2014, 01:27 PM

To figure out your mileage divide the miles traveled by the amount of gallons it took to refill the tank, don't use the size of the fuel tank. So... fill it with gas, reset the trip computer then drive it until the light comes on. When you fill the tank again try to fill it to the same level that you did previously (stop at the same point like when the gas clicks off) then divide the total miles driven by the number of gallons you put in the tank. I average 23-24 miles per gallon on my 2014.

You would smell a gas leak so I'll leave it to the gearheads to answer what could be going on with the fuel mixture or engine.

2014 Granite FDI 2.4L 4x4 Jeep Compass Lattitude
post #5 of 32 Old 12-03-2014, 11:54 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
What is your temperature, as it gets colder out, mileage on these vehicles drops quite a bit, when it warms up the mileage will get better.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 Red FDII Jeep Compass Limited
235/75/15 Wranger Territory AT
WK2 Headlight Swap
Magnaflow Muffler

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Full Interior LED's + Front/Rear Signal & Backup LEDS

post #6 of 32 Old 12-04-2014, 07:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaKen View Post
To figure out your mileage divide the miles traveled by the amount of gallons it took to refill the tank, don't use the size of the fuel tank. So... fill it with gas, reset the trip computer then drive it until the light comes on. When you fill the tank again try to fill it to the same level that you did previously (stop at the same point like when the gas clicks off) then divide the total miles driven by the number of gallons you put in the tank. I average 23-24 miles per gallon on my 2014.

You would smell a gas leak so I'll leave it to the gearheads to answer what could be going on with the fuel mixture or engine.
So I just filled up this morning. From practically empty to just about the same amount that I filled last time which wasn't long ago. 154.9 miles (via trip) and filled 11.28 gallons.

154.9/11.28 =~ 13.73 (mpg?) estimated. LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler-98-W68 View Post
What is your temperature, as it gets colder out, mileage on these vehicles drops quite a bit, when it warms up the mileage will get better.
I live in Southern California, so temperatures run around 70-95 on average. It's been around 60-65 at coldest but only at night. I don't typically ever drive at night. It's almost 75 degrees by 9 a.m.
post #7 of 32 Old 12-04-2014, 08:00 PM

I Primarily check mine on a highway drive where I have control. Stop and go city traffic will knock it down quite a bit. Your gallon is smaller but I'd expect it to be at least in the 20's given it new and advertised millage is so much higher. My last check was 29MPG CND of course which I was surprised I got that with the winds I was battling. I check now and then.

Given the weight class and engine displacement I'd expect better and much closer to spec's on it. What has your dealer said about it?

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

post #8 of 32 Old 12-04-2014, 08:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripplec View Post
I Primarily check mine on a highway drive where I have control. Stop and go city traffic will knock it down quite a bit. Your gallon is smaller but I'd expect it to be at least in the 20's given it new and advertised millage is so much higher. My last check was 29MPG CND of course which I was surprised I got that with the winds I was battling. I check now and then.

Given the weight class and engine displacement I'd expect better and much closer to spec's on it. What has your dealer said about it?
Don't laugh at me, but I haven't talked to the dealer about it yet.. I'm going to call today. It doesn't bother me, but there's something obviously wrong.
post #9 of 32 Old 12-04-2014, 10:49 PM

I haven't got the best millage out of mine either and mentioned it a few times. They replaced a lazy o2 sensor once I noticed but I did not see the improvement. I was getting 4-5 MPG more that my 2002 Grand Cherokee with its 4.0L I6 engine. A true SUV 4x4 and for the different I laughed at it being in a much smaller vehicle barely able to do better than it does.

Its now gone as I sold it and moved onto NON Chrysler now with a Hyundai Sante Fe. I am quite happy with it and yet to see how it fares in the snow with its AWD and 3.3L engine.

OH I am not laughing but at the end of the day a dealer needs to assess the issue and effect some sort of repair or parts swap to see if it fixes it. You do need to bring it to their attention and get it documented. It maybe a known problem for some of them. Much like when I told a rep at the dealer I had a hard time filling the tank since the gas station nozzles were kicking out unless I barely squeezed the lever. He told me I did not know how to fill a tank and would take me out to show me. Now I'd been filling tanks for 40 years by then and now I need to be learned by someone who thinks I am missing something. Well the tech saw the work order and knew there was a bullet on that issue !!!
The technician promptly ordered a new gas tank since there was a problem (TSB) in some with an internal part causing this. LOL

I have not had a problem with filling since. I started dealing with a different rep after that as well. TURKEY !!!!

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

Last edited by tripplec; 12-04-2014 at 10:52 PM.
post #10 of 32 Old 12-05-2014, 01:23 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Could be the catalytic converter is clogged or gone but bt hasn't yet thrown a code.

I have a 98 Firebird, and when the Cat was clogged, my mileage went to ****, once it was replaced mileage went up again.

WK2 Headlight Swap
Magnaflow Muffler

post #11 of 32 Old 12-06-2014, 10:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripplec View Post
I haven't got the best millage out of mine either and mentioned it a few times. They replaced a lazy o2 sensor once I noticed but I did not see the improvement. I was getting 4-5 MPG more that my 2002 Grand Cherokee with its 4.0L I6 engine. A true SUV 4x4 and for the different I laughed at it being in a much smaller vehicle barely able to do better than it does.

Its now gone as I sold it and moved onto NON Chrysler now with a Hyundai Sante Fe. I am quite happy with it and yet to see how it fares in the snow with its AWD and 3.3L engine.

OH I am not laughing but at the end of the day a dealer needs to assess the issue and effect some sort of repair or parts swap to see if it fixes it. You do need to bring it to their attention and get it documented. It maybe a known problem for some of them. Much like when I told a rep at the dealer I had a hard time filling the tank since the gas station nozzles were kicking out unless I barely squeezed the lever. He told me I did not know how to fill a tank and would take me out to show me. Now I'd been filling tanks for 40 years by then and now I need to be learned by someone who thinks I am missing something. Well the tech saw the work order and knew there was a bullet on that issue !!!
The technician promptly ordered a new gas tank since there was a problem (TSB) in some with an internal part causing this. LOL

I have not had a problem with filling since. I started dealing with a different rep after that as well. TURKEY !!!!
My 2001, 9,000 pound Suburban that has the big 6.0L engine gets better gas mileage than the teenie 2.0L engine that's in my Compass. LOL.

I concur with you that the dealer does indeed need to asses the issue. I feel that it's something more than just little, like a lazy O2 Sensor. I've been a car enthusiast for years, and I just have a feeling that it's one of those scenarios where you think it's just a little problem, but in the end it becomes some massive problem that needs several replacement parts. I have the lifetime bumper-to-bumper warranty, so I'm not worries about the cost of things. lol. (thanks for the input!)

Quote:
Could be the catalytic converter is clogged or gone but bt hasn't yet thrown a code.

I have a 98 Firebird, and when the Cat was clogged, my mileage went to ****, once it was replaced mileage went up again.
You think it may be a clogged catalytic converter? If it was clogged, I don't think it would throw codes. Any of the cars I have ever driven/owned always threw codes the second it was done for. I'll have to bring it up when I find the time to deal with the horrifically shi*ty customer service at my D.J.C.R. dealer.

LOL. I'll be sure to update on the thread when it's finally assessed. Thanks for the input!
post #12 of 32 Old 12-29-2014, 11:37 AM

Garage
[QUOTE=sillysilberman;55394]So I just filled up this morning. From practically empty to just about the same amount that I filled last time which wasn't long ago. 154.9 miles (via trip) and filled 11.28 gallons.

My Jeep Compass is brand new, i got it with 47 miles, now has about 500. at first i thought somebody was stealing my gas overnight, then i realized my gas gauge was just dropping quickly after i went for an hour drive.

I did a full highway drive, no stop n go traffic, stayed around 65-70mph and with the 12-13 gallon tank in the car i was only getting about 16 mpg. and here in town where i live i get about 12. I am calling the dealer today because this is crazy
post #13 of 32 Old 01-01-2015, 05:04 AM Thread Starter

[QUOTE=alanizulysses;56009]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysilberman View Post
So I just filled up this morning. From practically empty to just about the same amount that I filled last time which wasn't long ago. 154.9 miles (via trip) and filled 11.28 gallons.

My Jeep Compass is brand new, i got it with 47 miles, now has about 500. at first i thought somebody was stealing my gas overnight, then i realized my gas gauge was just dropping quickly after i went for an hour drive.

I did a full highway drive, no stop n go traffic, stayed around 65-70mph and with the 12-13 gallon tank in the car i was only getting about 16 mpg. and here in town where i live i get about 12. I am calling the dealer today because this is crazy
Finally I'm not the only one! Like I said before I can't get the car past 166 miles to a tank no matter how conservative I drive.

Get this: I drove on the highway for a decent amount of time, I did 100 miles with just over 1/4th of a tank of gas. I thought I was FINALLY going to break the 166 m.p.t. I was wrong. I ended up only getting 162 miles to the tank when I filled up next.

My Compass has scheduled maintenance in the next week, so I will asses this problem. It's absolutely ridiculous. If you find answers quicker than I do, please post back!!

post #14 of 32 Old 01-01-2015, 09:28 PM

Garage
[QUOTE=sillysilberman;56169]
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanizulysses View Post

Finally I'm not the only one! Like I said before I can't get the car past 166 miles to a tank no matter how conservative I drive.

Get this: I drove on the highway for a decent amount of time, I did 100 miles with just over 1/4th of a tank of gas. I thought I was FINALLY going to break the 166 m.p.t. I was wrong. I ended up only getting 162 miles to the tank when I filled up next.

My Compass has scheduled maintenance in the next week, so I will asses this problem. It's absolutely ridiculous. If you find answers quicker than I do, please post back!!

Yes i will definately let you know if i find something out my jeep went to the dealer service on tuesday and they should know something by the end of the week
post #15 of 32 Old 01-01-2015, 09:35 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
What is the temperature where you live. I get great mileage in the summer but when the temperature drops I get a large drop in fuel economy. My old 2008 Patriot did the same thing.

WK2 Headlight Swap
Magnaflow Muffler

post #16 of 32 Old 01-01-2015, 09:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
What is the temperature where you live. I get great mileage in the summer but when the temperature drops I get a large drop in fuel economy. My old 2008 Patriot did the same thing.
I live in Southern California. Temps average right now around 70-95 degrees (F).

Quote:
Yes i will definately let you know if i find something out my jeep went to the dealer service on tuesday and they should know something by the end of the week
Shweeett!
post #17 of 32 Old 01-02-2015, 10:44 PM

Garage
got my jeep back from the dealer and they told me their computer registered it getting 25.7 mpg. so i leave and drive 40 miles down the road and i already lost a 1/4 of a tank.

a friend told me they had a similar problem and their ECU had to be reconfigured that it was set up for more power

im going to take it to another dealership and have them look in to it
post #18 of 32 Old 01-25-2015, 04:02 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
got my jeep back from the dealer and they told me their computer registered it getting 25.7 mpg. so i leave and drive 40 miles down the road and i already lost a 1/4 of a tank.

a friend told me they had a similar problem and their ECU had to be reconfigured that it was set up for more power

im going to take it to another dealership and have them look in to it
My great apologies for bumping this thread.

So today (1/24/15), I had my 30K mile maintenance and service appointment. I talked to them about the MPG issue and how I'm only getting on average under 170 miles to the tank. The lady that confronted me in the vehicle service lane just told me "We check everything, we'll let you know".

Sure thing.

I ended up having the mechanic who worked on my Compass specifically come to the front office and talk to me. I told him about my issue, and he said that it could be the type of fuel I'm using. I use Regular 87 unleaded gas. He suggested that I switch to a higher octane fuel, like 91. He also suggested that I can try a fuel additive. I don't think a fuel type with 4 octane levels higher will make a 10+mpg difference, neither a fuel additive. The Compass is rated somewhere around 22c/30h, 25comb. I shouldn't be getting 10+mpg less than normal rated mpg's. That's even when I keep the car under 3K RPM's at all times.

With all that, I still feel like there is an actual issue in the end. I can't pass 170 miles, and I can't get anything over 13mpg. I drove about 50 miles since this morning from my appointment, and already used half a tank. My light came on, and I tracked 164 miles to the tank. Something just isn't right. Maybe I'm crazy.

2012 Jeep Compass Altitude
2.0L CVT2
36,XXX Miles

Last edited by sillysilberman; 01-25-2015 at 04:06 AM.
post #19 of 32 Old 01-25-2015, 06:15 AM

Garage
Yeah, adding higher octane gas wont do anything on these engines.

Im thinking, the fuel is evaporating out of your gas tank. Maybe it could be a bad gas cap or the EVAP system is not working properly. The O2 sensor could also cause this, have you ever had the check engine light on?

2014 Jeep Compass Limited 4x4
post #20 of 32 Old 01-25-2015, 06:50 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEF1ANT View Post
Yeah, adding higher octane gas wont do anything on these engines.

Im thinking, the fuel is evaporating out of your gas tank. Maybe it could be a bad gas cap or the EVAP system is not working properly. The O2 sensor could also cause this, have you ever had the check engine light on?
That's exactly what I thought. LOL. I literally laughed when the mechanic told me that.

I've never had any lights come on, except the gas light of course. I haven't had a single issue. The car hasn't had any lights, nor has it thrown any codes whatsoever. I think I might need to get in contact with the manufacture, and not a dealer this time. I mean I even have a brand new air filter in place, which I know an old clogged one will cause significant performance and mpg numbers to drop.

I forgot to mention that the mechanic suggested that I pay the $300 to get the injectors and throttle-body cleaned. I don't exactly trust dealers since most of the time it's a gimmick to get your money, and this guy sounded like he was absolutely full of sh*t.

I don't even know what to do at this point anymore. Trying to explain it to my dealer was difficult as is. They tried to convince me that it could highly be "bad gas". How could it be? With 13mpg, I fill up every three days, it can't possibly be bad gas. LOL.

2.0L CVT2
36,XXX Miles
post #21 of 32 Old 01-26-2015, 03:26 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Have you changed spark plugs recently. These engine use copper core spark plugs and they don't last as long as spark plugs in other vehicles. Could try changing them, its a cheap method to try

WK2 Headlight Swap
Magnaflow Muffler

post #22 of 32 Old 01-26-2015, 03:32 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Have you changed spark plugs recently. These engine use copper core spark plugs and they don't last as long as spark plugs in other vehicles. Could try changing them, its a cheap method to try
No I haven't, but I guess it's worth a try. I just did a fuel additive today just to see what happens. Doesn't hurt trying. If it doesn't work, I'm going to pay the $300 bucks to get the injectors and throttle-body completely cleaned like the dealer quoted me as an available option.

2.0L CVT2
36,XXX Miles
post #23 of 32 Old 02-20-2015, 05:09 PM

I'm curious if the OP was able to get the MPG issue straightened out?

I found a calculator to check what different gas mileage you can expect depending on speed on the following page:

Gas Mileage Tips - Driving More Efficiently

I noticed my tire pressure was 28 psi all the way around and have upped it to the proper 35 psi.

I'm going to TRY and drive less aggressively, keep my speed no higher than 65 and see what kind of difference it makes. Currently a get 23~24 MPG and I'll post my results in a few weeks. I'm kind of hoping I don't notice a difference so I can continue to drive and accelerate fast.

post #24 of 32 Old 02-20-2015, 07:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaKen View Post
I'm curious if the OP was able to get the MPG issue straightened out?

I found a calculator to check what different gas mileage you can expect depending on speed on the following page:

Gas Mileage Tips - Driving More Efficiently

I noticed my tire pressure was 28 psi all the way around and have upped it to the proper 35 psi.

I'm going to TRY and drive less aggressively, keep my speed no higher than 65 and see what kind of difference it makes. Currently a get 23~24 MPG and I'll post my results in a few weeks. I'm kind of hoping I don't notice a difference so I can continue to drive and accelerate fast.

Unfortunately, that's a negative on that note. I have yet to find a solution, and so far I'm on the edge of getting over it and dealing with it. I emailed the general sales rep at my local CDJR dealer, and it's been almost a week with no response yet. I'm awaiting his words. He's my last hope. It truly doesn't bother me that much, but if there is one problem who knows how many underlying hidden issues there are. My tires are always filled to their proper PSI which is no higher than 40psi.

With my past two tanks, I have made to different experiments.

Tank 1: Under 3K rpm at all times. -- ~14MPG at 170 miles to the tank.

Tank 2: Flooring it whenever possible. Hard acceleration constantly. ~13.5MPG at 167 miles to tank.

(95% city, 5% highway)

I have heard that the Jeep Compass has two tanks (?) and there is a tube that runs fuel from one tank to the other so the engine only uses what it needs and no more, thus having better MPG. Is this correct? If so, maybe I need to have the tube or both tanks replaced.

Like I have said in my previous comments: I just had my 30,000 mile service/maintenance done, and I talked to the service staff and the mechanic that worked on my Jeep. All suggested to try a fuel additive, and I didn't get any improvement. I can do 120 miles in the first half tank, and then only 30-50 miles in the other half. It's very weird. I waste almost a quarter tank doing around 30 miles. LOL.

2.0L CVT2
36,XXX Miles
post #25 of 32 Old 02-21-2015, 12:53 AM

I have been off the forum for a while but I am sad to hear your are still having problems. Take it up with Chrysler customer relations or escalate it to one of the auto protection groups which live to address manufacture problems.

Bottom line its not normal. Only the sharpest tech might know what is going on but the two tank aspect is a not correct. I believe there is a baffle/divider to keep gas for adversely moving around. However, if drive to a 1/4 tank or so and fill it up, drive taking note of the miles driven and fill up again. The calculation is your miles per gallon. Plain and simple. You are replacing gas used but if the gas used is very low it may be a false fill or the nozzle is kicking out prematurely.

I hope you get it resolved but I would not leave it linger. I had to have my tank replace due to a design issue forcing the nozzle to kick off even at small flow rates.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #26 of 32 Old 02-27-2015, 09:05 PM

Garage
I can only get 19 to 20 mpg. That really sucks for 4 banger. What does everyone else get on there 2015 FDll
post #27 of 32 Old 03-02-2015, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett5 View Post
I can only get 19 to 20 mpg. That really sucks for 4 banger. What does everyone else get on there 2015 FDll
I have an FDI and just finished a little test. I drive mostly highway and if I drive what I consider normal I average 23 mpg (fast lane on the highway). By modifying my driving style I can get 26 mpg but that means the slow lane on the highway, never more than 65 mph, slow accelerations, no passing on one lane back roads (no hard accelerations) and coasting longer before coming to a light/stop. Also on back roads not pressing harder on the pedal while climbing hills and not letting the vehicle warm up for more than 30 seconds.

Last edited by BubbaKen; 03-02-2015 at 12:46 PM.
post #28 of 32 Old 03-02-2015, 05:03 PM

Garage
I get about 22-23mpg on my 2014 compass but I got a RRO lift and larger tires (235/65/R17 but I think that's about normal if I start driving slower probly get a little better but not much if any at all I also have a manual trans so that might make the diffrents
post #29 of 32 Old 03-11-2015, 01:27 AM

I have 2015 compass with the 2.4 6 speed 4x4. I got it with 22 miles on it and now have about 350. I am having the same problem with gas mileage. I am at a 1/4 tank and I'm only at 140 miles to the tank. This is driving me nuts. Before my compass I had a 99 Cherokee with the 4.0 and I was getting better mileage then my compass now lol. But I think there will be some type of recall with this. I am calling the dealership tomorrow.
post #30 of 32 Old 08-20-2017, 05:29 PM

Hi I am having the same issue with my 2012 compass. Anything ever come up as the problem?
Thanks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in