Gas mileage question - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 5 Old 03-11-2015, 02:11 AM Thread Starter

Gas mileage question

Hi I have a 2015 compass with a 2.4 4x4. It seems my mileage is not what they claim. I filled up a few days ago and I almost have a 1/4 tank and I am only at 140 miles. I also drive like a grandpa, very easy on it. And I have about 350 miles on it. I took it in for a high idling problem. They did something with the computer. Is this normal? I don't think it is. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-15-2015, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newguycompass2015 View Post
Hi I have a 2015 compass with a 2.4 4x4. It seems my mileage is not what they claim. I filled up a few days ago and I almost have a 1/4 tank and I am only at 140 miles. I also drive like a grandpa, very easy on it. And I have about 350 miles on it. I took it in for a high idling problem. They did something with the computer. Is this normal? I don't think it is. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks
WELCOME! To the club! I have posted on several different forums about this same exact problem. It makes me shake in adrenaline from anger, because the dealer's refuse to give me a valid conclusion.

I have a 2012 Compass Altitude, 2.0L CVT2. It just hit 33K miles, so it's relatively still 'new'. I have been getting around 13MPG (yes you read that right), and can't pass the 170 mile to the tank, mark.

The damn thing is rated for 22 city, ~30 highway. I can drive 20 miles and waste 1/4 a tank. The crazy part, is I can do 100 miles in the first 1/2 tank, and then only do 40 miles in the second half.

Drove to Vegas with the car, which was a big mistake because I wasted 4 tanks of gas.

No matter how conservative I drive (no more than 65MPH, and under 3K rpm at all time), or how rough I drive (flooring all the time), I get the same miles to the tank. I talked to my dealer several times when it went in for the 30K mile service, and they said it was normal. NORMAL? I don't think it's normal for a car to get more than 10mpg under what it is advertised. I know the advertised MPG has already been ruled out as slightly incorrect, but still. They suggested a fuel additive, which I tried and I got worse mpg.

I don't even know what to do. My next bet is to see if they will replace the gas tank, and the gas pump, when it goes into the dealer next week for some rattles.

I also fill up every 3 days, and I never leave the city, which is only like a 30 mile radius.

If you have any other information on your end regarding any possible answers, please post back in this thread.

2012 Jeep Compass Altitude
2.0L CVT2
36,XXX Miles
post #3 of 5 Old 03-16-2015, 09:37 PM

well from what i've seen, the consensus out there is the CVT2 is a gas drinker. I have the regular CVT and i get about 25-30 MPGs with my 2.4L (depending on what season it is).

18 Redline Pearl w/Two–Tone Paint Compass Latitude 2.4L, 4x4, Auto Mods/Addons:
Eonon GA2168K Android 10.1" Screen Double Din Car Multimedia Center
Previous Cars:
11 Mineral Gray Metallic Compass Sport 2.4L, 4x4, Auto
08 Red Compass Sport 2.4L, 4x4, Manual
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 03-17-2015, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by w4rh4wk View Post
well from what i've seen, the consensus out there is the CVT2 is a gas drinker. I have the regular CVT and i get about 25-30 MPGs with my 2.4L (depending on what season it is).
Interesting. I don't doubt that. It is a gas drinker, but thankfully I'm not the only one. I've gone crazy looking for answers. lol.

2012 Jeep Compass Altitude
2.0L CVT2
36,XXX Miles

Last edited by sillysilberman; 03-19-2015 at 02:51 AM.
post #5 of 5 Old 03-19-2015, 06:17 PM

Garage
I got a 2.4L FDI I have the RR lift and 2 inches Larger tires(235/65/17) as long as I drive no faster that 70mph and keep rpms lower than 3,000 and shift nicely(manual tran) I get about 23-24 mpg

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in