Rattle Problem Solved. - Jeep Compass Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By jeepney_driver

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 21 Old 03-15-2015, 07:40 PM Thread Starter

Rattle Problem Solved.

Ever since I got the car, I have had some serious rattles. My two front doors rattle like there is something loose dangling in the bottom. I drive with my left leg pushed against the door to stop it from rattling while driving. The door front drive and passenger doors are getting fixed at the dealer next week.

The big problem was a rattle in the rear by the tailgate/hatch. Normal driving, and especially over bumps was a rattle that seemed for severe than anything. It was a loud, quick, banging noise.

I experimented with some blue painters tape, and taped down anything I thought would rattle (various bendable plastic in the back, wiper, etc.), and the rattle was still there. I noticed that the little spoiler on the hatch wiggled a lot. So I took some sticky foam and shoved it underneath the trim. Dove around, and the loud banging rattle was gone. So I shoved pieces of strip foam underneath the lining where the spoiler meets the glass, which you can't even notice.

Just thought I would let ya'll know to check your hatch spoiler to see if that's the cause of your rear rattle. I've seen a few posts about this rattle problem, but it would far be too much post in each thread, and that's also extremely annoying to everyone else.

2012 Jeep Compass Altitude
2.0L CVT2
36,XXX Miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 03-16-2015, 09:33 PM

Interesting, I had a rattle happening at random stop lights. It was loud and could easily be heard from outside of the car. For me, it was a hood latch that was causing my rattle. I put some Velcro on it, and it worked like a charm.

18 Redline Pearl w/Two–Tone Paint Compass Latitude 2.4L, 4x4, Auto Mods/Addons:
Eonon GA2168K Android 10.1" Screen Double Din Car Multimedia Center
Previous Cars:
11 Mineral Gray Metallic Compass Sport 2.4L, 4x4, Auto
08 Red Compass Sport 2.4L, 4x4, Manual

Last edited by w4rh4wk; 03-16-2015 at 10:30 PM.
post #3 of 21 Old 03-17-2015, 12:25 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by w4rh4wk View Post
Interesting, I had a rattle happening at random stop lights. It was loud and could easily be heard from outside of the car. For me, it was a hood latch that was causing my rattle. I put some Velcro on it, and it worked like a charm.
Oh wow! I thought the rattle in my Compass was either the license plate frame, or the interior rear hatch cover (the plastic panel on the inside of the hatch). So I took the plastic cover off, which was horridly hard. I went a head and lined the entire front and back with strip foam. You'll never notice it, and it matches the grey-black color.

I drove around and it was still there, this my hand was resting on the spoiler and it was super lose and squeaky. Go figure.

I've heard several complains about the front suspension making loud compression noises when going over bumps however. Mine do it too, more than likely normal however I have never noticed the same thing in other vehicles.

2.0L CVT2
36,XXX Miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old 03-18-2015, 11:04 AM

My 2014 limited engine vibrates a bit when on idle I.e waiting in traffic.
Then when I give it a little gas vibration goes.
post #5 of 21 Old 03-18-2015, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5un1688 View Post
My 2014 limited engine vibrates a bit when on idle I.e waiting in traffic.
Then when I give it a little gas vibration goes.
Yup that was exactly what was happening with mine.

18 Redline Pearl w/Two–Tone Paint Compass Latitude 2.4L, 4x4, Auto Mods/Addons:
Eonon GA2168K Android 10.1" Screen Double Din Car Multimedia Center
Previous Cars:
11 Mineral Gray Metallic Compass Sport 2.4L, 4x4, Auto
08 Red Compass Sport 2.4L, 4x4, Manual
post #6 of 21 Old 03-18-2015, 07:58 PM

Garage
My 2008 does the same thing. It sounds like the muffler/exhaust rattling. When I give it a little gas, it stops.
post #7 of 21 Old 03-19-2015, 02:53 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by w4rh4wk View Post
Yup that was exactly what was happening with mine.
The only thing that 'rattles' at idle per se', is the steering wheel airbag cover. It vibrates and makes a subtle noise. No idea how to stop that though.

2.0L CVT2
36,XXX Miles
post #8 of 21 Old 03-19-2015, 02:54 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdsjeep2008 View Post
My 2008 does the same thing. It sounds like the muffler/exhaust rattling. When I give it a little gas, it stops.
First I've heard that! Does you Compass' engine make a high pitch humming noise at idle (like under 1200RPM)? Mine does, but the second I touch the gas, the noise goes away. That one irritates me a lot.

2.0L CVT2
36,XXX Miles
post #9 of 21 Old 03-19-2015, 04:06 AM

Seems like everything is loose then...
Cost cutting on labour to screw everything down?
Haha
post #10 of 21 Old 03-19-2015, 04:49 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5un1688 View Post
Seems like everything is loose then...
Cost cutting on labour to screw everything down?
Haha
Who even knows. I feel like that's the problem, but at least it's nothing that I can't fix, nor would cost me anything anyways.

2.0L CVT2
36,XXX Miles
post #11 of 21 Old 03-20-2015, 02:30 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysilberman View Post
First I've heard that! Does you Compass' engine make a high pitch humming noise at idle (like under 1200RPM)? Mine does, but the second I touch the gas, the noise goes away. That one irritates me a lot.
No my engine doesn't make that noise. My noise doesn't happen all the time but definately comes from the back end and I'm relatively sure it's the muffler/exhaust rattling due to the slight mobility of the hangers.
post #12 of 21 Old 04-20-2015, 05:31 AM

Garage
Hunting for noise

I bought my jeep compass when it first came out in 2007. Needless to say, Daimler Chrysler did not do a good job in the noise department.
Here's what I found (and fixed):
Foam inside bumpers made noise - fixed with silicone sealant
Front grill insert made noise - fixed with silicone sealant
Rear plate rattled - added two screws - plate now affixed solidly does not make noise even with subwoofer at max
Middle passenger seat belt swivel made noise, fixed with homemade plastic washer.
Lubed ball joints.
Replaced worn inner outer steering tierod ball joints. Lubed the new one prior to install
Lubed all sway bar links.
Replaced worn sway bar bushings
Applied silicone sealant to loose plastic shield under the car.
Roof rack made noise. Applied silicone sealant between roof rack and gasket especially where it clips and the square shaped areas. Believe it or not this is a big source of the most irritating noise on this car! People spent lots of money thinking the suspension was the problem. Funny the patriot did not make that mysterious noise. It has a differently designed roof rack!
jaketsnake likes this.

Last edited by jeepney_driver; 04-20-2015 at 05:34 AM.
post #13 of 21 Old 04-23-2015, 03:10 AM

"Just thought I would let ya'll know to check your hatch spoiler to see if that's the cause of your rear rattle."

My spoiler is quite loose as well. Why is it loose on a new car? Strange.
post #14 of 21 Old 04-25-2015, 06:01 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepney_driver View Post
I bought my jeep compass when it first came out in 2007. Needless to say, Daimler Chrysler did not do a good job in the noise department.
Here's what I found (and fixed):
Foam inside bumpers made noise - fixed with silicone sealant
Front grill insert made noise - fixed with silicone sealant
Rear plate rattled - added two screws - plate now affixed solidly does not make noise even with subwoofer at max
Middle passenger seat belt swivel made noise, fixed with homemade plastic washer.
Lubed ball joints.
Replaced worn inner outer steering tierod ball joints. Lubed the new one prior to install
Lubed all sway bar links.
Replaced worn sway bar bushings
Applied silicone sealant to loose plastic shield under the car.
Roof rack made noise. Applied silicone sealant between roof rack and gasket especially where it clips and the square shaped areas. Believe it or not this is a big source of the most irritating noise on this car! People spent lots of money thinking the suspension was the problem. Funny the patriot did not make that mysterious noise. It has a differently designed roof rack!
Love this! I might have to do a quick search and check through your list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEMA_Phil View Post
"Just thought I would let ya'll know to check your hatch spoiler to see if that's the cause of your rear rattle."

My spoiler is quite loose as well. Why is it loose on a new car? Strange.
It is very strange. My Compass was Certified Pre-Owned with under 30K miles. The spoiler was a lot of the rattling. I still have a HORRID rattle in my front passenger and driver doors. I just deal with it. I might have to take this weekend and take the panels off and see what's good. I've heard some people have had small rocks make the rattle in the drain tubes, but I'm pretty sure an actual part rattle and a rock rattle are two completely different sounds.

2.0L CVT2
36,XXX Miles
post #15 of 21 Old 07-27-2015, 05:41 PM

Garage
thanks will check it out...had my 2012 Compass in twice to the dealer who says after replacing a couple of stabilizer bushings: problem solved. After I pointed out to them the noise still exist they tried a couple of other things: put stuff on all the bushings to soften them. Dealers says suspension is fine: noise is made -sounds like something bumping in the rear sometimes while moving, then when coming to a stop or backing up. Sounds like metal on metal even when vehicle is stopped or getting in our out of vehicle. Only 50,000 miles, 4wheel drive with all maintenance up to date.
post #16 of 21 Old 03-02-2016, 11:58 PM

My Compass has had rattles since 10,000 miles and the dealer was no help. It now has 50,000 and I found a service tech who knows his stuff- he fixed all the squeeks and rattles- put more screws in the license plate bracket and engine cover, put foam strips on the gas tank straps, lubed parking brake cables and bushing contact points. That fixed it.
post #17 of 21 Old 03-03-2016, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
My Compass has had rattles since 10,000 miles and the dealer was no help. It now has 50,000 and I found a service tech who knows his stuff- he fixed all the squeeks and rattles- put more screws in the license plate bracket and engine cover, put foam strips on the gas tank straps, lubed parking brake cables and bushing contact points. That fixed it.

That doesn't mean much.

There is no indication of the vehicles Year, model, engine, Power train. There are a lot of variations across the years.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #18 of 21 Old 03-04-2016, 01:43 AM

OK. It's a 2014 Sport 2X4 with the 2.4 and 6 speed automatic. No hard usage and serviced regularly.
post #19 of 21 Old 03-04-2016, 01:46 AM

Also should add, it has had no other problems- been a good vehicle. I would buy another. In fact my son just bought a 2015 Patriot Sport FWD, 2.0 with stick shift.
post #20 of 21 Old 03-04-2016, 01:53 AM

Its not that old to have all them rattles. Must be poor assemble or sloppy. Knowone has posted that thus far here.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #21 of 21 Old 03-07-2016, 01:38 PM

Mine was vibrating at stop lights. I saw in another thread where someone had adjusted his hood and it stopped. Happy to say I raised mine by one turn counter clock wise on Friday and not more vibration!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in