Debating to buy a compass, need some help :) - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 15 Old 12-15-2010, 02:30 PM Thread Starter

Question Debating to buy a compass, need some help :)

Hello all,

I am currently on a test drive with a 2007 Compass Sport 4x4 with approx. 79k miles on it sale price $11,900.

I currently drive a 2004 Saturn Ion Redline with 37k miles on it.

We live in Michigan and of course, this little car (i love it to death) isn't safe or reliable in our winter weather.

Well, anyway I've read some reviews about the compass and I'm torn. I love the way it drives, it feels nice and the 4x4 works really well. I'm torn because I'm wondering if this is just too much for this vehicle...
The cons of the compass were "blind spots" "no power" "too small"....

I'm just looking for ya'lls honest opinions and experiences with the vehicle. What to look for and what has gone wrong...

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 12-15-2010, 02:46 PM Thread Starter

Oh, and where the heck is the hood latch?! :)

It's killing my hands trying to find it!
post #3 of 15 Old 12-15-2010, 06:08 PM

Garage
Hello! Welcome to the forum.

I sold my modified Mazda3 to buy Compass. I absolutely love it and I am sure you would love it too. Driving it in the summer is great with my sunroof and my premium sound system. But driving it in the winter is just amazing. I feel absolutely safe when I drive it. The only negative point I think is the height. It's a bit lower than most SUV and you feel it when you go off the roads!

Of course, with a 2.4L engine (can't believe they also offer it with 2.0L) this Jeep is limited. It has a little lack of power but you are able to get on the highway at reasonnable speed without being at wide open throttle. But at least you get a good gas consumption.

The blind spots con is also true. You really have to defrost that little side window located at the rear in order to see everything.

If you buy it, go with the 4x4! And a lot of people don't recommend the Jeep CVT transmission. I have the manual transmission and I love it but the other members might want to make an input on this.

So I think that the Compass is a pretty good option. Of course it has some negative points but all cars have some. Depends on your needs too. I don't need to pull heavy things, I don't need a 4.0L V8 machine, I don't want 13mpg! So for me, Compass is a good choice.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

HID Trois-Rivières /
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by mowgli; 12-15-2010 at 06:11 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 12-15-2010, 07:26 PM Thread Starter

thank you for the information

i'm an idiot and it's actually a 2009 ... it was a lease turn in (the person drove A LOT) but the vehicle is in good condition and I don't drive all that much (I have a 2004 Ion Redline with only 37k on it) so Im so torn. I dont know if I want to consider buying it or leave it...
post #5 of 15 Old 12-16-2010, 02:59 AM
Administrator

I would have to agree with what's been said here so far. The blind spots are definitely noticeable just because it's such a thick C-pillar, guess I just got used to it over time. To me, the 2.4L/CVT is a nice combination. I only noticed a lag when trying to merge into traffic going up an incline, but really, it's got plenty of get up and go. I like the way the Compass handles, very roomy interior, too and stylish design, just a few of the factors that led me to get one and I really doubt you'll be disappointed. Are they willing to negotiate the price due to the high mileage for it only being an '09?

- Cherokee

My 2007 Jeep Compass Sport, Bright Silver Metallic, 26E, CVT II, Driver Convenience Group, Sunroof, Trailer Tow Prep Group, 4x2

1991 XJ Cherokee Sport 4X4 4.0 H/O I6
2008 Dodge Ram 1500 ST, SWB Reg Cab, Bright Silver Metallic, Trailer Tow Package

JEEP - Just Enjoy Everything, Period.....
post #6 of 15 Old 12-16-2010, 04:04 PM

We have a 2010 that we purchased in August. We traded in a 93 mini-van. Both my husband and I have always wanted a Jeep, and with a generous rebate, it was affordable for us. We essentially chose the Jeep Compass because of the size, my husband uses a wheelchair, and we needed enough cargo room to fit his wheelchair and his rolling walker along with a large dog. We have the 2.4 with the CVT tranny. We have the 2 wheel drive. I would have preferred the manual transmission, but the didn't have one available. The CVT is wonderful in the snow of which we have had alot of lately 17 inches last weekend). Most of my driving in in town, to/from work, errands, etc. I haven't had a problem with acceleration. I guess for my driving, it is sufficient. We recently had a 2 week period where we used a rental car - and quickly discovered that a sedan doesn't work for us.

A girl and her Jeep - a beautiful thing

Barbara Frechette
2010 White Jeep Cherokee Sport
St. Paul, MN, USA
post #7 of 15 Old 12-19-2010, 04:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnl3ck View Post
Hello all,

I am currently on a test drive with a 2007 Compass Sport 4x4 with approx. 79k miles on it sale price $11,900.

I currently drive a 2004 Saturn Ion Redline with 37k miles on it.

We live in Michigan and of course, this little car (i love it to death) isn't safe or reliable in our winter weather.

Well, anyway I've read some reviews about the compass and I'm torn. I love the way it drives, it feels nice and the 4x4 works really well. I'm torn because I'm wondering if this is just too much for this vehicle...
The cons of the compass were "blind spots" "no power" "too small"....

I'm just looking for ya'lls honest opinions and experiences with the vehicle. What to look for and what has gone wrong...

Thanks!
i'll try to make life easy for you..

pros of Comp 2007 - Good gas mileage. Easy to park. Inexpensive insurance. Good cargo space

cons of Comp 2007 - Not an offroad vehicle. you should consider only if you really need an SUV.

This vehicle is excellent for suburban and highway use, and it's fun to own. It's not a macho mudmobile; don't expect to use it like one.
post #8 of 15 Old 12-19-2010, 04:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowgli View Post
Hello! Welcome to the forum.

I sold my modified Mazda3 to buy Compass. I absolutely love it and I am sure you would love it too. Driving it in the summer is great with my sunroof and my premium sound system. But driving it in the winter is just amazing. I feel absolutely safe when I drive it. The only negative point I think is the height. It's a bit lower than most SUV and you feel it when you go off the roads!

Of course, with a 2.4L engine (can't believe they also offer it with 2.0L) this Jeep is limited. It has a little lack of power but you are able to get on the highway at reasonnable speed without being at wide open throttle. But at least you get a good gas consumption.

The blind spots con is also true. You really have to defrost that little side window located at the rear in order to see everything.

If you buy it, go with the 4x4! And a lot of people don't recommend the Jeep CVT transmission. I have the manual transmission and I love it but the other members might want to make an input on this.

So I think that the Compass is a pretty good option. Of course it has some negative points but all cars have some. Depends on your needs too. I don't need to pull heavy things, I don't need a 4.0L V8 machine, I don't want 13mpg! So for me, Compass is a good choice.
2011 jeep compass includes a 2.4 liter inline four-cylinder engine of turbo-diesel and gasoline type. This engine is capable of generating 172 hp and it has a front wheel drive option. It is associated with 6-speed manual transmission and the torque developed is pretty competitive with the horsepower.
post #9 of 15 Old 12-19-2010, 04:19 PM
Banned

The estimated fuel efficiency of the 2011 Jeep Compass is 23 mpg in the city and 28 mpg on the highways. The price of the new Compass will be around $18,720 tentatively.
post #10 of 15 Old 02-02-2011, 05:08 PM

And let's add something of importance here ... it is made in AMERICA. The Nissan Rogue and Hyundai Tucson (two vehicles I also considered) are similar vehicles and neither of those are made on this continent. The Jeep is made in the USA and is right in line price wise with its competitors. Personally, I liked the Compass better in straight-up comparison, too. Get the Compass and help support our country.
post #11 of 15 Old 02-02-2011, 07:22 PM
Super Moderator

Just to correct the last post the Nissan Rogue is being assembled in Canton, Mississipi and the Tuscon in differnet part of the world.

Life is short, Break the rules,
Forgive quickly, Love truly,
Laugh uncontrollably...
Never regret anything that made you smile!
Have a wonderful day!

post #12 of 15 Old 02-02-2011, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feel for life View Post
... the Nissan Rogue is being assembled in Canton, Mississipi ...
Thank you for correcting me. I based my info on what the Nissan salesman told me when I drove it, as I specifically asked that question. Surprise, suprise that the salesman did not know what he was talking about.
post #13 of 15 Old 02-02-2011, 07:27 PM
Super Moderator

and you trust a car saleman ????

Life is short, Break the rules,
Forgive quickly, Love truly,
Laugh uncontrollably...
Never regret anything that made you smile!
Have a wonderful day!

post #14 of 15 Old 02-02-2011, 07:40 PM

Garage
Quote:
Attached Images
File Type: gif 15[1].gif (570 Bytes, 27 views)
File Type: gif lol[1].gif (11.3 KB, 27 views)
post #15 of 15 Old 02-03-2011, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Yeah, no doubt ... silly me.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in