4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 04-03-2015, 11:51 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Guess me and my family are suckers for buying "bad" vehicles.

Have owned MK's (Compass/Patriot for over 8 years) and had a few minor problems here and there. My heavily modified and abused 2012 Compass offroad has stood up well. Things that have broken on it have been a result of me treating it like a rock crawler and going crazy with it off road.

My wife drives a 2015 Jeep Cherokee Limited, fully loaded V6 with active drive 2, my sister has a 2015 Cherokee Trailhawk, and my friend who I wheel with drives a 2014 Cherokee Trailhawk, very few issues here. If we believed all the **** that these auto journals talked about with these vehicles we would have never bought them, which would be terrible because these vehicles are awesome. The Cherokee especially. The level of refinement and capability for its' price make the KL Cherokee a great buy. If the new Cherokee was able to be lifted I would have bought one already, but it can't so i'm sticking with my compass for a while longer.

That's not to say others don't have problems with their vehicles but I think i'm living proof the platform isn't that bad, still stands up to everything I can throw at it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 Red FDII Jeep Compass Limited
235/75/15 Wranger Territory AT
WK2 Headlight Swap
Magnaflow Muffler

Full Interior LED's + Front/Rear Signal & Backup LEDS

post #3 of 10 Old 04-03-2015, 12:26 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler-98-W68 View Post
Guess me and my family are suckers for buying "bad" vehicles.

Have owned MK's (Compass/Patriot for over 8 years) and had a few minor problems here and there. My heavily modified and abused 2012 Compass offroad has stood up well. Things that have broken on it have been a result of me treating it like a rock crawler and going crazy with it off road.

My wife drives a 2015 Jeep Cherokee Limited, fully loaded V6 with active drive 2, my sister has a 2015 Cherokee Trailhawk, and my friend who I wheel with drives a 2014 Cherokee Trailhawk, very few issues here. If we believed all the **** that these auto journals talked about with these vehicles we would have never bought them, which would be terrible because these vehicles are awesome. The Cherokee especially. The level of refinement and capability for its' price make the KL Cherokee a great buy. If the new Cherokee was able to be lifted I would have bought one already, but it can't so i'm sticking with my compass for a while longer.

That's not to say others don't have problems with their vehicles but I think i'm living proof the platform isn't that bad, still stands up to everything I can throw at it.
I too have read bad things about the compass and even though I have only had it for 2800 miles I like it. I will take it off road soon and see that part of the car perform and will make another judgment on it. The wife has the Cherokee 4x4 active drive 1 and loves it and yes we had the trans replaced but it seems ok now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 04-03-2015, 03:50 PM Thread Starter

That was an assessment from the Pros. Listing pretty much all the Jeep Models except the Grand Cherokee if I recall. I know personally that their millage claims were bogus and not even remotely achievable in their engines.
Jeeps built to 2004 (grand Cherokees) were robust solid and maintainable. Some design problems like Blend Doors failures were chronic. But slowly degraded after that platform.

I just chuckle when I read brand new owners with few miles having major vibration problems from either the engine and/or transmission in their build. This never should happen and already a few have posted on that. Everything is new, unworn, clean and yet problems.

I think most of us work real hard to save $$ to buy and new vehicle. Being new problems should be few and minor at best especially with few miles driven.

This is not the first year that these vehicles have been flagged by various organizations to be warry. Even when I bought I read a lot of problems in 2007 but figured that by 2009 the Jeep would have done the right thing and corrected them. I was wrong very little was done to the power train issues which continued to fail early in life. Its not what one expects to experience in a new vehicle. Nor visiting your dealership for repairs several times a month continually. I did for most of the warranty period for new and continuing problems they could not find a fix for.

I have since bought a used Sante Fe AWD and am loving it after I sold my Grand Cherokee.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #5 of 10 Old 04-03-2015, 06:44 PM

Garage
I read the part about the compass I have the 2014 compass I just hit 18k miles on it and it still runs like a champ not one problem even have the RRO lift and 2 inch bigger tiers ( 235/65/R17) and 1.5" spacers not one problem I take it off road on back trails hit mud holes and everything no problem even with the lift and larger tiers I still get around 300+ miles to the gallon as long as I don't gun it down the highway (still driving at 75mph just saying) or at stops I would love it if people got to hear from some people who owns them about the good things about the compass and not all the bad ones

Last edited by LordReddawg; 04-03-2015 at 06:47 PM.
post #6 of 10 Old 04-03-2015, 07:00 PM Thread Starter

...I still get around 300+ miles to the gallon ..."

wow then we're getting truly ripped off here if Europian builds get that w/gas or diesel. You did not specify your engine. But I want one!!

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #7 of 10 Old 04-03-2015, 07:50 PM

"Guess me and my family are suckers for buying "bad" vehicles."

I know, right? I had Mopars back in the bad old days, too, and you couldn't kill them. Reading these reviews I'm very suspicious of a lot of the auto pubs, there's a lot of pimpin' going on. Oh, well, I'll just enjoy my Compass, the $250 pmt the cheap insurance and tighter handling than the Ford I tested that they wanted $22k for.
post #8 of 10 Old 04-03-2015, 08:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEMA_Phil View Post
"Guess me and my family are suckers for buying "bad" vehicles."

I know, right? I had Mopars back in the bad old days, too, and you couldn't kill them. Reading these reviews I'm very suspicious of a lot of the auto pubs, there's a lot of pimpin' going on. Oh, well, I'll just enjoy my Compass, the $250 pmt the cheap insurance and tighter handling than the Ford I tested that they wanted $22k for.
I believe you got the standard shift transmission from previous reading. You won't have the CVT woes I had or others. If you look after it and watch that the seals don't start to leak you'll likely be ok with that build. Not a hole lot to go wrong if the parts were all good out the door.

Don't cheap out on the oil changes. Do them more often then they say you can get away with. I'd also use Synthetic oil especially over the winter time as I do and even summer since I find the oil cheap enough on sale and with a good filter it will stand up a bit longer. I use an extended length filter (about and inch longer). More filtration capacity. Wix tech gave me the number of a few over sized ones that conform to the spec's. I am no using the biggest as there were wider and you could not guarantee them to be fully compatible.

Lub your door hinges often. Otherwise you'll have trouble eventually. I do several times a year and just before winter as well.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #9 of 10 Old 04-03-2015, 08:14 PM

That's good advice tripplec, thanks. I tend to be an oil over-changer, and I really like the synth in my motorcycle. What a difference! The Compass' little 2.0 is rev happy and well behaved -- it's not that loud though everyone complains about noise. Really, the transmission is louder than the engine is. The GEMAs are brawny little engines. I'm more worried about the front end design flaws I've heard about.

Yes, I got the 5 speed, manual windows. I believe it's called the Special Trailer Park Model lol. I love it. Less to break. The hill start assist thing took a little getting used to but now I like it. It's weird how much is standard even in the stripped model. I mean, cruise control, stability control, ABS, hill hold, lighted cup holders and Jeep floor mats... However, I don't see the standard Jeep compass, which is strange since it's a Compass.
Smitty likes this.
post #10 of 10 Old 04-03-2015, 08:48 PM Thread Starter

As for the mentioned leak. The clutch is a hydraulic actuator from your pedal. Its not mechanical as in the old days. If that clutch piston starts leaking you won't be able to pull the clutch to shift. I am sure its expensive to repair. I read at least one person were it went south. Just keep and eye on it when you're under doing oil changes. If its gets wet you had better take it straight to the dealer. Don't wait tell it quits (out of warranty)!!

The front end is only as good as the parts quality. Hopefully they're not using the cheap steel and Chinese part they used to. Many said the pivots were not pre-lubricated and fitted dry so they wore out very fast. The Ball joint was one of the first to go and easiest to check for wear.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in