Bedded My Brakes Today - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 7 Old 04-07-2015, 06:11 PM Thread Starter

Bedded My Brakes Today

Took the Compass out to the freeway early this morning to bed the brakes. Went through six cycles of rapid decel from 60-15 mph but couldn't get any noticeable fade or lining stench. This despite having tiny little drums out back.

I did get some chirpies and a slight pull to the right. I'm going to check this afternoon, and hope to see some brake lining material on my rotors. Otherwise I'll have to do it again lol.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-08-2015, 03:46 PM

Depends on the pads as well. Ceramic pads were best to use especially on the rear. Since the OEM pads always squealed first thing morning backing up. Maybe they've fixed that now but. I switch to ceramic pads or Wagner Quiet pads which I believer are also ceramic. I am not sure now.

Ceramic won't give you the burning smell you typically got from a cheaper metallic pad which may have asbestos or some other components in the material which burns and may glaze over time.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 Old 04-08-2015, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripplec View Post
Depends on the pads as well. Ceramic pads were best to use especially on the rear. Since the OEM pads always squealed first thing morning backing up. Maybe they've fixed that now but. I switch to ceramic pads or Wagner Quiet pads which I believer are also ceramic. I am not sure now.
Not fixed as of 2014 as mine squeaks every morning after backing up. Bean counters at Chrysler use inferior materials to save a penny and they hurt the brand name

2014 Granite FDI 2.4L 4x4 Jeep Compass Lattitude
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 04-09-2015, 01:48 AM Thread Starter

Yes, mine are just the stock pads that come with the car. I did a second session of bedding last night. This time there was definitely fade in the rear drum brakes, so the ABS system was struggling to keep up and the Compass would shrug to the right under hard braking. Still no fade in the front.

However, I do have the nice blue hue I was looking for on the rotors, and there is an even coating of pad material. So far, so good.

The pedal feels better now, and so far no squeaking or squealing. Just some funny chirping last night when as the ABS kicked in in "freak out" mode lol.

Through it all I got 28 mpg combined hwy/city. Woo hoo!
post #5 of 7 Old 04-09-2015, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEMA_Phil View Post

Through it all I got 28 mpg combined hwy/city. Woo hoo!
You must have been doing that on a steep downhill with a tail wind !!!

LOL

Enjoy the MPG few get that. Unless going as above with no brakes. Ha ha

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 7 Old 04-09-2015, 05:10 PM

Garage
I had squeaking on mine as well but I got 15K miles now so no squeaking plus the breaks are good still. I Even get around 300-330miles to my tank so that's 22-24 MPG and I have a lift and larger triers 235/65/17. Soon getting 15" wheels with 235/75/R15 when I move to Alaska in the next 3 months
post #7 of 7 Old 04-09-2015, 10:12 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs up

"You must have been doing that on a steep downhill with a tail wind !!!"

I think it's all down to the five-speed. Everyone with the slushbox complains about mileage not living up to specs, so I avoided that option -- and saved lots of money, too.

I'll do some more accurate testing once the engine is broken in, but for now the gas mileage is spot on. I can usually "beat" the sticker with a stick. This engine is tough, though since it's like a motorcycle lump (no power until 3k rpm lol). It's hard to keep the revs down.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in