A Little Update -- (x-posted) - Jeep Compass Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By sillysilberman

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 8 Old 05-10-2015, 05:55 AM Thread Starter

A Little Update -- (x-posted)

Just an update:

So many of you have seen me complain about the gas mileage (lol my apologies).

My Compass started to say I needed an oil change about a week ago. So, of course I went online and scheduled a drop off date for an oil change. I figured I would add a few of the other issues I was having. The two front doors rattled horrendously, sharp turns emitted a loud buzzing noise, loud compression noised from the front and rear shocks over bumps, and of course the poor gas mileage.

I dropped the car off right when they opened. I sat down and had a discussion about the other stuff I had mentioned in my inquiry. The manager of the service department laughed when I told him that I was getting 11-14 miles per gallon. He told me that it was not normal, and I was so incredibly joyous that someone from the damn dealer sided with me telling me it was not normal. I've been told that it wasn't an issue from the start.

I don't always trust dealerships, so I always request that they call me before they do anything other than the discussed maintenance/service.

I got a call about three hours later telling me that the car needed some serious work done. Which scared me. The entire front and rear main suspension components needed replacing immediately. Front and rear sway bars, shock absorbers, lower arm controls, stabilizer bar, bushings, all shocks... you name it and more. Spark plugs were replaced and I had the throttle body and fuel injection system cleaned, and all on top of that I had four new bigger tires installed. I'm impressed that they changed everything in 1 1/2 days (Fri-Sat).

What leaves me absolutely f*cking dumbfounded, is that I bought this car almost 7 months ago, which most likely had all of these issues to begin with. I was getting poor gas mileage from the start and the rattles and squeaked were from the second I got the keys.

Am I the only one that finds this absolutely crazy?

The Compass is all fixed up now, and I have to say that it's a completely different car now. It's no longer what I thought was, excuse my language/wording, but a piece of sh*t. I was going to trade it in by the end of this year, but might just actually stay within the Jeep family for quite some time now. I've gained a new love for Jeep.

$5600 in suspension repairs, and I only paid $990 for throttle body/fuel injection cleaning and tires w/labor. Thank god I paid for the lifetime suspension/power train warranty. It just paid for itself.

*Rant over*

BusterOz likes this.

2012 Jeep Compass Altitude
2.0L CVT2
36,XXX Miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-10-2015, 10:47 AM

Garage
Glad it worked out for and glad to hear u found a good dealer
post #3 of 8 Old 05-14-2015, 08:24 AM

At least you felt some improvement and love about jeeps. Does your mpg ever changed?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 06-07-2015, 07:42 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunner92 View Post
At least you felt some improvement and love about jeeps. Does your mpg ever changed?
Sorry for the late reply, been busy and I also wanted to give the car a few tanks to fully adjust.

The MPG did not change. I paid a grand out of pocket to have all the cleaning necessary to have better mpg, and nothing happened. I have to drop the car off later in upcoming week for work on the rear suspension, and I will not be picking it up until it is solved. Otherwise, I'll be taking it up with Jeep/Chrysler Corporate.

2.0L CVT2
36,XXX Miles
post #5 of 8 Old 06-07-2015, 03:51 PM

Must be sensor way out of spec causing rich mixture to use that much gas. Mine wasn't great either but better than that.

These vehicle have parts in the suspension which wear quickly (way too soon) and not normal for most vehicles other than these with Chrysler parts being so poor. No surprise there and a continuation of the nightmares of the 2007 and onwards.

It great you got the extended warranty though. A least they're paying for it. I don't see any mileage mentioned. Trottle body cleaning is rarely required to fix problems although idles better when the plate and throat are clean if real dirty. Using quality gas EG Exxon or Mobile, Shell will keep the fuel system cleaner. I stay away form obscure named stations when I have a choice.

Good luck with it.

They are a fine vehicle in the AWD build w/2.4L engine if, big if nothing is worn or complaining. However, I have found it can be a noteworthy effort to keep it in that state.
2.0L engine may be lugging with bigger tires killing the MPG.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 8 Old 06-07-2015, 09:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripplec View Post
Must be sensor way out of spec causing rich mixture to use that much gas. Mine wasn't great either but better than that.

These vehicle have parts in the suspension which wear quickly (way too soon) and not normal for most vehicles other than these with Chrysler parts being so poor. No surprise there and a continuation of the nightmares of the 2007 and onwards.

It great you got the extended warranty though. A least they're paying for it. I don't see any mileage mentioned. Trottle body cleaning is rarely required to fix problems although idles better when the plate and throat are clean if real dirty. Using quality gas EG Exxon or Mobile, Shell will keep the fuel system cleaner. I stay away form obscure named stations when I have a choice.

Good luck with it.

They are a fine vehicle in the AWD build w/2.4L engine if, big if nothing is worn or complaining. However, I have found it can be a noteworthy effort to keep it in that state.
2.0L engine may be lugging with bigger tires killing the MPG.
I'm about 50 miles off of 36,000, so it's fairly 'new'. My last tires were pretty tiny performance tires at 215/40/18, which came with the car when I bought it. I now have 215/55/R18's and the mileage is the same. I can floor it everywhere I go, and I can granny drive it and the mileage is still under 160 to the tank when the gas light comes on. I also only use Shell gas as my business gas card is under Shell only.

When I drop the car off this upcoming week for the replacement of the rear suspension main components (which were ordered weeks ago), I'm not picking it up till there is some sort of logical cause. I might even write the manufacture to see if I can get anything out of them as far as answers go. I love my jeep, it's a perfect car for me. It's as small as an average car, but it has the look and potential as a regular SUV. In other words, it's the perfect size for me. I just can't stand spending $40 every 3 days. I can drive 30 miles and waste a quarter tank.

Sorry for long response, didn't realize I typed that much.

2.0L CVT2
36,XXX Miles
post #7 of 8 Old 06-13-2015, 02:17 AM
mge

Garage
I just used bought a 2013 Latitude with 47K on it. It was abused/neglected by the previous owner. Steering was off and it handled horribly. And my mileage was approximately 17 MPG. I took it in to the dealer for a thorough analysis. They first had to replace all of the front end components for both sides. They changed the oil. They ran out of time to check other things including the mileage issue. I now get 21-23 MPG. Nothing else was done to the car. My conclusion is the suspension affects the mileage greatly.
post #8 of 8 Old 06-13-2015, 07:59 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mge View Post
I just used bought a 2013 Latitude with 47K on it. It was abused/neglected by the previous owner. Steering was off and it handled horribly. And my mileage was approximately 17 MPG. I took it in to the dealer for a thorough analysis. They first had to replace all of the front end components for both sides. They changed the oil. They ran out of time to check other things including the mileage issue. I now get 21-23 MPG. Nothing else was done to the car. My conclusion is the suspension affects the mileage greatly.
I can agree. The suspension can affect a lot of things about a vehicle, especially the performance and fuel economy. Unfortunately, having everything replaced recently, nothing in the fuel economy department changed. Still get under 170 miles to the tank, and around 13 miles per gallon.

2.0L CVT2
36,XXX Miles

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in