2011 Compass Lattitude 4x4 - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 19 Old 01-18-2011, 08:56 PM Thread Starter

2011 Compass Lattitude 4x4

Has anyone bought one of these? I'm thinking of getting one this summer, have a 2002 Liberty Limited now. I'm worried that the 2.4L engine and CVT tranny are going to be a disappointment. I really just need the 4WD to get up my driveway. That said, I NEED the 4WD to get up the driveway, LOL, not some half-baked AWD system. I know the Jeep website says you can get the Freedom Drive II Off Road Group, can someone tell me if this is TRUE 4WD?? The sales person I talked to at the dealership was an idiot and not helpful at all.
Also, how does this engine perform? I HATE when 4 cyl engines bog down because you turned on the A/C in the summer.

Anyone who has bought one and can fill me in on how it really performs, please do

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 01-19-2011, 12:33 AM

Garage
Disappointed to learn the standard five speed is no longer available.
I have never been a fan of automatic trans and have less faith in the CV systems.
Way to complicated and expensive.
Clutch - Shift, never fails.
No 2011's available yet at my dealer, the don't even have brochure.
Still some nice 2010 around.
BTW , , , the www.jeep.ca website still does not even have the 2011 shown. (jan 17)

I find the engine with the standard transmission is very pleasing, coming from former BMW 3 series driver for over 20 years that says a lot.

Loved
my 2007 Compass 5-Speed, Limited!

{BUT NOW SOOO IN LOVE WITH MY NEW CRUSH WRANGLER!}
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-[OIIIIIIO]-

"No man should go through life without once experiencing healthy, even bored solitude in the wilderness, finding himself depending solely on himself and thereby learning his true and hidden strength."
~Jack Kerouac

“Everybody must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing.”
-Henry David Thoreau

Last edited by i2canoe; 01-19-2011 at 12:36 AM.
post #3 of 19 Old 01-19-2011, 12:47 AM Thread Starter

Went to my dealer today for the brochure, they didnt have any but are going to mail me one when they get them in.
The US website has the 2011 FINALLY
(sorry, cannot post a link due to not enough posts yet, just put "en/2011/compass" where you have "ca")

No question that standard transmissions are SO much fun to drive! I need the Freedom Drive II 4x4 option though and I dont think that had the standard as an option.... it would be great if you really could order what you wanted on a car, wouldnt it???

Steph

2002 Patriot Blue Metallic Liberty Limited Stock
254,000 Original Miles, no problems
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 01-19-2011, 12:59 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephSH View Post
Went to my dealer today for the brochure, they didnt have any but are going to mail me one when they get them in.
The US website has the 2011 FINALLY
(sorry, cannot post a link due to not enough posts yet, just put "en/2011/compass" where you have "ca")

No question that standard transmissions are SO much fun to drive! I need the Freedom Drive II 4x4 option though and I dont think that had the standard as an option.... it would be great if you really could order what you wanted on a car, wouldnt it???
When I ordered my Limited in 2007 I had to wait over four months for the 5 speed. They could have given me the CV transmission several time while waiting. I don't know why, but it seems they dropped the standard in 2011. They are moving the car up a to be more of a baby Grand Cherokee.
Sad to say it but maybe the Patriot could meet your needs if you want to downsize from the Liberty.

Loved

-[OIIIIIIO]-

"No man should go through life without once experiencing healthy, even bored solitude in the wilderness, finding himself depending solely on himself and thereby learning his true and hidden strength."
~Jack Kerouac

-Henry David Thoreau

post #5 of 19 Old 01-19-2011, 10:07 PM

I have the 4WD logo on the back with all the ESP, ABS etc features. With good tires like I have traction if very sure footed. The rear wheels/axle engages in an instant of a partial slip is detected. There is a level in the rear of the center console to turn on 4WD. I see no problems in you getting up the driveway what so ever. I recent drove mine in and of at my cottage in over a foot of snow, initial powder and the next day more snow and very firmed up snow and ruts and it dug right threw it.

I don't have a problem with the operation of the CVT myself. It does rev up with load and throttle pressure. You are not awaiting a downshift that an automatic would require it seems to be compensating fairly often and settles out after a steady foot and load it delivered to it. You do have the manual over ride to simulate a standard as well but I have not need that.

Best to take one out for a test drive city and highway to get a feel for the CVT. I did over 6 times on different models up to 30 min a run.

You have a liberty, its one wheel front and one back pulling and this in no different.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

post #6 of 19 Old 01-23-2011, 05:34 PM

Garage
This might give you some idea of what a Compass can or cannot do . . .
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrCqD...eature=related
post #7 of 19 Old 02-02-2011, 04:00 PM

If your concern is only a driveway, then you will not even require Freedom Drive II. This is for people that will be doing some true off-roading or they think the trail-rated badge impresses people. FD II includes skid plates, tow hooks, hill descent, etc. Freedom Drive I all by itself is a very robust 4x4 system that always runs in AWD mode until you decide to lock the hubs into the "true" 4x4 mode. I live in Pittsburgh, PA with a long sloping driveway that often can only be traversed with a 4x4, and my 2011 Compass (with only FD I) makes it up and down in AWD mode without even having to lock the hubs.

As far as the engine goes, the CVT is great. While this may not be optimum for heavy off-roading, it is optimum for heavy on-roading. Packed in with my family of five, the Compass never seems to be straining. I was worried about this, too, but it always seems to be very peppy. It won't win drag races, but ... I don't need it to. I think the CVT gets a bad rap from the heavy off-roaders (and reasonably so as it is a Jeep) that seems to influence non-off-roaders to be a bad thing. In my book, the CVT is a VERY good thing.
post #8 of 19 Old 02-03-2011, 02:50 AM Thread Starter

Thanks 01GT, I actually live in the middle of 22 acres up on a ridge, I do actually need 4WD to get up my hill in the winter
My 02 Liberty doesnt have the pretty little Trail Rated badge but gets up the hill almost every time, so I'm not looking for bling, I'm looking for capability. I really hate the walk up my driveway, LOL

Steph

post #9 of 19 Old 02-03-2011, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephSH View Post
Thanks 01GT, I actually live in the middle of 22 acres up on a ridge, I do actually need 4WD to get up my hill in the winter
My 02 Liberty doesnt have the pretty little Trail Rated badge but gets up the hill almost every time, so I'm not looking for bling, I'm looking for capability. I really hate the walk up my driveway, LOL
I would doubt very much that you'd have trouble at all. Unless the depth of the snow is too much for the Compass and that only a ground clearance issue. I recently had my Compass driven into a long driveway over a foot deep, some drifted deeper. I did not take a run at it just turned into it and kept it little more that a crawl w/4WD switch turned on. It walked right into where I normally park. I had anothe 6" over the weekend and the existing snow had firmed up a lot and ruts I created allowed moisture and sun to harden it. I was able to push through the hard stuff and out despite the depth now and hard pack. I was very pleased.

I doubt my WJ could have done the same either because of its weight or how it transfers power to the wheels. Tires are everything and the Nokian's on my Compass have proven to be excellent with no skid braking so far even when I expected them to break free hard test braking on open roads.

I noticed your Patriot w/>200k on it and no problems. Hmm many components suppose to be the same. I doubt you'll have the same experience in that department though. When all is well it a great driving jeep.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #10 of 19 Old 02-03-2011, 03:47 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for ALL the feedback everyone. I'm just waiting for a good time to go and test drive one of the new Compasses and hopefully I'll be happy with the zippy-ness of the little engine and the transmission.

Steph

post #11 of 19 Old 02-03-2011, 03:51 PM

Test drive costs nothing. Take it out for a good drive, including highway. Even from different dealers. I had bought 4-6 test drives myself.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #12 of 19 Old 02-11-2011, 11:08 AM

Garage
i like it a little better

Eh? 5-speed is still available, now I like the new model a little better . . . the interior and rear are beautiful! But I still miss the original front.

Loved

-[OIIIIIIO]-

~Jack Kerouac

-Henry David Thoreau

post #13 of 19 Old 03-15-2011, 04:33 PM
Administrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by i2canoe View Post
Eh? 5-speed is still available, now I like the new model a little better . . . the interior and rear are beautiful! But I still miss the original front.
Did you take it out for a test drive? What did you think?

When I originally took it out I was very impressed. However I never drove the previous Jeep Compass or any other Jeep's for that matter.
post #14 of 19 Old 03-15-2011, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CompassMike View Post
... When I originally took it out I was very impressed. However I never drove the previous Jeep Compass or any other Jeep's for that matter.
Me too, exactly. When I first drove the '11 Compass Limited, I liked the way it drove and sounded much better than the Hyundai, Chevy, and Nissan, in particular. It "felt" much more solid like you are driving a bigger vehicle than it was ... compared to how I perceived the other vehicles.
post #15 of 19 Old 03-15-2011, 11:50 PM

Let's put the matter of my warranty and repair to my compass to bed. After contacting the customer complaint department with Chrysler I was asigned a case manager who had me fax my documents to her and she adroitly handled the dispute with the dealership. Today I picked up my repaired compass and the $698.16 bill was paid under the warranty. I needed two lower arms, a knuckle and a link stabelizer plus assorted nuts & bolts. Finally the Silver Bullet is back on the road where it belongs.
post #16 of 19 Old 03-16-2011, 02:09 AM

Excellent, we have a winner!!!
Glad to here you come out on top. Make sure you follow up and have it checked before the warranty runs out.

Way to go.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #17 of 19 Old 03-16-2011, 02:25 PM
Super Moderator

There is light at the end of the tunnel.........persistance will eventually pay off !!!!!

Life is short, Break the rules,
Forgive quickly, Love truly,
Laugh uncontrollably...
Never regret anything that made you smile!
Have a wonderful day!

post #18 of 19 Old 03-17-2011, 12:37 AM

Thanks everyone for your encouragement. Yes, you can take on city hall and win.
post #19 of 19 Old 04-11-2011, 03:35 PM

Just traded in my 04 libby for 2011 compass I love it so far look in the pic section i posted some pics of me testing the beach it was awsome

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in