2011 Jeep Compass Latitude having issues...please help - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 4 Old 05-29-2015, 01:58 AM Thread Starter

2011 Jeep Compass Latitude having issues...please help

I have a 2011 Jeep Compass with just barely over 40,000 miles on it. I started having a few issues about a month ago. The problem first started several weeks ago. I went to back out of my parking space at work and the car just died and I had to restart it. It seemed to work ok after that. I only work about 5 blocks from my house. I have had the same issue again several times. Another thing I noticed is that my clock looses it time. Sometimes by several hours. Then last week I started having additional issues. I was on the highway on my way home and had stopped at a stop sign, again my car died and I had to restart. It seemed to work ok till I got about 15 miles from home, then all of a sudden I lost power and wasn't able to maintain speed for a brief moment. It took a few minutes to gain enough power back to go the speed limit. This is when my engine light came on too. I took it to the dealership the next day and told them my problem. That was last Thursday. I got the car back on Friday. They said they couldn't find anything wrong with it.

I took my niece home Friday evening and it again gave me problems. Worse this time. The trip was about 100 miles round trip. I made it to her house on the interstate during busy holiday travel with no problems...thank goodness. It wasn't until I was on my way back home and had just gotten off the interstate, this was maybe 10-15 miles. Everything started flashing and I again was loosing power. The rest of the way home at this point was highway driving. There was several times I thought I would have to pull over. I had absolutely no power. I wasn't able to gain any speed at all, even with the pedal floored. I was only able to go 45mph the rest of the way home. Kind of scary in busy traffic.

I took it back to the dealership on Saturday. They still have it actually. They have not been able to find any problems. They have even driven it every day since and it supposedly works fine for them. How much are they driving it...I'm not sure. I am at a loss...has anyone had any similar problems? Anyone know the fix? Kind of frustrating to say the least.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-29-2015, 12:24 PM

Garage
make sure they are checking ur alternator it might be going bad I have heard of that happen on the older models having similar issues that be a good start if they say that's what happing

If the alternator is not working then ur car is running of the battery but that will only last couple of mins if that which is y u keep losing power a wire might be lose in there and its making contact with stuff and then not which is y it dosnt happen all the time

With the engine on:
◾Step 1: Open your hood and so you have clear access to the car battery. Locate your alternator and check to be sure the alternator belt isn’t loose.
◾Step 2: Turn your multi-meter to the 20 V setting.
◾Step 3: Start the engine. At this point, check to make sure the alternator pulley / belt is spinning properly without slipping.
◾ Step 4: There are two ways to test the voltage coming from the alternator. If you have easy access to the alternator without getting your body parts / clothing / etc tangled in the spinning pulley’s, then place the positive multi-meter probe (red) and touch it to the red terminal connector coming out of the alternator. Now take the negative (black) multi-meter probe and touch it to some metal part of your car frame (like a bolt head nearby or even the negative terminal on the car battery). Don’t ground to the alternator itself. That would be potentially bad. You should now be getting a reading on your multi-meter display. If you don’t have good access to your alternator, then you can simple test the alternator by touching the positive multi-meter probe to the positive terminal on your battery and likewise the negative probe to the negative terminal on your battery.

If the alternator is working well, your multi-meter should read somewhere in the vicinity of 14 volts (typically 13.8-14.2). If it is reading excessively higher than 14 volts (greater than 15 volts) it is possible that the voltage regulator on your alternator is faulty or going bad. If it is reading lower than 13-14 volts, there are a number of possibilities as to the reason. First, it is possible that your engine idle speed is too low for the alternator to put out sufficient voltage/power. Try revving up the engine to 2000 RPM or higher and take a reading. If the voltage is still too low, check to be sure all the connectors on your alternator are tight and that the alternator belt is not slipping and is spinning on the pulley correctly. If it is still not putting out sufficient power, then the alternator’s voltage regulator could be bad or the alternator itself may need replaced.

A car alternator needs to be putting out at least 13-14 volts (ideally between 13.8 and 14.2 volts) to effectively charge a 12 volt car battery. If the alternator is putting out too much voltage (15+ volts), it is likely your battery acid will boil over out of the battery. When a battery is near fully charged the alternator will cease to put out sufficient voltage to charge the battery and the reading you will get from the battery probing method will simply be the voltage coming from the battery itself. In this case, you can simply leave your lights on with the car off for ten or fifteen minutes to drain your battery a little bit.

It can also be helpful to test at the battery terminals with the engine off and then turn the car on and test again at the terminals. If your battery is more or less fully charged, it should read at around 12-13 volts with the car off. If you’ve run your car for a long time and while the car is running the voltage reading is in the 13-14 volt range, but then you shut the car off and the battery voltage instantly drops to well below 12 volts (10 volts or under; 9 volts or under in freezing weather conditions), it is likely that your battery needs maintenance or replaced.
post #3 of 4 Old 06-02-2015, 01:40 PM Thread Starter

UPDATE 6-2-15: They still have my car. They say they still can't find it. A code shows up when they scan it but they still can't find the problem. I'm not sure what the code says. That's my next question to them. My gut still says it's the alternator perhaps. Any thoughts? The guy was suppose to drive it home last night to see if he could get it to do the same problems for him.

My other option is to take it to another Jeep dealership and perhaps contact Chrysler. At this point I don't feel too safe driving it out of town especially with a child in the car. So I am hoping we can get to the bottom of this soon. It's very frustrating to say the least. Is there any proof of other vehicles with same/similar problems I should be showing them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 06-03-2015, 09:04 PM

Testing the alternator is pretty easy for a technician especially since they'd have the tools in a shop for that. Batteries can be problematic and should be replace at around 5 years anyway if power issues appear. That is about their design life and short trips don't help it last longer. They need to be don't their tests and checks. There were problems with at least similar problems when the new design came out. I don't know what the cause was be figure it was fixed. Stalling in a turn was a symptom but its all on this site by other posters.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in