Trailer Wiring questions! Please helpppp!!! - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 4 Old 05-30-2015, 10:01 PM Thread Starter

Trailer Wiring questions! Please helpppp!!!

Hello guys! I'm having some problems trying to connect my trailer wiring kit to my 2007 compass. The kit that was provided to me by uhaul requires me to splice into certain wires. To begin with. I'm no mechanic and I know there are other wiring kits that just plug up and go. I can't find one of those in stores anywhere. I need it for tomorrow which is why I'm trying to use the one provided to me by uhaul.
Ok so the wiring kit says I have to splice and attach the wire from the brake light with the wire coming from the kit. But the brake light bulb has more than one wire coming from it. The right and left side are the same but they have different colors too!! Please help I will load up pictures of left and right brake light turn signal. Please all I want to know basically is which wire is responsible for making the brake/turn light bulb flash. I'm so sorry in advance for all the confusion ?
The first pic is the right brake light bulb
The second pic is the right turn signal.
The third and fourth pics are different angles of the left brake bulb and the fifth is the left turn signal bulb. Which wire is the one the brights up each bulb? I'm guessing each one has a ground wire. But what are the others?!?!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image_1433022903736.jpg (36.5 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg image_1433022951551.jpg (34.1 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg image_1433022985065.jpg (34.1 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg image_1433023014901.jpg (37.7 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg image_1433023162628.jpg (34.8 KB, 4 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-31-2015, 01:31 PM

i would get a test light and a helper. test each wire, which comes on with brake, tail and blinkers.
I ordered a curt kit, which was all plug and play and very simple
post #3 of 4 Old 06-07-2015, 06:52 PM

Yes, you need a test light and/or multimeter to see which is hot. Note you need a converter as well. You cannot drive the trailer lights directly. Curt makes both direct and generic solutions if you want to splice. Power is picked off another source fed to the converter. I don't which I had mine done at a hitch shop.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 06-13-2015, 08:52 PM

Garage
If you haven't finished this yet, definately get one that plugs into each taillight, rather than spicing wires. I got the Curt one mentioned above and it was pretty easy. Gotta run a power feed from the battery though.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in