2011 jeep compass - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 30 Old 03-01-2011, 10:49 PM Thread Starter

2011 jeep compass

I just purchased a 2011 jeep compass latitude. so far way better than my 08. anyone else get one yet??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 03-02-2011, 02:34 AM

Garage
Congrats. . . saw my first '11 on the road today.
Nice looking ride, I must say.
Again congratulations.

Loved
my 2007 Compass 5-Speed, Limited!

{BUT NOW SOOO IN LOVE WITH MY NEW CRUSH WRANGLER!}
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-[OIIIIIIO]-

"No man should go through life without once experiencing healthy, even bored solitude in the wilderness, finding himself depending solely on himself and thereby learning his true and hidden strength."
~Jack Kerouac

“Everybody must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing.”
-Henry David Thoreau

post #3 of 30 Old 03-03-2011, 09:50 AM

Smile Just bought one today

Black Latitude 4x4

I take delivery on Friday.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 Old 03-03-2011, 07:43 PM

Garage
Fully loaded fdII north edition, delivery in 7 weeks.
Can't wait!
post #5 of 30 Old 03-06-2011, 01:46 PM
Administrator

Awesome, can't wait to hear what y'all think of the 2011's, we want pics and reviews!!!

- Cherokee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My 2007 Jeep Compass Sport, Bright Silver Metallic, 26E, CVT II, Driver Convenience Group, Sunroof, Trailer Tow Prep Group, 4x2

1991 XJ Cherokee Sport 4X4 4.0 H/O I6
2008 Dodge Ram 1500 ST, SWB Reg Cab, Bright Silver Metallic, Trailer Tow Package

JEEP - Just Enjoy Everything, Period.....
post #6 of 30 Old 03-06-2011, 05:01 PM

Garage
BEFORE YOU BUY ONE (Gaveat Emptor)

The truth is that the Compass was not engineered to last.
A Jeep badge and great styling with under engineered components.
Ask the sales man before you buy a 2011 - "what's up with the front end components?"
The fact seems clear, that Dodge Caliber components just do stand many JEEP drivers demands.
The same situation for our cousin the PATRIOT . .. . check it out!
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f98/b...dy-588853-new/

So again - as much as I love my Compass, buyer beware!

Loved
my 2007 Compass 5-Speed, Limited!

{BUT NOW SOOO IN LOVE WITH MY NEW CRUSH WRANGLER!}

-[OIIIIIIO]-

"No man should go through life without once experiencing healthy, even bored solitude in the wilderness, finding himself depending solely on himself and thereby learning his true and hidden strength."
~Jack Kerouac

“Everybody must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing.”
-Henry David Thoreau

post #7 of 30 Old 03-07-2011, 12:20 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by i2canoe View Post
The truth is that the Compass was not engineered to last.
A Jeep badge and great styling with under engineered components.
Ask the sales man before you buy a 2011 - "what's up with the front end components?"
The fact seems clear, that Dodge Caliber components just do stand many JEEP drivers demands.
The same situation for our cousin the PATRIOT . .. . check it out! jeepforum.com/forum/f98/bad-tie-rods-already-588853-new
So again - as much as I love my Compass, buyer beware!
It was my understanding that many of the front end problems had been addressed in the 2011 model. Thats one of the reasons I held out and didn't pop on the 2010.
post #8 of 30 Old 03-07-2011, 02:06 PM

Well from the TSB on the front struts. They're using the new configuration after April of 2009 so those shouldn't be an issue for the newer models. As for tie rod end, ball joints and other issues remains to be seen. Whether the parts quality has been beefed up or redesigned mountings to be tougher however they did it would be interesting.

I wonder if they replace the TPIM with a old style power distribution box. One dealer thought they might. (located on the far right near the fender beside the air intake).

Any changes to the CVT would be a definity requirement. They're not right the way they were.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

post #9 of 30 Old 03-09-2011, 09:42 AM

Just picked up the new compass

Pictures up a little later
post #10 of 30 Old 03-10-2011, 02:19 AM

Just got my 2011 Compass Latitude, silver, on 3/1 and so far it's awesome. Finally dumped the PT Cruiser

2011 Jeep Compass Owner since 3/1/2011
post #11 of 30 Old 03-10-2011, 09:20 AM
Administrator

Congrats DFaulk, nice upgrade from the PT and in the best color, too!

- Cherokee

My 2007 Jeep Compass Sport, Bright Silver Metallic, 26E, CVT II, Driver Convenience Group, Sunroof, Trailer Tow Prep Group, 4x2

1991 XJ Cherokee Sport 4X4 4.0 H/O I6
2008 Dodge Ram 1500 ST, SWB Reg Cab, Bright Silver Metallic, Trailer Tow Package

JEEP - Just Enjoy Everything, Period.....
post #12 of 30 Old 03-10-2011, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFaulk67 View Post
Just got my 2011 Compass Latitude, silver, on 3/1 and so far it's awesome. Finally dumped the PT Cruiser
How did the Cruiser stand up for you?

Good luck with New Compass.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #13 of 30 Old 03-12-2011, 01:57 PM

I did post a quick reply to this earlier but I'm not sure where it went.

The Cruiser was fine it just didn't have power. Especially in the snow. The two cars I had before the Cruiser were the Subaru Outback and a Ford Bronco II and I missed the AWD/4WD. We also looked at the Subaru Forester but didn't like it as much as the Compass.

2011 Jeep Compass Owner since 3/1/2011
post #14 of 30 Old 03-12-2011, 08:11 PM

I bought my Compass on 08-09-08 and I have 28,000 miles on it. However Chrysler claims I bought it on 01-09-08 which would put it out of warranty. I have all the documentation to prove I bought it in Aug. 08. Now I have to go speak ( possibly argue) with the service manager at the dealers to get him to approve the repair to the car's ball joints and power steering... What a load of crap!
post #15 of 30 Old 03-12-2011, 08:30 PM

Well they get their authorization when in conflict from head office. If they won't go to bat for you. Take it to the SELLING dealer if you can or at least call them and see what they suggest. Start with the sales rep!!!

I you want after if there is a problem call customer service and tell them you have the proof of purchase. If it was put on the road earlier as a rental etc they count from that date. So I would start with the selling dealer they're most likely to help as best they can.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #16 of 30 Old 03-12-2011, 08:48 PM

My car has 28,000 miles and the bill of sale states it was sold as NEW.
post #17 of 30 Old 03-12-2011, 09:05 PM

Well take it up with the selling dealer first and then contact Chrysler. If you have the bill of sale you should be ok but keep a record of who you communicate with etc.

Good luck

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #18 of 30 Old 03-12-2011, 09:08 PM

Thanks, I'll let my wife do the talking. She has a PhD in philosophy and can be quite persuasive.
post #19 of 30 Old 03-12-2011, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpire410 View Post
Thanks, I'll let my wife do the talking. She has a PhD in philosophy and can be quite persuasive.
I'd like to know out of curiosity. Is the selling dealer close enough by your residence. If so why you did not have it taken there. You in my opinion have it towed there and talk to the owner !! Not the manager but the owner or call him first and show him the bill of sale or a copy. If they don't do the repairs then you'll sue them in court.

NOTE: Since your warranty is fading even when done. Demand, a full front end and rear end suspension checkup for worn tie rods ends, ball joint leaking struts front and back. Have it on the work order and if possible talk to the mechanic. If in doubt have it checked again by another dealer once the warranty is corrected. You have a very small window of opportunity here. They will NOT extend the warranty a day later if they don't have to. There is no give in Chrysler these days. You're on legal ground until that time passes and you want to be 500% there are no other problems, knocking etc and if so take it to a safety check certified garage. The do full suspension check and wear at any level is deemed unsafe.

Sorry if this comes over as pushy of whatever. Just trying to save you many bucks and not getting scre....d.

And my advice stand firm and don't let the original document out of your site.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

Last edited by tripplec; 03-12-2011 at 10:49 PM. Reason: typos
post #20 of 30 Old 03-13-2011, 01:28 AM

You have been quite helpful and I don't consider you pushy. The Compass was stuck in the middle of a busy street and when I phoned the police they said I had to have it moved as quickly as possible. When I phoned for a tow I told them to take it to a garage that my brother had dealt with in the past and he stated they did quality work and were honest. It wasn't until you mentioned the possibility of having the car under warranty did I call Chrysler had had the vehicle towed to the dealer.Only after then did Chrysler question the validity of the warranty. I will have the entire front end checked by a reputable garage once I get it back.

Last edited by umpire410; 03-13-2011 at 01:32 AM.
post #21 of 30 Old 04-01-2011, 06:46 PM

Ok, I did it today.

I went and looked over a 2011 and then test drove the North Limited 4x4. It had a sunroof.

Impressions:
Looking underneath I see nothing different at the back other than the gas tank is now Black not silver as mine is. At the front it also looks the same setup of control arms and tie rod ends. Exactly like mine in layout and size with no indication of being beefed up whatsoever. The sales rep did not indicate anything in design (if you believe them anyway). If there is any engineering change its certainly not visible in the stock suspension (as for trail rated version ???). The front under cariage is completely covered with a plastic skid plate unlike my Compass it has a plastic covered area on the left and right side leaving the middle oh a foot or so open rearwards.

Under the hood they have moved the computer right up top and to the right of the engine. Otherwise that is the same including the mini air intake setup.

I test drove it very briefly in town and took it up the highway. Now to me is sounded at little noisier than the 2009 and not as responsive. This vehicle had 47km on it hence hardly driven. It was fully warmed up and accelerating to hwy speed and beyond required high RPM's. It would rev to 4 & 5000 without much persuasion to get it move while doing 100km/hr to something faster somewhat quickly.

Inside apart from the large climate control type knobs protruding now for fan/heat/climate control which was extremely smooth and easily worked. It looks the same. Now this was a loaded limited it appears and the steering wheel has as many buttons as mini computer.

Front light is of course totally different with projection type reflectors for the main beams and fog lights I was told were mini projection HID's hence white light and not yellow which I prefer for fogs.

The rear end inside is more or less the same. It had the upgraded sound (speakers in the tailgate and woofer in the right side).

Not sure if its any better and only a style change for marketing.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

Last edited by tripplec; 05-04-2011 at 03:39 PM.
post #22 of 30 Old 04-01-2011, 07:57 PM
Super Moderator

I for one think you hit it right on the money when you say :

Quote:
Not sure if its any better and only a style change for marketing.
Changes were only for make up purpase if you ask me.......I like the old front ......that what distinguish them apart !!!!Oh well...........let's wait and see !!!!!!!

Life is short, Break the rules,
Forgive quickly, Love truly,
Laugh uncontrollably...
Never regret anything that made you smile!
Have a wonderful day!

post #23 of 30 Old 04-01-2011, 11:10 PM

Well on my drive to my cottage (just arrived and fire the notebook up). Independent assessment of the all the big auto makers put Chrysler way down at the bottom in build quality/reliability. Ford was #1 believe it or not and GM in hot pursuit (after nearly dying with the garbage line of fix or repair dailys) but would have faired better however a few models pulled down their ratings. They did not mention the models though.

After hearing that it makes one wonder if further investment of those hard earned dollars are well place in a Chysler product. I don't know about you, but my dollar I trade for their product is flawless and just as good after 3-5years but what I spent it on may be a pile of junk. Seems something is quite wrong with that arrangement. I demand better quality and reliability in my purchases and conscientious support. At this time its not happening and Chrysler response to them was they're updating their lineup. Ahhh the Compass is a new line as was the Grand Cherokee and I heard they were coming out with a new Cherokee. I am not interested in another one of those for a variety of reasons.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #24 of 30 Old 05-04-2011, 01:05 PM

you guys are clueless the whole front suspension is new and improved + you can get a trail rated version. Like the one i got wake up guys
post #25 of 30 Old 05-04-2011, 03:30 PM

Garage
Larrytor34, can you provide the different part numbers you found on the suspension of your new compass?

Their are lots of us that have been wondering if it's true or not and by your statement, it sounds like you've confirmed it?
post #26 of 30 Old 05-04-2011, 04:11 PM

I have brand new trail rated compass has the extra 1" of clearance less then 1000 miles on I her took it on the sand rode nice rides really nice and quite. replaced a 2004 liberty. i posted pics on the pic page.As far as part #'s go i have 3yr 36,000 bumper to bumper warranty so i'm never gonna know the part #'s sorry
post #27 of 30 Old 05-05-2011, 05:46 AM

Garage
...and you call us clueless...
post #28 of 30 Old 06-23-2011, 06:37 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by larrytor34 View Post
you guys are clueless the whole front suspension is new and improved + you can get a trail rated version. Like the one i got wake up guys

The 2011's have upgraded steering and suspension systems. Part numbers are different but you can't look at part numbers anyways because they change them based on model year(s).
post #29 of 30 Old 07-29-2011, 05:19 AM

As for tie rod end, ball joints and other issues remains to be seen. Whether the parts quality has been beefed up or redesigned mountings to be tougher however they did it would be interesting.
post #30 of 30 Old 07-29-2011, 04:44 PM

All you have to do is look at the suspension and you can see the difference at least on the trail rated version.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in