2011 Compass Options - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 12 Old 03-10-2011, 08:29 PM Thread Starter

2011 Compass Options

I've been looking into purchasing a 2011 Compass Latitude 4x4 and I can't seem to nail down a couple final decisions...so I was wondering if you all had some input to maybe help me.

Decision 1:
Bright White or Mineral Gray Metallic?
My last two vehicles have been black and I vow to never own another black vehicle again, would the mineral gray be better or about the same...as far as showing scratches, dirt, etc.

Decision 2:
Premium Sound Group (liftgate speakers & 9 Boston Acoustic Speakers with Sub)
or
Media Center 430 (6.5" touch screen, audio jack input, etc)
I like to "jam out"

I know there aren't a ton of 2011 Compass' on the road, but I'm hoping you guys may be able to help me out a little.

Thanks,
Theresa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 03-10-2011, 09:10 PM

You might want to reads a few of the thread as to reliability and durability etc. That's the more important decision you'll want to make first. Unless you have a lot of money to throw into it. The Compass could be a money pit. CVT also have their problems.

The sound system could be used sitting in the driveway even if it doesn't run but I don't believer that would be the intended application. I see its your first post but how many existing ones have you read?

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 Old 03-10-2011, 09:33 PM Thread Starter

tripplec,

I've read all of the threads pertaining to the 2011 compass that are on the first page. Honestly, and not to start out on the wrong foot, it seemed like you were the only one repeatedly bashed the 2011 Compass. I see you seem to dislike your 2009 but from what I've read they did a pretty major overhaul on the 2011's. The chassis and other features are identical to the Patriot...which, yes, is more sought after, but I much prefer the styling of the 2011 Compass. I know people have said it’s not really a jeep because it won’t handle off roading and the suspension isn’t up to par, but honestly, I live in the suburbs of Kansas City, I’m not going to be doing any kind of off roading anytime soon. Any type of off roading I would be doing I would be okay with doing it with my current car, a 2003 Honda accord coupe. If I wanted an off roading vehicle I’d buy a Wrangler.

That is my response from what I've read in my limited time on this forum. If you have other points or reasons that I should steer away from the '11 Compass please let me know.

PS: I know I come off kind of harsh, my apologies, I do not mean any hard feelings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 03-10-2011, 09:53 PM

Hey don't get me wrong. Yeah they look and ride of the Compass is good. The new one is more like other Jeeps. Looks is a personal thing anyway.

I was merely giving a heads up at what you might run into as many others here on there 2007 to 2009, mind you there is not many 09's flagging suspension problems yet but. I've done the rear struts already (leaked and knocked in the back).

One other new buyer indicated the front may or was fixed. That's what I thought when I bought the 2009 here, but no changes and that was from a mechanic at a dealer. The CVT develops a shudder or vibration coming to a stop. I've had it for a year now. Because of the number of vehicles doing this they class it as NORMAL. Hence no repair is done. If it moves you live with it. I doubt anything was changed there but i haven't researched the 2011 on those and other points where they've cost the owners big money.

So if you did not see at these you've missed a lot here. I did not take the issues seriously I heard of thinking after 3 years they would have changed or resolve the problems with the Calibre, Compass and Patriot all have the same suspension components and CVT oh and engine. It appears they've done little other than redesigned the front struts for builds after April 2009. I am in the old group so a problem one day and out of pocket if it does not fail in warranty.

Enjoy and as long as you're forewarned in aware that maybe there are some assumption that they did make changes. I have yet to see it say in any dealer documentation.

I wish I bought something else now but its a bit late unless I can swing a good trade in on something else.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by tripplec; 03-10-2011 at 09:57 PM. Reason: many typos etc
post #5 of 12 Old 03-10-2011, 11:18 PM

The Curiser was not a bad car. It just couldn't go anywhere in the snow. I've always had 4WD or AWD so I had been spoiled prior to the Cruiser.
Where would you guys like me to post pics? Is there a particular place in this forum to do that?

2011 Jeep Compass Owner since 3/1/2011
post #6 of 12 Old 03-11-2011, 12:09 AM
Super Moderator

The gray one would be better in my opinion and the premuim sound group.........would be my choice.
Reason is that you could always add an indash unit later on !!!!!!

My 2 cent !!!

Life is short, Break the rules,
Forgive quickly, Love truly,
Laugh uncontrollably...
Never regret anything that made you smile!
Have a wonderful day!

post #7 of 12 Old 03-11-2011, 03:10 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feel for life View Post
The gray one would be better in my opinion and the premuim sound group.........would be my choice.
Reason is that you could always add an indash unit later on !!!!!!

My 2 cent !!!
That would be my thought also as those would be the choices I'd make were it me. BTW, welcome to the forum CrazieKC, glad to have you and good luck with your purchase, be sure to keep us posted!

DFaulk67, we have a pic gallery section which you can find here: http://www.myjeepcompass.com/forums/...splay.php?f=16 and as soon as you get those 15 posts in, we'd love to see some pics of your Compass, definitely want a look at that 2011!!!

- Cherokee

My 2007 Jeep Compass Sport, Bright Silver Metallic, 26E, CVT II, Driver Convenience Group, Sunroof, Trailer Tow Prep Group, 4x2

1991 XJ Cherokee Sport 4X4 4.0 H/O I6
2008 Dodge Ram 1500 ST, SWB Reg Cab, Bright Silver Metallic, Trailer Tow Package

JEEP - Just Enjoy Everything, Period.....
post #8 of 12 Old 03-11-2011, 04:37 PM

Personally, I would go with the Mineral Gray Metallic and the Premium Sound Group.

I just got mine, in Deep Cherry Red Crystal Pearl, and I love it...but the Gray was my 2nd choice...and it was really close for me! I really think the touch screen would just be a pain when you're driving. Buttons are nice and tactile, so it's easier to do w/less distraction from the road. I got Premium Sound and have NO complaints.

Good luck with your new Compass! I LOVE mine
post #9 of 12 Old 03-11-2011, 04:43 PM

Jillithan:
Looks like it may be the same colour as our 2009. My wife likes it a lot except for the crappy CVT and the vibrations it always makes. She was firm on the colour and we hunt around. It was at a dealer 200km out of town and we picked it up there. I am crossing everything it hangs together though.

With the rate of miles you're putting on keep us updated on how it stands up. For 3 years you covered by the warranty unless you go over the millage limit. Have the front end checked at each oil change. That way you'll catch the noteworthy parts that have plagued earlier models early enough to be covered by the warranty.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #10 of 12 Old 03-15-2011, 05:31 PM
Administrator

Garage
Definitely go gray if you've never had a white vehicle. White looks amazing when its all shined up but its a lot like black, you will be cleaning it all the time.

As far as the sound goes, I really have no preference. Whatever is cheaper
post #11 of 12 Old 03-16-2011, 08:01 PM Thread Starter

Great! Thank you guys for your input, I really appreciate it. I gave myself a financial goal to meet before I go purchase one, but I'm hoping it'll be here in a few months.

Next question, does anyone have a picture of an actual Mineral Gray 2011 Compass? I've searched all over and cannot find a picture that isn't a "stock photo".

I've decided on
4x4 Lattitude
Mineral Gray
Sun and Sound package
Security and Convenience package

I can't wait to be able to order it!

I guess I'll give a little bit about myself while I'm at it. My name is Theresa, I live in Overland Park, KS (Kansas City), I'm 26 and I have two boxers. I had an '01 Grand Cherokee Limited before my current car ('03 accord) and I loved it, I got rid of it because of gas prices/MPG back in '06. I'm going to miss the horsepower of my accord (240, V6), but I miss the cargo capability of having a 4 door vehicle, plus the 4x4 will come in handy with the weather we've had lately. We had 3" of snow on Monday and today it's 70...our weather is insane.

Thanks!
post #12 of 12 Old 03-16-2011, 09:14 PM

CrazieKC:

With good winter tires as I have and ESP on a new Compass 4x4 you can drive with confidence. Just last weekend heading to my cottage on a main highway of 6 lanes. We got hit after the rain with heavy slushy & then heavy snow. A number of cars ended up off the road into the ditch or the open center. I saw one pickup truck ahead of me all of a sudden go off roading (I don't think it was by choice) and in a hurry into the valley of the center media for 3-4 hundred yards for sure before coming to a stop. While another car went the other way. I am not sure what cause that incident. But I had no problem with traction and was able to control the vehicle through this mahem for an hour and half to my destination.

I treated myself and my wife Theresa (also) to a relaxing drink. She had asked me repeatedly is it slippery, are you having trouble etc while drive over the mess. All I said was I am not sensing anything it holding well. I wasn't pushing it to test the traction but maintaining speed and position ah position is important. We get yahoo's up here who think they can drive the same as on dry roads when its like that. NOT

I had many 4x4's and it hard to go back once you're have one. I don't off road either.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in