Increasing Fuel Capacity - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 9 Old 03-30-2011, 12:06 AM Thread Starter

Increasing Fuel Capacity

I need to ideas on how to increase my fuel capacity. Can an additional tank be added? Can the current tank be replaced with a larger one? I guess I can carry some extra fuel in a Gerry can but that's not my preferred option.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 03-30-2011, 12:15 AM
Super Moderator

First welcome to the forum, glad you joined in.......tell us more about your ride and yourself..........great folks in here that are willing to help.

Life is short, Break the rules,
Forgive quickly, Love truly,
Laugh uncontrollably...
Never regret anything that made you smile!
Have a wonderful day!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 Old 03-30-2011, 12:53 AM Thread Starter

Hello Feel for life. Thanks for the welcome. My little compass has four wheel drive but is not set up with any kind of off road package. I traded in a 10 year old Yukon that needed a lot of maintenance (tires, brakes, air conditioning compressor, etc.) With the certainty in my mind that gas prices were sure to climb I decided to go with the compass. It took some getting used to but I like my little compass, now.

I go out to the desert for quail and chuckar partridge and drive to Arizona for dove and prairie dog hunting. I live in Torrance, Ca which is a beach city on the Santa Monica Bay. This last weekend on the way to a Prairie Dog hunt, I ran out of gas on the I40 fwy because there was a long stretch of road between Needles, Ca and Kingman, AZ with no gas stations. I ended just a few miles short of Kingman. Just one more gallon of gas would have gotten me to Kingman.

I'm retired and do as much hunting, fishing and shooting sports as I can because the day will come when I will no longer be able to. I'm usually on dirt roads but once in a while it gets pretty ugly. I ended up on a washed out road for about three miles that made me very proud of my little Compass. I really didn't think we would be able to get out of this area.

I also deer hunt and occasionally go for a wild pig. I spend a lot of time in the outdoors.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 03-30-2011, 02:44 AM

Well I doubt you can change the tank. Carrying extra gas is the only option in my opinion. The best way to do that is outside the vehicle see "Cargo Carrier" at this link. http://hitchntrailer.com/pages/main.html select Assessories on the left and scroll down.

With this carrier, it slides into a CLASS III and/or II hitch. Load is up to 300lbs or maybe more depending on OEM. With the gas can outside the fumes and gas is aired and increase cargo for other items or storage bins can be used.

I have used a similar platform for years hauling gas for snowmobiling freeing the space inside and no fumes on long drives.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 Old 03-30-2011, 05:29 PM Thread Starter

Triplecc,
Thanks for the reply. What do you think about a Gerry can carried on the roof luggage rack? I did buy and install two cross members. Does a Gerry can seal well enough to lay on it's side, up top? If a Gerry can holding about 4 gallons is not too heavy, I guess I can go with a smaller plastic fuel can.
post #6 of 9 Old 03-30-2011, 09:27 PM

Gas Can

I would not put one on the roof. Too much weight to control from tipping and coming off and the gas cans are not sealed such that they won't leak. Especially on its side you're looking for trouble. If you want to keep on hunt go the platform root inserted into a hitch (CLASS III) is best and you can use it for other cargo and even game.

There is no wind drag and you won't pull and muscles or have it come down on you trying to get it up on the roof. Also you're likely to damage the roof in the process.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #7 of 9 Old 04-03-2011, 02:20 PM
Administrator

Very good suggestions there tripplec!

- Cherokee

My 2007 Jeep Compass Sport, Bright Silver Metallic, 26E, CVT II, Driver Convenience Group, Sunroof, Trailer Tow Prep Group, 4x2

1991 XJ Cherokee Sport 4X4 4.0 H/O I6
2008 Dodge Ram 1500 ST, SWB Reg Cab, Bright Silver Metallic, Trailer Tow Package

JEEP - Just Enjoy Everything, Period.....
post #8 of 9 Old 04-03-2011, 02:49 PM

Examples of this platform

Hi, for those not clear on this as a solution. I have been using a much earlier design for over a decade. Haul gas, cooler, luggage and even moved hundreds of pound of flagstone I couldn't lift much higher that it.

I hunted down a few pictures and captured them to hear although the source size is small but a link to some of the addition info is provided at this other link for you viewing.
http://www.sportomotoring.com/hitch-...o-carrier.html
Attached Images
File Type: gif Carrier image.GIF (44.1 KB, 1 views)
File Type: gif Carrier application.GIF (131.9 KB, 9 views)

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

Last edited by tripplec; 04-03-2011 at 02:52 PM.
post #9 of 9 Old 04-03-2011, 06:44 PM
Administrator

I've seen those, a lot of folks around here have them, very useful for a lot of things.

- Cherokee

My 2007 Jeep Compass Sport, Bright Silver Metallic, 26E, CVT II, Driver Convenience Group, Sunroof, Trailer Tow Prep Group, 4x2

1991 XJ Cherokee Sport 4X4 4.0 H/O I6
2008 Dodge Ram 1500 ST, SWB Reg Cab, Bright Silver Metallic, Trailer Tow Package

JEEP - Just Enjoy Everything, Period.....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in