Weird odour when using the 4x4 - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 3 Old 04-04-2011, 11:53 PM Thread Starter

Weird odour when using the 4x4

Hello,

Ever since I started to use my 2009 Jeep Compass North Edition 4x4, it's begin to smell a strong burned rubber odour in and outside the car, even for a couple seconds use and even if I use the lock option or not. I brought it to the dealer and they said that it's because there was a thick vernish coating over the transmission and it burnt, but I keep using it and the odour get's as strong as it was. I also parked it while on the lock position and found a yellow liquid spot underneat the motor the next day, and when I looked underneat the car, there was no trace of burnt coating on the transmission plant!

What can I do more with that?

And where is the transmission fluid gauge in the hood???

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 04-07-2011, 03:37 AM
Administrator

Well first, welcome to the forum since I see you're new here! Not too sure what would be causing the smell, but I'd be taking it in to have someone look at it because that definitely doesn't sound normal. Do you have any warranty left on it? If you have the CVT auto trans, the dealer will have to check that out as it's not serviceable except by a trained tech but good luck and let us know what's causing the burnt rubber smell.

- Cherokee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My 2007 Jeep Compass Sport, Bright Silver Metallic, 26E, CVT II, Driver Convenience Group, Sunroof, Trailer Tow Prep Group, 4x2

1991 XJ Cherokee Sport 4X4 4.0 H/O I6
2008 Dodge Ram 1500 ST, SWB Reg Cab, Bright Silver Metallic, Trailer Tow Package

JEEP - Just Enjoy Everything, Period.....
post #3 of 3 Old 04-07-2011, 11:48 AM

Kinginc: Please fill in you signature info with year, model etc as some of us have a footer as the big chief cherokee has!!!! Then we can see what you vehicle is and you won't have to specify each time you post.

Burning rubber is caused by two primary reasons.

Some part is hot from friction or burning.

Around the exhaust there is exceptional heat if rubber is too close and friction if the part with say a rubber boot is failed and getting that hot or rubbing against something else.

If its only when in 4wd then initial look from the CVT output on back to the rear axle dif. Looking for tell tail signs with good lighting and nose. Driving it for a while in 4wd to get the smell up and then getting it up and inspecting may help finding the source faster since your nose should tract if quickly.

If its under warranty drive it in 4wd to the dealer (any dealer) with the smell fresh point out the problem and get it checked. Its up to them to find it and correct it.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in