Spring Cleaning / Salt Encrusted Floor Mats... - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 27 Old 04-06-2011, 05:57 PM Thread Starter

Spring Cleaning / Salt Encrusted Floor Mats...

Anyone out there have a Sure Fire way of Cleaning out Road Salt that has Encrusted into the Floor Mats....Pulled the Rubber Mats out , You know the ones that do a wonderful job on the Cuffs of your Pants... Anyway Hazards of living in the Great White North and dealing with Road Salt , there's always some salt that manages to work it's way right onto the Rug.... Unfortunately I don't have the Luxury of a Heated Garage to combat this issue throughout the course of the Winter....I have tried the Canadian Tire Aerosol Can with Plastic Scrub Brush mounted into the Cap in the Past but I ware down the scrub brush thingy long before the contents of the Can is empty...

2008 Jeep Compass , Northern Edition 2X
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 04-18-2011, 03:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighwayNine View Post
Anyone out there have a Sure Fire way of Cleaning out Road Salt that has Encrusted into the Floor Mats....Pulled the Rubber Mats out , You know the ones that do a wonderful job on the Cuffs of your Pants... Anyway Hazards of living in the Great White North and dealing with Road Salt , there's always some salt that manages to work it's way right onto the Rug.... Unfortunately I don't have the Luxury of a Heated Garage to combat this issue throughout the course of the Winter....I have tried the Canadian Tire Aerosol Can with Plastic Scrub Brush mounted into the Cap in the Past but I ware down the scrub brush thingy long before the contents of the Can is empty...
where abouts are you located? im allways on the road i run a mobile detailing business. ill come take care of the stains for you to help you out. let me know

2007 jeep compass
2WD 2,4L
190,000 km (Always in the shop)
Recently Overhauled every link/bushing in the front/rear
20% tint on windows
Lamin-X smoked tail lights
Painted all silver interior trim satin black.
I strongly Reccomend You Don't buy a Jeep Compass!!!!
post #3 of 27 Old 04-18-2011, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighwayNine View Post
I flooded the carpet with water, took a stiff brush and some soap and scrubbed the carpet. Then I flooded the carpet again to rinse and let dry. Do it on a sunny day so the carpet will dry faster.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 Old 04-20-2011, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgage246 View Post
I flooded the carpet with water, took a stiff brush and some soap and scrubbed the carpet. Then I flooded the carpet again to rinse and let dry. Do it on a sunny day so the carpet will dry faster.
no don't do that because you trap moisture under the carpet and your car will be damp for days/weeks.

2007 jeep compass
2WD 2,4L
20% tint on windows
post #5 of 27 Old 04-24-2011, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zackman View Post
no don't do that because you trap moisture under the carpet and your car will be damp for days/weeks.
The water will drain out through the seep holes plus the carpets get soaked in the winter time anyway. They are made to take getting wet.
post #6 of 27 Old 04-25-2011, 04:22 AM

Quote:
The water will drain out through the seep holes plus the carpets get soaked in the winter time anyway. They are made to take getting wet.
there are 2 ways of doing this the incorrect way which you suggested, and the correct way which i am suggesting. there is padding and stuff under the carpets you don't want it taking on water and salt residue and sitting there!!! this should be cleaned with an extractor, plain and simple. dont argue with me im a detailer i have seen damage done from doing it your way.

like i have offered to other members in the city i will help you guys out im all over the place from north of toronto to east to west i am willing to lend a hand to fellow members.

2007 jeep compass
2WD 2,4L
20% tint on windows
post #7 of 27 Old 04-27-2011, 03:08 PM

Quote:
there are 2 ways of doing this the incorrect way which you suggested, and the correct way which i am suggesting. there is padding and stuff under the carpets you don't want it taking on water and salt residue and sitting there!!! this should be cleaned with an extractor, plain and simple. dont argue with me im a detailer i have seen damage done from doing it your way.

like i have offered to other members in the city i will help you guys out im all over the place from north of toronto to east to west i am willing to lend a hand to fellow members.
Well what happens to the carpets and underpadding when it gets wet in the wintertime from all the snow that is tracked into the car? Most people don't do anything about it. Since your the detailer tell me whats the difference in putting more water onto a already soaked carpet?
post #8 of 27 Old 04-27-2011, 03:16 PM

Garage
Hot water and vinegar though it smells pretty bad or "Salt Eraser" can that you can buy at Canadian Tire. If you don't have much salt, it will come off but if you have a lot, I suggest a professionnal cleaning.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

HID Trois-Rivières /
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 27 Old 04-28-2011, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Well what happens to the carpets and underpadding when it gets wet in the wintertime from all the snow that is tracked into the car? Most people don't do anything about it. Since your the detailer tell me whats the difference in putting more water onto a already soaked carpet?
Most people have rubber boot mats that catch all the run off the footware. Very little get around those mats and not enough to soak the carpet.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

post #10 of 27 Old 04-28-2011, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripplec View Post
Most people have rubber boot mats that catch all the run off the footware. Very little get around those mats and not enough to soak the carpet.
exactly! and if your carpet is getting soaked your going to have problems down the line with rust. this is a clients car and i didnt soak the carpets! and note the vehicle is a mazda 3 very difficult carpet material to work with. they came out perfect! and the carpet is dry within 3 hours not 3 weeks also on that note if you are doucing your carpets with water you will get condensation on your windows and your car will develop a smell. i have seen it many times first hand.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 205075_10150205708266062_517011061_8455085_945202_n(2).jpg (62.0 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 216840_10150205821656062_517011061_8456248_5871797_n(2).jpg (51.4 KB, 6 views)

2007 jeep compass
2WD 2,4L
20% tint on windows
post #11 of 27 Old 04-29-2011, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripplec View Post
Sorry..don't believe that.. I have tried all sorts of rubber mats in my car and not one is able to contain the run off in the winter time.
post #12 of 27 Old 04-29-2011, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Sorry..don't believe that.. I have tried all sorts of rubber mats in my car and not one is able to contain the run off in the winter time.
WEATHERTECH....enough said
http://www.weathertech.com/store/pro...ItemGroupId=52

2007 jeep compass
2WD 2,4L
20% tint on windows
post #13 of 27 Old 04-30-2011, 03:53 PM

nice car mats... but,I don't think many people will spend over $200.00 for a set of car mats.
post #14 of 27 Old 05-01-2011, 11:37 AM

Was wondering, if I got rust proofing, do I still need car mats? I figure if doesn't damage the car, then I can just wash the carpet via a regular carpet cleaner?
post #15 of 27 Old 05-04-2011, 03:07 AM

oh boy....

2007 jeep compass
2WD 2,4L
20% tint on windows
post #16 of 27 Old 05-04-2011, 11:48 AM

Quote:
oh boy....
Precisely Zac...

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #17 of 27 Old 05-04-2011, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgage View Post
nice car mats... but,I don't think many people will spend over $200.00 for a set of car mats.
who said you have to spend 200? i can get a set for 50 used locally...check your local resources/ebay.

2007 jeep compass
2WD 2,4L
20% tint on windows
post #18 of 27 Old 05-05-2011, 12:12 AM

Quote:
oh boy....
LOL!!! I take it from both the response I got from Zac and Tripp that a floor mat is still required even though I have rust proofing. Don't worry both of you, I've taken Zac's advice and purchased the WeatherTech Digital Fit floor mats for the 2011 Compass.

This is my first car and I really want to take good care of it, so it can last a long time.

Thank you very much for the suggestion.
post #19 of 27 Old 05-05-2011, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenardz33 View Post
LOL!!! I take it from both the response I got from Zac and Tripp that a floor mat is still required even though I have rust proofing. Don't worry both of you, I've taken Zac's advice and purchased the WeatherTech Digital Fit floor mats for the 2011 Compass.

This is my first car and I really want to take good care of it, so it can last a long time.

Thank you very much for the suggestion.
Ok, I see your IQ just ramped up. Good move and glad you figured that out. I don't know about the other guys but I take my rubber matts (whatever type) out in the spring or summer and let the heat dry the moisture out of the carpets. Cleaning the standard floor matts and or base carpet is pretty easy with a hover(vacuum) unless its mud you're dragging in. But in the winter they are a must for the regular positions.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

Last edited by tripplec; 05-05-2011 at 12:57 AM.
post #20 of 27 Old 05-10-2011, 12:06 AM

Quote:
who said you have to spend 200? i can get a set for 50 used locally...check your local resources/ebay.
Huh?? Your the one that posted the link to their car mats and they are over $200.00 for the front ones alone. How many people are going to have a used set for 2008 jeep compass for sale?

Last edited by dgage246; 05-10-2011 at 12:16 AM.
post #21 of 27 Old 05-10-2011, 02:33 AM

Quote:
Huh?? Your the one that posted the link to their car mats and they are over $200.00 for the front ones alone. How many people are going to have a used set for 2008 jeep compass for sale?
i have found a set for 50 but im not telling you because im buying them LOL

2007 jeep compass
2WD 2,4L
20% tint on windows
post #22 of 27 Old 05-10-2011, 02:57 AM

WHAT?! Is that for the 2011?! I paid $200 for mine and it's being delivered tomorrow! =D

Where can I get mud flaps?
post #23 of 27 Old 05-10-2011, 03:01 AM

Quote:
WHAT?! Is that for the 2011?! I paid $200 for mine and it's being delivered tomorrow! =D

Where can I get mud flaps?
no not for the 2011 well idk if they fit but they are meant for 07/08 and mb 09 im not framilliar with the interior on the newer ones. we need to get a toronto meet going! or like a cruise or something!

2007 jeep compass
2WD 2,4L
20% tint on windows
post #24 of 27 Old 05-10-2011, 03:47 AM

HAHA!!! I was just telling my girlfriend that I'm going to propose a Compass cruise with all the Toronto/GTA folks here once I've broken in my compass...but...I'm still waiting for my compass to come.

I can't believe it's only been a week since I ordered it. Still another 3 to 7 weeks to wait. I'm hoping it's only 3 weeks.
post #25 of 27 Old 05-10-2011, 03:49 AM

Quote:
HAHA!!! I was just telling my girlfriend that I'm going to propose a Compass cruise with all the Toronto/GTA folks here once I've broken in my compass...but...I'm still waiting for my compass to come.

I can't believe it's only been a week since I ordered it. Still another 3 to 7 weeks to wait. I'm hoping it's only 3 weeks.
yes forsure a meet is needed! what part of toronto are you located? i put out an thread last year there is some interest in a meet

2007 jeep compass
2WD 2,4L
20% tint on windows
post #26 of 27 Old 05-10-2011, 10:47 AM

Nice! We should get a thread up again around June for a cruise or something this July (I'm just thinking worst case scenario...where I get my car in another 7 weeks.)

I'm located at downtown Toronto, what about you? Where are the rest of you folks on here from too?
post #27 of 27 Old 05-11-2011, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Nice! We should get a thread up again around June for a cruise or something this July (I'm just thinking worst case scenario...where I get my car in another 7 weeks.)

I'm located at downtown Toronto, what about you? Where are the rest of you folks on here from too?
there is a guy from vaughn, oakville i think, markham, orangeville, ajax i think. there is a handfull of us. im actually in eastyork. 2 minute drive from the danforth!

2007 jeep compass
2WD 2,4L
20% tint on windows

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in