Jeep Compass reliability - how does it compare? - Page 2 - Jeep Compass Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #31 of 95 Old 11-29-2008, 06:43 PM Thread Starter

Re: Jeep Compass reliability - how does it compare?

Updated results recently posted. Jeep Compass and Patriot reliability, in terms of successful repair trips per 100 vehicles per year:

2007: 55, about average

2008: 72, about average

Additional participants would be helpful, especially for the new 2009. The larger the sample size, the more information we can provide.

For the full set of results, and to sign up to help:

TrueDelta Vehicle Reliability Survey results

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Vehicle reliability, fuel economy, and price comparison information
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 95 Old 02-28-2009, 05:44 PM Thread Starter

We have updated results for the Jeep Compass. In terms of successful repair trips per 100 cars per year:

2007: 51, about average

2008: 52, about average

A big thanks to everyone who has been helping. We'll have further updates in May, August, and November. With more participants, we could provide more precise information and cover all model years, including the 2009. Especially need more 2009s.

We now have a separate results page for each model that includes the results for competitors. The page for the Jeep Patriot, which includes the Compass:

Jeep Patriot reliability comparisons

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #33 of 95 Old 05-24-2009, 04:56 PM Thread Starter

We have updated results for the Compass. In terms of successful repair trips per 100 cars per year:

2008: 47, about average

2007: 58, about average

A big thanks to everyone who has been helping. We'll have further updates in August and November. With more participants, we could provide more precise information and cover all model years.

Jeep Patriot / Compass reliability comparisons

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 95 Old 06-06-2009, 02:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlutoniumX View Post
Funny, I think the front end is the bit of styling I like the most.
I'll dare to raise an old thread from the dead. I like the front styling the best too.

|
|
post #35 of 95 Old 06-08-2009, 01:23 AM
Super Moderator

One of many.................period !!!!!

Life is short, Break the rules,
Forgive quickly, Love truly,
Laugh uncontrollably...
Never regret anything that made you smile!
Have a wonderful day!

post #36 of 95 Old 07-29-2009, 04:07 PM

The round headlights with the grill is a traditional Jeep design element. They made it unique in the Compass by allowing the design to flow back into the hood. By doing this the extra curves actually make the hood a more solid design.

Drop the hood on a Wrangler then on a Compass and you will see what I mean.

One problem so far and the dealer took care of it in one morning under warranty. Not bad for a new design. My 2007 Compass now has 30,000 miles.

Jeep is a way of life, not just transportation.
post #37 of 95 Old 09-13-2009, 02:39 AM

My Compass has 57,000 miles plus on the odometer, it's good so far. The Patriots that I looked at before buying this Jeep seemed cheaper in quality than compared to my Compass. Look for my posts a year from now.

|
|
post #38 of 95 Old 09-29-2009, 05:08 PM Thread Starter

We have updated results to include owner experiences through the end of June 2009. In terms of successful repair trips per 100 cars per year:

Compass / Patriot
2008: 35, better than average
2007: 32, better than average

A big thank you, once again, to this forum and everyone who has been helping. We'll have further updates in November and February. With more participants, we could provide more precise information and cover all model years.

post #39 of 95 Old 10-01-2009, 03:20 AM

Garage
How does that add up???

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkaresh View Post
We have updated results to include owner experiences through the end of June 2009. In terms of successful repair trips per 100 cars per year:

Compass / Patriot
Excuse me - It may just be me, but I don't understand:
Are you saying that for every 100 repair trips only we have a 32% to 35% chance of a "successful" trip? Does that mean nearly 65% of service visits are not successful?
And that is "better than average", to me that suggests most people don't have much luck at the garage.
post #40 of 95 Old 10-01-2009, 03:29 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for asking. What you're describing would be the number of successful repair trips per 100 repair trips, not per 100 cars.

This means that for every 100 cars, there are 32-35 repair trips that include a successful repair. We don't include unsuccessful trips in this measure because that would be measuring the skill of the mechanic, not the reliability of the car.

post #41 of 95 Old 10-01-2009, 03:31 AM

Quote:

Compass / Patriot

A big thank you, once again, to this forum and everyone who has been helping. We'll have further updates in November and February. With more participants, we could provide more precise information and cover all model years.

Yes, please explain. Some of us here are confused, not clear on your report. Please post updates.

|
|
post #42 of 95 Old 10-01-2009, 03:36 AM

A 35% repair rate? That's not good. Is the Jeep Compass junk or are the dealer repairs junk?

|
|
post #43 of 95 Old 10-01-2009, 03:41 AM

Garage
Say it like it is. Compass is one reliable vehicle! kudos!

Quote:
Thanks for asking. What you're describing would be the number of successful repair trips per 100 repair trips, not per 100 cars.

This means that for every 100 cars, there are 32-35 repair trips that include a successful repair. We don't include unsuccessful trips in this measure because that would be measuring the skill of the mechanic, not the reliability of the car.
SO, for every 100 cars, only 35 needed a repair that was done successfully, per year. Routine oil change visits without repairs don't count but you are not telling how many people had unsuccessful repairs or had to go back for whatever reasons.
But to say that for every 100 cars, 35 of us broke something or had something break that needed to be fixed.
Where do warranty claims fall in to this????
I am sure you are reinforcing the fact that these are very reliable vehicles, but the math just boggles my mind.

Last edited by i2canoe; 10-01-2009 at 03:44 AM. Reason: added warranty question
post #44 of 95 Old 10-01-2009, 03:41 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepster2 View Post
Yes, please explain. Some of us here are confused, not clear on your report. Please post updates.
Did you see the post immediately above yours? I might have posted it after you started writing.

If only about one in three vehicles requires a single repair--for anything--in a year, that's pretty good.

Put another way, at least 2/3 require no repairs at all during a year.

post #45 of 95 Old 10-01-2009, 03:48 AM Thread Starter

For any of these cars with under 36k miles, the warranty usually pays for the repair.

post #46 of 95 Old 10-01-2009, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Did you see the post immediately above yours? I might have posted it after you started writing.

If only about one in three vehicles requires a single repair--for anything--in a year, that's pretty good.

Put another way, at least 2/3 require no repairs at all during a year.
Yes, this has become pretty busy! What do your studies show in comparing the Jeep Compass to the Jeep Patriot, if you don't mind my asking? Which one rates better for repair rates? Thanks, and keep up your input.

|
|
post #47 of 95 Old 10-01-2009, 03:51 AM Thread Starter

I haven't looked at them separately. I don't there are enough Compasses signed up to do this. But except for the body they're essentially the same vehicle, so I wouldn't expect any difference.

post #48 of 95 Old 10-01-2009, 03:58 AM

Thanks mkaresh, to be continued?

|
|
post #49 of 95 Old 10-22-2009, 06:32 PM

just joined truedelta , thanks
post #50 of 95 Old 12-10-2009, 05:41 PM Thread Starter

We have updated results for the Patriot and Compass to include owner experiences through September 30, 2009. In terms of repair trips per 100 cars per year:

2009: 63, about average, but small sample size

2008: 26, better than average

2007: 28, better than average, but small sample size

We've also introduced two new statistics, "Nada-odds" and "Lemon-odds," to indicate the percentage of cars with no repairs in the past year and those that required 3+ trips to the repair shop.

In the case of the 2008, the percentage with no repairs is about 75, and the percentage of lemons is less than one.

Everyone who has been helping, thanks, I appreciate it. We'll have further updates in February and May. Additional participants would enable us to fully cover all model years. So if you aren't already participating, please consider it.

post #51 of 95 Old 02-17-2010, 04:52 PM Thread Starter

We have updated results for the Patriot and Compass to include owner experiences through December 31, 2009. In terms of repair trips per 100 cars per year:

2009: 35 -- improved with larger sample size

2008: 36

2007: 29, small sample size

All are now better than average.

We have two additional statistics, "Nada-odds" and "Lemon-odds," to indicate the percentage of cars with no repairs in the past year and those that required 3+ trips to the repair shop.

In the case of the 2008, the percentage with no repairs is about 70, and the percentage of lemons is less than one.

Everyone who has been helping, thanks, I appreciate it. We'll have further updates in May and August. Additional participants would enable us to fully cover all model years. So if you aren't already participating, please consider it.

post #52 of 95 Old 06-02-2010, 03:03 PM Thread Starter

We have updated results for the Patriot and Compass to include owner experiences through March 31, 2010. In terms of repair trips per 100 cars per year:

2009: 33

2008: 56

2007: 37

The 2008 is about average, the other two are better than average. Small sample size for the 2007, so it might not be accurate.

We have two additional statistics, "Nada-odds" and "Lemon-odds," to indicate the percentage of cars with no repairs in the past year and those that required 3+ trips to the repair shop.

In the case of the 2008, the percentage with no repairs is about 55, and the percentage of lemons is less than one.

Everyone who has been helping, thanks, I appreciate it. We'll have further updates in August and November. Additional participants would enable us to fully cover all model years. So if you aren't already participating, please consider it.

post #53 of 95 Old 08-17-2010, 04:15 PM Thread Starter

We have updated results for the Patriot and Compass to include owner experiences through June 30, 2010. In terms of repair trips per 100 cars per year:

2009: 36

2008: 51

2007: 37

The 2008 is about average, the other two are better than average.

In the case of the 2008, the percentage with no repairs is about 56, and the percentage of lemons is less than one.

Thank you, once again, to this forum and everyone who has been helping. We'll have further updates in November and February.

To see how competitors compare, and sign up to help:

Last edited by mkaresh; 09-13-2010 at 04:52 PM.
post #54 of 95 Old 12-13-2010, 11:47 AM

great great ,i looking forward to join it
post #55 of 95 Old 12-19-2010, 02:50 PM
Banned

yes its the populated and heavy traffic zones which leads to the lowering of mileage of compass or for that matter any vehicle
post #56 of 95 Old 12-31-2010, 04:20 PM Thread Starter

We have updated results for the Patriot and Compass to include owner experiences through September 30, 2010. Other sources of car reliability information won't cover the months since April until the summer or even fall of next year.

Repair frequencies, in terms of repair trips per 100 cars per year:

2009: 42

2008: 67

2007: 61

All are about average.

In the case of the 2008, the percentage with no repairs is about 58, and the percentage of lemons is less than one.

Thank you, once again, to this forum and everyone who has been helping. We'll have further updates in February and May. Additional participants would enable us to fully cover all model years.

To see how competitors compare, and to sign up to help:

Jeep Patriot / Compass reliability ratings and comparisons

post #57 of 95 Old 03-10-2011, 08:21 PM

I was also wondering what it meant.

Well for every problem I have had in my 2009 no less the 3 trips to get it corrected many were 4 or 5. Then there are those they won't fix because they categorize the problem as normal. What that does that go under. I have 2 fault in that category.

PS: At this rate and its still under full warranty I may have to find more dealers. They're going to think I work there coming back so often. I remember once I never really left the parking lot for my temp sensor problem and had A/C issues right after. I was back 4 times in 10 min because they couldn't hook the controls back properly and eventually got away.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

post #58 of 95 Old 03-10-2011, 09:02 PM Thread Starter

Because I'm trying to focus on the car and not the quality of the repair shop, the current stats only include repair trips in which something was successfully repaired.

I would like to add a stat that includes all repair trips, but this will require more participants.

post #59 of 95 Old 03-11-2011, 02:21 PM

On Wed.3/9 I bumped a cement step in my brother's driveway only moving at under 5 mph and the right front ball joints separated from the wheel on my 2007 Compass Sport. I think I damaged my power steering or the brake line tore loose because I leaked out power steering fluid. I have no idea what this is going to cost me. The auto mechanic can't get the ball joint replacement parts from an auto part's supplier so he has to go to the dealer for parts. I now believe the front ends on the Compass are faulty. I only have 28,000 miles on the vehicle.

Last edited by umpire410; 03-11-2011 at 02:26 PM.
post #60 of 95 Old 03-11-2011, 02:45 PM

Sound like it was ready to seperate already and the broke it free. The 2007 all have this problem and its cronic. You will have to replace them at least once at lower millage and ball joints as well. they should be checked at each oil change so something like this does not happen.

there are aftermarket a-arms for this maybe his parts source is not carrying them!!!

Dealer from what I here are using non Mopar parts according to one mechanic who created a YouTube video. I posted links in another thread on control arms since they're integrated into them.

EG Here and other places. http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...uestid=1662737

And here: Called Control Arm (has the ball joint) http://www.autopartsgiant.com/parts/...=&N=0&uts=true

Google....

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in