Jeep Compass reliability - how does it compare? - Jeep Compass Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 95 Old 06-15-2007, 06:29 PM Thread Starter

Jeep Compass reliability - how does it compare?

In late 2005 I started conducting my own reliability research. I'm reporting absolute stats like "times in the shop" that will make the differences between cars much clearer. Relative ratings obscure too much--how large is the difference between "better than average" and "worse than average"? I’ll also be updating results four times a year, so there will be information on new models sooner.

I've been collecting data on the Dodge Caliber for some time (currently it's just a bit worse than average), and just started with the Patriot and Compass. I'm probably going to combine the two Jeeps because just about everything that might break is shared. But I'd like to still have a good sample of both, just in case they turn out to have unique issues.

So far, 75 Caliber owners and 21 Patriot owners are signed up to participate. Very few Compass owners, though, because I haven't had a forum lending a hand for this variant.

Participants report repairs the month after they occur on a one-page survey. When there are no repairs, they simply report an approximate odometer reading four times a year, at the end of each quarter.

To encourage participation, panel members will receive full access to the results free of charge.

Details: Vehicle reliability research

Comments, questions, and suggestions welcome.
ntmccarty likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Vehicle reliability, fuel economy, and price comparison information
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 95 Old 06-17-2007, 04:26 AM
ACX

well well well.

I'll look into joining up.
post #3 of 95 Old 06-18-2007, 02:42 PM

I joined; looks like a effort worth participating in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 95 Old 07-12-2007, 06:45 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, I appreciate it.

I'm hoping to have some preliminary results in November. I'll likely combine responses for the Compass and the Patriot, since they share just about everything but the sheetmetal. But if I see many problems unique to one or the other, I'll split them apart.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 95 Old 07-17-2007, 04:01 AM

Hey this is a very good idea! To have actual owners post their real world results is far better than Consumer Reports that has an eye for European, and Asian vehicles.
I have made a practice to buy American Made vehicles for the last 30 years. I look at where the vehicle is made ( Canada, Mexico, Japan, Korea, Europe) I consider Canada as the same as the USA if I can't get the vehicle I want made in the USA.
I have bought 13 new Chrysler made vehicles, and I have found that I have had very good service from the dealers and the company when something goes wrong.
Where as I bought 3 Ford vehicles, Airostar, Topaz. Taurus, and all three had excessive repairs that were premature, and very poor dealership repairs. Ford was not very helpful in resolving warranty problems.
The old saying that if your happy you will tell 3 people, if your unhappy you will twenty. That's something Ford is now learning from it's poor sales.
I welcome a place where we can really know what the comsumer has experienced :lol:
ntmccarty likes this.
post #6 of 95 Old 07-17-2007, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by farout
Hey this is a very good idea! To have actual owners post their real world results is far better than Consumer Reports that has an eye for European, and Asian vehicles.
I have made a practice to buy American Made vehicles for the last 30 years. I look at where the vehicle is made ( Canada, Mexico, Japan, Korea, Europe) I consider Canada as the same as the USA if I can't get the vehicle I want made in the USA.
I have bought 13 new Chrysler made vehicles, and I have found that I have had very good service from the dealers and the company when something goes wrong.
Where as I bought 3 Ford vehicles, Airostar, Topaz. Taurus, and all three had excessive repairs that were premature, and very poor dealership repairs. Ford was not very helpful in resolving warranty problems.
The old saying that if your happy you will tell 3 people, if your unhappy you will twenty. That's something Ford is now learning from it's poor sales.
I welcome a place where we can really know what the comsumer has experienced :lol:
Just for the record Consumer Reports does survey all it's subscribers for vehicle reliability. Also they must get at Least 100 responses before they will score a vehicle for reliability.

:!:

2008 Jeep Compass Limited 4X4 (CVT)
post #7 of 95 Old 07-17-2007, 09:24 PM

I had a 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD (diesel) and CR reported it got 13 mpg! The very worst that was in the forum I regulary use was 18 mpg and most achieved better than 22 to 30 mpg. CR was asked how they got this mog and they refused to even retest. We later found out it was a test in 1 gear for some small time period.
CR has it's bias and they are not always right. Recently PBS has a report on how CR fudged a test and was being sued.
I found out that CR was sure wrong on oil filters!
I just take what I read with some caution.
post #8 of 95 Old 07-21-2007, 05:51 PM Thread Starter

Their city test probably includes a lot of stop and go and low speeds. Think rush hour in NYC. The numbers it yields are always quite low.

post #9 of 95 Old 07-22-2007, 03:03 AM

No, the CR report said that was the avrage miles per gallon. Heck even a Dodge Durango gets that with the HEMI. CR just muffed it on that CRD report. :evil: Heck Motor Week on PBS rated the CRD at 21 mpg. These folks I do trust.
post #10 of 95 Old 07-22-2007, 03:34 AM Thread Starter

It's the average from their city test loop, which includes a lot of stop and go and low speeds. I guarantee the HEMI doesn't get 13 in this test.

Actually, let me look it up...

The Liberty CRD actually got 11 in their city loop, 26 on their highway loop, and 18 overall. The overall number for the 3.7 gas engine is 15.

The numbers for the Ram with the HEMI are 8 city, 17 highway, and 11 overall.

I have many problems with CR's methods, but their fuel economy results look sound to me. Just got to understand that when they say city, they mean city, not suburbs.

post #11 of 95 Old 07-22-2007, 01:12 PM

Quote:
No, the CR report said that was the avrage miles per gallon. Heck even a Dodge Durango gets that with the HEMI. CR just muffed it on that CRD report. :evil: Heck Motor Week on PBS rated the CRD at 21 mpg. These folks I do trust.
You can criticize CR for some things but their Fuel Economy tests are not one of them. They are one of the few publications that do REAL World Driving Fuel Economy tests. They give you the City Numbers, The highway numbers & the Mixed Use Average Numbers.

They are also the only publication that I know of that buys all their own products and doesn't accept any advertising. They may not be perfect but they're more impartial than most publications & websites.

Here are the Fuel Economy Numbers for the Caliber & Compass from CR:

Compass Sport 4WD

City: 16 MPG (US Gallons)
Highway: 28 MPG
Mixed Use Average: 22 MPG

Caliber SXT (2.0 Liter Engine)
City: 17 MPG
Highway: 32 MPG
Mixed Use Average: 24 MPG

Caliber R/T AWD
City: 15 MPG
Highway: 30 MPG
Mixed Use Average: 22 MPG

post #12 of 95 Old 07-22-2007, 11:05 PM

Consumer Reports reliability

CR has many publication on vehicles. Just go to any Barns and Nobles and look at the cvehicle section. CR has the used vehicle values, CR has the New Car buyers guide, and SUV guide. If you look at the Jeep Liberty section from 2002 to 2007 CR has repeated the same thing for every year. There are several errors in the technical data that is incorrect and CR never corrected their mistake. :cry:
CR in the oil filter tests WIX was poorly rated filter! That's just not correct! :twisted:
CR says the Caliber, Compass and the Patriot are all the same basicly. There are simular underpinings, but each has it's unique features that make it different.
Only the Jeep brands come standard with anit-lock brakes, and disc brakes. All Compass's come with 17" wheels and the Limited with 18". :lol: The Patriot comes with 16" unless it's a Limited. So there is a big difference, at least to me anyway.
post #13 of 95 Old 07-22-2007, 11:35 PM Thread Starter

I'm with them on the Patriot and Compass being very similar aside from sheetmetal. The Caliber is a more different, with a lower seating position, less interior room, and a body that is not as tall.

Every site and publication has quite a few errors in it, sadly even my own. It's hard to avoid when you've got thousands of data points, and all sources of data themselves contain errors.

post #14 of 95 Old 07-23-2007, 03:09 PM

Re: Consumer Reports reliability

Quote:
CR has many publication on vehicles. Just go to any Barns and Nobles and look at the cvehicle section. CR has the used vehicle values, CR has the New Car buyers guide, and SUV guide. If you look at the Jeep Liberty section from 2002 to 2007 CR has repeated the same thing for every year. There are several errors in the technical data that is incorrect and CR never corrected their mistake. :cry:
CR in the oil filter tests WIX was poorly rated filter! That's just not correct! :twisted:
CR says the Caliber, Compass and the Patriot are all the same basicly. There are simular underpinings, but each has it's unique features that make it different.
Only the Jeep brands come standard with anit-lock brakes, and disc brakes. All Compass's come with 17" wheels and the Limited with 18". :lol: The Patriot comes with 16" unless it's a Limited. So there is a big difference, at least to me anyway.
Actually the Caliber R/T comes with 4 Disc Anti Lock Brakes... but the Caliber, Compass & Patriot are more similar than they are different.

post #15 of 95 Old 07-24-2007, 01:07 AM

I guess that may seem that way until you look at the things that don't come with the Caliber. The extra money was well worth it from my view point. However, the Caliber RT has a lot more going for it, whenyou consider what the SXT has in it. The 2.4 engine is not in the other Caliber's. The Compass is not as good an MPG as the Caliber. I have yet to hear of any Compass with the 2. L engine, which Chrysler said would be out late in the model year.
I think all three models will turn out to be a good lasting vehicle. I like the Compass, but the front end has taken some time for me to like. The Back end looks good, but the front is a bit odd looking, to me.
post #16 of 95 Old 07-24-2007, 01:24 AM

Funny, I think the front end is the bit of styling I like the most.
post #17 of 95 Old 07-24-2007, 01:37 AM

There is one thing for sure the Compass is not the BOX style of the Patroit. There are many Patroits sitting on Dealers lots. One dealer In Kansas City has 32 Patroits, while there are only 9 Compass's sitting there. I know of one dealer that has a Patroit sitting for three months.
I don't know why, maybe it's because they don't discount them yet.
post #18 of 95 Old 07-29-2007, 06:13 PM
ACX

ahahaha I see you're formally affiliated with truthaboutcars now... :lol:

The site that has the compass as one of the ugliest vehicles sold?

what was it their TWAT awards?

good thing they don't ban people for speaking their mind here (sort of like getting fired from a newspaper for writing a bad review)..

lol..
post #19 of 95 Old 08-03-2007, 06:39 PM

Re: Jeep Compass reliability - how does it compare?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkaresh
In late 2005 I started conducting my own reliability research. I'm reporting absolute stats like "times in the shop" that will make the differences between cars much clearer. Relative ratings obscure too much--how large is the difference between "better than average" and "worse than average"? I’ll also be updating results four times a year, so there will be information on new models sooner.

I've been collecting data on the Dodge Caliber for some time (currently it's just a bit worse than average), and just started with the Patriot and Compass. I'm probably going to combine the two Jeeps because just about everything that might break is shared. But I'd like to still have a good sample of both, just in case they turn out to have unique issues.

So far, 75 Caliber owners and 21 Patriot owners are signed up to participate. Very few Compass owners, though, because I haven't had a forum lending a hand for this variant.

Participants report repairs the month after they occur on a one-page survey. When there are no repairs, they simply report an approximate odometer reading four times a year, at the end of each quarter.

To encourage participation, panel members will receive full access to the results free of charge.

I'll join up next month, once I take delivery of my 2008 Jeep Compass Limited.

post #20 of 95 Old 08-03-2007, 06:42 PM
ACX

Hey David Karesh, all the owners here can thank the site you work for, for the nice words about the compass..

Class act!

this is what truthaboutcars.com, the site he whores at has to say about the compass..

2. Jeep Compass

“Props to DCX for trying to introduce an economical model for fans of the storied Jeep brand.. In this horror story, Dr. Frankenstein (played by the mustache-twirling Doktor Z) grafts round headlights and a seven-slot grill onto the face of a mediocre high-riding sedan (a.k.a. the Dodge Caliber). He throws the switch and an ugly, gangly, underpowered, mud-aversive half-breed staggers into the light, turning all who see it-- or heaven forbid buy it-- into grotesque, bobble-headed morons. The Compass stomps all over Jeep’s reputation as America’s purveyor of authentic off-road vehicles. It’s time to get your pitchfork.”

thanks for the kind words guys, don't pull any punches.
post #21 of 95 Old 08-03-2007, 09:29 PM

David K.
I went to the web site and upon the log in you ask for the car's plate number. I am not too pleased to do so. I want to hear that you do not share this information with anyone else.
Could you please explain why you needed this information, a VIN number would have been just as good to my way of thinking.

farout
post #22 of 95 Old 08-05-2007, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlutoniumX

With the new Liberty for 2008 the Compass will have a dated fromt end, and be the ONLY jeep that has the raised rounded fenders, unless the 2008 Compass changed to a front end like the Patriot. However I can't see Chrsyler spending to money to re-tool the front end just yet.
post #23 of 95 Old 08-27-2007, 03:27 AM

Garage
Quote:
Quote:

With the new Liberty for 2008 the Compass will have a dated fromt end, and be the ONLY jeep that has the raised rounded fenders,

THE RAISED ROUNDED FENDERS ARE MY FAVOURITE STYLING DETAIL!!! :!:

Loved
my 2007 Compass 5-Speed, Limited!

{BUT NOW SOOO IN LOVE WITH MY NEW CRUSH WRANGLER!}

-[OIIIIIIO]-

"No man should go through life without once experiencing healthy, even bored solitude in the wilderness, finding himself depending solely on himself and thereby learning his true and hidden strength."
~Jack Kerouac

“Everybody must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing.”
-Henry David Thoreau

post #24 of 95 Old 09-04-2007, 06:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
David K.
I went to the web site and upon the log in you ask for the car's plate number. I am not too pleased to do so. I want to hear that you do not share this information with anyone else.
Could you please explain why you needed this information, a VIN number would have been just as good to my way of thinking.

farout
Sorry for the late response. I haven't been receiving notifications of these posts.

I ask for the plate number because, as many people have pointed out to me, I need some way to verify that vehicles exist if some seem suspicious. So far, I've seen no need to do this. The plate numbers are not posted anywhere on the site.

Many people just enter 99 because they don't know the number off-hand, in which case I'll ask for the plate number later if this ever seems necessary.

I don't ask for a VIN because hardly anyone knows their VIN, and no one can remember a VIN without writing it down. When I first had the idea of asking for plate numbers, I had no idea it'd be so much of a problem for some people. A plate is about the most public personal information there is, by design.

I think the general practice of blurring the things on TV leads people to assume there must be a very good reason for doing this. But if there is, I'm not aware of it.

post #25 of 95 Old 09-04-2007, 06:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACX
Hey David Karesh, all the owners here can thank the site you work for, for the nice words about the compass..

Class act!

this is what truthaboutcars.com, the site he whores at has to say about the compass..

2. Jeep Compass

“Props to DCX for trying to introduce an economical model for fans of the storied Jeep brand.. In this horror story, Dr. Frankenstein (played by the mustache-twirling Doktor Z) grafts round headlights and a seven-slot grill onto the face of a mediocre high-riding sedan (a.k.a. the Dodge Caliber). He throws the switch and an ugly, gangly, underpowered, mud-aversive half-breed staggers into the light, turning all who see it-- or heaven forbid buy it-- into grotesque, bobble-headed morons. The Compass stomps all over Jeep’s reputation as America’s purveyor of authentic off-road vehicles. It’s time to get your pitchfork.”

thanks for the kind words guys, don't pull any punches.
My first name is Michael, not David.

I supply pricing information to TTAC. "Whores at?" Ouch, that's harsh.

While they do go a bit over the top sometimes, it's the style of the place. Certainly everyone here is aware that not everyone likes the styling of the Compass.

If you want no one to be critical of how your car looks, buy something boring. And then it'll be criticized for being boring. My advice: buy what you personally like, and don't get all worked up about what others might think.

post #26 of 95 Old 09-08-2007, 04:05 PM

Quote:
I think the general practice of blurring the things on TV leads people to assume there must be a very good reason for doing this. But if there is, I'm not aware of it.
The biggest reason they blurr the plates on TV it to help protect where the person is from. At least that is what I have always been told.
post #27 of 95 Old 05-05-2008, 07:47 PM

Re:

Quote:
Originally Posted by i2canoe
Quote:
Quote:

With the new Liberty for 2008 the Compass will have a dated fromt end, and be the ONLY jeep that has the raised rounded fenders,

THE RAISED ROUNDED FENDERS ARE MY FAVOURITE STYLING DETAIL!!! :!:
I can't argue that. The front-end of the Compass looks more like the next generation Liberty than the Liberty does. I also love the aggressive fender flares the compass has. It's a great mix of off-road and sport

post #28 of 95 Old 05-29-2008, 08:07 PM Thread Starter

Latest results recently posted. The number is a bit higher for the 2007 this time--it's now average, maybe a bit better.

The result for the 2008 is worse than average, but the sample size is small and, given the result for the 2007, I suspect this result is not accurate.

For the full set of results, and sign up to help (if you haven't already):

TrueDelta Vehicle Reliability Survey results

post #29 of 95 Old 09-16-2008, 07:29 PM Thread Starter

Results have again been updated. Another three months of data appears to confirm the previous result: the 2008 appears to require more attention than the 2007. This is unusual, but possible.

We had more participants this time around, but more would be better still.

The full set of results:

TrueDelta Vehicle Reliability Survey results

post #30 of 95 Old 09-17-2008, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely2005
Quote:

I'll join up next month, once I take delivery of my 2008 Jeep Compass Limited.

Okay I finally joined up. I haven't had any issues with my Compass yet and I have about 17000Km on it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in