Gas Mileage/Gas Prices - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 8 Old 04-26-2011, 12:16 AM Thread Starter

Gas Mileage/Gas Prices

I hadn't checked my mileage since getting the Compass until the last time that I filled up with gas. My driving is all in town, stop and go in traffic and I averaged 22.8. It actually was better than I expected.

Over the weekend, gas here in Mpls/St. Paul hit $3.99. We've lived with gas just under $4.00 a few years ago, but over $4.00 is hard for me to fathom.

So today, I went over to the dark side. I feel like I sold my soul to the devil. You see, even though we live in the north, our hearts (my husband's and I), are in Florida, specifically in the St. Pete Beach area (our happy place). So when the BP oil spill happened a year ago, I vowed that I would never, ever buy gas from BP. However, there is a $.10 per gallon coupon on the back of a cash register reciept from a local store that I used today to fill up.

A girl and her Jeep - a beautiful thing

Barbara Frechette
2010 White Jeep Cherokee Sport
St. Paul, MN, USA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-26-2011, 01:40 PM

Gas here in southern Ohio hit $4.09 today. Sunday it was $3.89. I'm getting about 24 mpg in my 2011 Compass 4x4 with the auto tranny.
post #3 of 8 Old 04-26-2011, 06:04 PM

Garage
In the south, we have $3.69 gas for the most part, I got gas the other day for $3.64 though at a little station. Strange since Murphy's USA (wal-mart ) is usually the cheapest by a few pennies.

I have been averaging about 26mpg. Most of my driving is to/from work on country backroads at about 55mph.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 04-27-2011, 05:32 PM

I filled up last Friday (4/22) for $3.719. That was on the Kansas side of Kansas City, Missouri is usually 0.05-0.10 cheaper due to lower taxes.

I don't have a Compass YET, but I'm getting about 23 MPG lately, mostly city in my '03 Accord V6 AT.
post #5 of 8 Old 04-28-2011, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazieKC View Post
I filled up last Friday (4/22) for $3.719. That was on the Kansas side of Kansas City, Missouri is usually 0.05-0.10 cheaper due to lower taxes.

I don't have a Compass YET, but I'm getting about 23 MPG lately, mostly city in my '03 Accord V6 AT.
Well don't expect much better on a Compass. I get 29-30 Hwy but that on a CND gallon which is much larger. From other posts 24 is what others have been getting. Not that good for smaller lighter Jeep. I bet your front end is still original and no tie rods and ball joints replaced. You'll get that joy with these to replace.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 8 Old 04-29-2011, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripplec View Post
Well don't expect much better on a Compass. I get 29-30 Hwy but that on a CND gallon which is much larger. From other posts 24 is what others have been getting. Not that good for smaller lighter Jeep. I bet your front end is still original and no tie rods and ball joints replaced. You'll get that joy with these to replace.
Is there evidence of the tie rod and ball joint issues in the 2011's as well?
post #7 of 8 Old 04-29-2011, 09:28 PM

Not at this early date. The ealier Compass parts were used across a number of different vehicles other than Jeeps by Chrysler. Hence not a Jeep part just used it in conjuction with other existing parts.

The thought is that they may have changed the source supplier or whatever. Even lubricating them before assembly. I looked under one before test driving a while back and could not see any difference though. It certainly is not beefier in any way.

This is from Mevotech website:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tierods.jpg (89.3 KB, 4 views)

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 8 Old 04-30-2011, 02:57 PM
Administrator

Gas here just rolled over to $3.85 for reg 87 octane last Monday. In fact, I went to New Orleans and it was $3.75 in the morning when I left and had jumped .10 just while I was gone. $4+ here we come. I can't complain about the mileage though, even in my truck, and much better after tune up/oil/air filter change and throttle body cleaning. I average 16 mpg with mostly highway driving, not much stop and go traffic in my Ram 1500.

- Cherokee

My 2007 Jeep Compass Sport, Bright Silver Metallic, 26E, CVT II, Driver Convenience Group, Sunroof, Trailer Tow Prep Group, 4x2

1991 XJ Cherokee Sport 4X4 4.0 H/O I6
2008 Dodge Ram 1500 ST, SWB Reg Cab, Bright Silver Metallic, Trailer Tow Package

JEEP - Just Enjoy Everything, Period.....

Last edited by Cherokee; 04-30-2011 at 03:00 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in