First time car buyer looking for advice - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 6 Old 05-05-2011, 03:11 AM Thread Starter

First time car buyer looking for advice

I finally bought my first car and purchased a 2011 Jeep Compass, it's coming in 4 to 6 weeks...but...before it gets here, I wanted to make sure I get everything ready for it to last.

First of all, based on some advice here, I got floor mats for it. Is there anything else I need to get for it, so it's ready to deal with Canadian winters here? (I know, I know...it's not winter anymore...but I might as well get the interior prepped to deal with the harshest season)

Also, do I need to "break-in" the car? A couple friends told me that I shouldn't take it on the highway nor drive past 60 kph until I've gone the first 1000 km. Is that true? Also that I should do an initial oil change at 20 KM?

I was thinking of doing the whole oil, lube and filter change every 5000 km. Are there any other maintenance things I should do? what frequency should I do them?

If you can please provide some info, it'll be greatly appreciated! Thank you very much!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-05-2011, 03:47 AM
Administrator

I'm sure the floor mats are a great start and while I don't really have any experience with the winter driving conditions you encounter, I would think some splash guards would be a good idea as well.

As for engine break in, yes, and again, me not familiar with miles vs. kilometers, it is recommended that you keep it under a certain speed for the first few miles and then increase after that. Your owner's manual will describe this process for you, so it's best to take the time to read that thoroughly.

I think I did my first oil change at 2500 miles and then every 3K after that, just to get rid of the break in oil. I wouldn't recommend going much longer than that unless a) fluid change requirements have changed or b) you plan on using synthetic.

Again, your owner's manual will really give you the info you need, and this is based on my experience, but take care of your vehicle and it will take care of you.

- Cherokee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My 2007 Jeep Compass Sport, Bright Silver Metallic, 26E, CVT II, Driver Convenience Group, Sunroof, Trailer Tow Prep Group, 4x2

1991 XJ Cherokee Sport 4X4 4.0 H/O I6
2008 Dodge Ram 1500 ST, SWB Reg Cab, Bright Silver Metallic, Trailer Tow Package

JEEP - Just Enjoy Everything, Period.....
post #3 of 6 Old 05-05-2011, 07:12 AM

Nice purchase.

About breakin... I think its a good idea to get the rumored metal shavings out around 800 miles and get synthetic in there. These days, though, engines last and it really doesn't make a difference to do a quick oil change or a regular 3000 mile one.

It made me happy to do it so I did it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 05-05-2011, 08:06 PM

More or less follow the OEM recommendation for service. Its in the manual. 1st oil change around 4-5k is my recommendation as with the subsequent changes. I personally don't believe in the 10k+ changes. If filters get plugged then they're in bypass mode. Oil changes are affected by weather and driving habits. Sometime sooner is better especially over the winter. I do 2 (at the begining of the Winter usually by Nov & end of Dec or Jan sometime) they're around 3k at those times or sometimes more. But I wait for a seasonable day when it sunny and about 0 C since it done in my driveway.

Oil is cheap and the change is so easy on these. I would not go synthetic. Its not necessary unless you're were is -30C or colder in the winter it easier to start.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 Old 05-10-2011, 12:26 AM

Check the owners manual for the break in but for my Compass it was to "drive moderately for the first 500km. After the first 100km speeds of 80-90km/h are desirable. While cruising brief full throttle acceleration contributes to a good break in" Engine oil is every 10,000 kms even though I do it a every 5000km
post #6 of 6 Old 05-10-2011, 01:09 AM Thread Starter

Thank you so much for all your advice. I'll be sure to drive it on local roads only for the first 100 KM and then go 80-90 kph after. Oil, lube and filter changes every 5000 km seems likea good idea too.

When should I do all the other stuff: tire rotation, transmission check?, wheel re-allignment?, others?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in