Purchase Compass - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 40 Old 07-05-2007, 04:41 PM Thread Starter

Purchase Compass

Hello,
I just came across this forum and it looks really good and very useful to know all about Compass. A fine car for an incredible price.

I am really interested in a Compass North 4X2 here in Canada - and have a few questions, hopeing someone out there can offer some guidance.

1) Is it possible to order a compass at a dealership in Canada, or through jeep.ca direclty and then pick it up via the Factory in the U.S.A. to save on delivery charges? Although I know other costs will be accured to bring it over the boarder from USA to Canada.

2) I've done compariable price to the Ford Escape, Ford Edge, Honda CRV's, Toyota Tuscons etc. - and the Compass, for what I want looks really good - but why it is at a lower base price that other CUV or SUV's which are similiar in it's class?

3) What is the different between a 2007 and 2008 model?

Any help greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 Old 07-05-2007, 05:35 PM

This website may help answer your second question in regards to pricing / value:

http://driving.canada.com/research/comp ... 1072300301

You can change the other cars to compare them.

:!:

2008 Jeep Compass Limited 4X4 (CVT)
post #3 of 40 Old 07-05-2007, 05:53 PM
ACX

I would doubt you can pick it up from the factory in Belvidere.

For pricing, each company sets their pricing independent in Canada and the US. From looking at similar vehicles, I can say the compass may not be 100% as nice as the more expensive competitors (power seats for example), but in many cases you're saving 6-8-10 thousand dollars.

I know my G.F loves her loaded inferno red limited 4x4. We got it for 27,200 (les than a BASE CRV) and 6 months later have had nothing but good experiences.

Valuewise, the compass and patriot basically breaks the scale here. I believe a 5 speed 4X2 may qualify for the 1000 rebate from the government.

Best of luck with your purchase.

There shouldn't be too many changes between the 07s and 08s.

On edit - regarding Chrysler's pricing and lineup, their sales were up 24% last month based largely on new introductions, so I'm happy to report in general they seem to have done something right.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 40 Old 07-07-2007, 04:05 AM Thread Starter

Compass or Escape

Many thanks to both of you, who have responded to my questions..... really appreciate the advise and help.

We have looked into this a bit more, and are now leaning towards a 2008 brand new Ford Escape XLT model.

After much research and discussion and discusing this with both dealerships - for the Compass and the Escape - overall the Escape looks to be a better built car all the way around, and offers way more interior features - than the Compass. However, I still really like the look of Compass exterior - but compared to the Escape, tends to look a bit cheap on the inside.

The Compass' exterior looks compariable to the new 2007 Ford Edge, but having said that for what the Compass offers with all the features - on the North 4x2 model - the Compass looks like such a good deal; and it should for nearly $15,000 less than the Edge.

Comparred to the Compass and the Escape - basically in the end both are very comparaible in numbers and I feel am getting a way better car overall with the Escape...but having said that - still doing some research.

Still doing research and thinking about it....
post #5 of 40 Old 07-09-2007, 01:07 AM
ACX

what features are you getting on the interior of the escape for a comparable pricepoint? Just wondering.

I don't disagree that they did a good job on the new escapes - especially on the interior.. We looked at them but pricepoint was high, and I don't care for the aged motors. I was looking into one (a hybird actually) to replace my work truck but settled on a dodge nitro R/T miraculously enough for LESS money (G/F has the compass)..

I was checking a base XLT 4 cyl 4x4 and the price (with the friends and family discount) was around 27k. That is as much as we paid for a loaded limited 4x4. Family pricing for the limited was 32k, retail was like 36.

either way bes of luck with your purchase.
post #6 of 40 Old 07-09-2007, 03:35 AM Thread Starter

ACX - I have just sent you a private message.

All the best
post #7 of 40 Old 07-09-2007, 02:32 PM

Re: Compass or Escape

Quote:
Originally Posted by compass
Many thanks to both of you, who have responded to my questions..... really appreciate the advise and help.

We have looked into this a bit more, and are now leaning towards a 2008 brand new Ford Escape XLT model.

After much research and discussion and discusing this with both dealerships - for the Compass and the Escape - overall the Escape looks to be a better built car all the way around, and offers way more interior features - than the Compass. However, I still really like the look of Compass exterior - but compared to the Escape, tends to look a bit cheap on the inside.

The Compass' exterior looks compariable to the new 2007 Ford Edge, but having said that for what the Compass offers with all the features - on the North 4x2 model - the Compass looks like such a good deal; and it should for nearly $15,000 less than the Edge.

Comparred to the Compass and the Escape - basically in the end both are very comparaible in numbers and I feel am getting a way better car overall with the Escape...but having said that - still doing some research.

Still doing research and thinking about it....
The 4 cylinder Escape costs more and has less power than the Compass...

Check out these links:

http://driving.canada.com/research/comp ... 1072902901

http://driving.canada.com/research/comp ... 1072902801

post #8 of 40 Old 07-09-2007, 04:21 PM

We also compared the Escape and the Compass. We found out that there were a LOT of problems with the transmissions in the Escape. Many, many horror stories even on the new (07) Escape at the time. Although I like the looks of the new 08 Escape, I'm still uncertain of the transmission reliability. Plus the Escape was a minimum $4K more when we compared apples to apples. So that was enough for us to rule out the Escape.

Some examples of the Escape tranny problem:
#1 @ 12K miles: http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.ee9509b
#2 @ 50K km: http://www.carsurvey.org/viewcomments_review_69384.html
#3 @ 30K miles: http://www.carsurvey.org/viewcomments_review_69384.html
and the list goes on. Just google Ford Escape Transmission. If that doesn't scare you off, I don't know what will :lol: :lol: and I'm a Ford guy. I've driven all Fords from 94 until 07 I bought the Compass last year.
post #9 of 40 Old 07-09-2007, 05:37 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for your replies.

We still leaning towards the new 2008 Escape, and have now kind of ruled out the Compass - although I would rather have the rounded back of the exterior of the compass.

With the Ford Family Pricing, the Escape comes in just over $2-3 more than the Compass - but we feel are getting a way better car overall - expecially for the interior features and new bolded smoother look on the outside.

It is so interesting to read other people's thoughts - so keep them coming.....

The Compass is #2 on on our list and we're still researching both the Escape & Compass - so nothing is completly ruled out yet - a big factor will be the price - and I know the compasses price is a very good deal, but at the same time - the Escape for about $2-3000 more - offers way more things....and a better crash test rating at 5/5 - vrs the Compass with a 4/5. Also the Escape is the #1 best selling SUV in Canada in the last 4-6 years....
post #10 of 40 Old 07-09-2007, 06:06 PM

The Escape doesn't even offer Side Airbags or Curtain Airbags.

Not to mention that Chrysler may be increasing it's warranty coverage for the 2008 models.

post #11 of 40 Old 07-09-2007, 06:21 PM Thread Starter

I am sure there are some other links out there - to tell you about the Escape's interior and exterior features...but speaking of side-air bags - this is what I found:

1) - I don't know about previous models of Escapes - But the 2008 Escape - under Ford.ca - says this:

All 6 airbags now standard - The dual front airbags in our Personal Safety System® are now joined by front-seat side airbags and the side-curtain airbags of our Safety CanopyTM System as standard equipment on every Escape.

http://ford.ca/main/default.asp?lang...s&model=Escape

2) - In addition to the aforementioned side-curtain airbags (front and rear), all Escapes include standard front-seat-mounted side airbags and Ford's Personal safety System, which includes "smart" frontal airbags.

http://news.en.autos.sympatico.msn.c...mentid=4914554

3) - 2008 Ford Escape is new inside and out with more standard safety features, including Safety Canopy™ side curtain air bags. AdvanceTrac® with RSC® – Ford Motor Company's exclusive roll-stability control system – is now standard on gas models.

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/01/26/2...utgoing-model/
post #12 of 40 Old 07-09-2007, 11:06 PM
kwc

one thing for sure ... the Compass will do better with the gas mileage than a comparable Escape. One of my co-workers has a stripped Escape (2007 model) with a 4 cyl 5 speed ... and she gets 27 mpg. and that's front wheel drive. My neighbor has a 2005 model with a V6 and auto, and he gets 24 tops, and that's really taking it easy on the highway. My 4x4 Compass with CVT has been averaging a little over 26 mpg with mixed driving (in town and highway). My co-worker's 4 cyl Escape doesn't have much power at all either.
post #13 of 40 Old 07-10-2007, 05:31 PM

Quote:
I am sure there are some other links out there - to tell you about the Escape's interior and exterior features...but speaking of side-air bags - this is what I found:

1) - I don't know about previous models of Escapes - But the 2008 Escape - under Ford.ca - says this:

All 6 airbags now standard - The dual front airbags in our Personal Safety System® are now joined by front-seat side airbags and the side-curtain airbags of our Safety CanopyTM System as standard equipment on every Escape.

http://ford.ca/main/default.asp?lang...s&model=Escape

2) - In addition to the aforementioned side-curtain airbags (front and rear), all Escapes include standard front-seat-mounted side airbags and Ford's Personal safety System, which includes "smart" frontal airbags.

http://news.en.autos.sympatico.msn.c...mentid=4914554

3) - 2008 Ford Escape is new inside and out with more standard safety features, including Safety Canopy™ side curtain air bags. AdvanceTrac® with RSC® – Ford Motor Company's exclusive roll-stability control system – is now standard on gas models.

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/01/26/2...utgoing-model/
http://driving.canada.com/research/comp ... 1072902801

I guess one of these sites is wrong then.

post #14 of 40 Old 07-10-2007, 05:55 PM Thread Starter

Yes - thank you Neely2005.

I also noticed that from driving.com- and it is very strange.... Because under 2008 Escape XLT - I4 - All 6 airbags are included....

I wonder who we can contact to advise driving.ca to up date their information?

Researching the 2007 Ford Escape - I'm not sure - but it doesn't appear that side curtain airbags are a standard feature on the 2007 models.
2008 they are standard features.

Canadian Driver - also mentiones 2008 Ford Escape, has a safety canopy feautre - as a standard feature/equipment where by side curtain airbags and other airbags are included.

http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/pw/08escape.htm
post #15 of 40 Old 07-10-2007, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwc
one thing for sure ... the Compass will do better with the gas mileage than a comparable Escape. One of my co-workers has a stripped Escape (2007 model) with a 4 cyl 5 speed ... and she gets 27 mpg. and that's front wheel drive. My neighbor has a 2005 model with a V6 and auto, and he gets 24 tops, and that's really taking it easy on the highway. My 4x4 Compass with CVT has been averaging a little over 26 mpg with mixed driving (in town and highway). My co-worker's 4 cyl Escape doesn't have much power at all either.
Good Point. Compared to the Compass the 4 Cylinder Escape is Slow & Thirsty. It has less power and weighs more and has a less efficent engine.

Even the V6 doesn't put out that much more power:

http://driving.canada.com/research/comp ... 1081801304

Looking at the above link the Compass beats the Escape in pretty much every category. It costs less, has more power, better mileage, disc brakes on front and rear, heated leather seats, more airbags, stability control... about the only thing that Might be better is the Look of the interior but the Compass / Caliber R/T & Patriot beat the Escape in pretty much every way possible.

Compass are you looking for a 2 Wheel Drive or a 4 Wheel Drive?

post #16 of 40 Old 07-11-2007, 01:25 AM

Personally, I wasn't even in the market for a new vehicle, but I just fell in love with the Compass, the more I learned about it, the more I liked. I wouldn't have bought any other vehicle.

The gas consumption is pretty impressive and I haven't even broken in the engine yet. I'm getting 10L/100km and that is being stuck in major traffic every day. The power is pretty good for a 4 cylinder, except with the AC on :P But it's still good.

When I test drove the Compass the first time, the beige interior & base model threw me off and looked cheap for some reason, but in the darker colour, it's not so bad, check them both out for a good comparison, I don't mind the interior at all anymore, I got the limited so the leather heated seats are very nice for the price!

The exterior beats the Escape hands down!!!! I love the look of the Compass. To me, the 2008 Escape looks outdated. I would test drive them both if you haven't already to get a better comparison, I LOVE the way the Compass drives!

But you will definitely be saving money with the Compass, as well as in gas, and it's a very safe vehicle with the 4x4 in winter driving, and has many other safety features that I"m sure you're aware of.

Good luck
post #17 of 40 Old 07-11-2007, 10:50 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcatenacci
The exterior beats the Escape hands down!!!! I love the look of the Compass. To me, the 2008 Escape looks outdated. I would test drive them both if you haven't already to get a better comparison, I LOVE the way the Compass drives!
Good luck

DITTO :!:

Loved
my 2007 Compass 5-Speed, Limited!

{BUT NOW SOOO IN LOVE WITH MY NEW CRUSH WRANGLER!}
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-[OIIIIIIO]-

"No man should go through life without once experiencing healthy, even bored solitude in the wilderness, finding himself depending solely on himself and thereby learning his true and hidden strength."
~Jack Kerouac

“Everybody must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing.”
-Henry David Thoreau

post #18 of 40 Old 07-12-2007, 12:42 AM Thread Starter

Neely2005 i am looking at a I-4 - 4 cylinder in the 2008 Ford Escape,
And when you say the Compass beats the Escape almost on every category - it only has a 4/5 crash test rating vrs the 2008 Escape which has a 5/5.

I agree with everyone when they say the Compasses Exterior - rounded back is much more appealing - vrs the square boxy back of the Escape. Here as well, the Compass doesn't offer a lift-gate back - where as the Escape has the glass part on the back which can be raised as well as the full trunk back = a bonus feature.

The compass although a lot less in price - in my case I figured it out again, it actually is $3000-$3500 less - doesn't have extra features like cruise control - although I won't soley rest $3500 just on that. Overall the 2008 Escape - for all the extra interior features seems like a way better car.

This forum is really good and I must admit at first I was completly sold on the Compass - I really loved it - but then after looking at both a 2007 and 2008 Ford Escape and then looking at the Compass again - the Escape seems so much better -especially if you take into account the interior of the Compass - to me it looked rather cheap inside - vrs the 2008 Escape - more upmarket....

Yes, test driving is definately a factor and I've already test driven both models/years - of the Compass and the Escape. The Compass had blind spots (I felt) in the back - and vrs to the Escape - had better visability.

Although the 4 Cylinder for the Escape (In the brochure) says it gets only 153 HP - vrs my 1997 Dodge Neon - I'm already sold on the Escape. But I think the Compass gets 173 HP....
post #19 of 40 Old 07-12-2007, 03:45 AM

Yes the Compass gets 172 HP... I noticed the blind spots too during the test drive, but after only 2 weeks of driving, now I am used to them and when you position the mirrors properly, they're not bad at all. Have you checked out a Limited Compass?? Mine has everything and I managed to get $3000 off the price so take that into account too. My Limited has cruise control, steering wheel audio controls, and all the bells and whistles. Like I said, with the darker colour interior (pastel slate grey), it doesn't look bad at all! The Compass is still very safe, it has tons of other safety features that can prevent you from getting into an accident, especially in snow, I feel 4x4 is a must in Canada...

Good luck with the decision![/code]
post #20 of 40 Old 07-12-2007, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Neely2005 i am looking at a I-4 - 4 cylinder in the 2008 Ford Escape,
And when you say the Compass beats the Escape almost on every category - it only has a 4/5 crash test rating vrs the 2008 Escape which has a 5/5.

I agree with everyone when they say the Compasses Exterior - rounded back is much more appealing - vrs the square boxy back of the Escape. Here as well, the Compass doesn't offer a lift-gate back - where as the Escape has the glass part on the back which can be raised as well as the full trunk back = a bonus feature.

The compass although a lot less in price - in my case I figured it out again, it actually is $3000-$3500 less - doesn't have extra features like cruise control - although I won't soley rest $3500 just on that. Overall the 2008 Escape - for all the extra interior features seems like a way better car.

This forum is really good and I must admit at first I was completly sold on the Compass - I really loved it - but then after looking at both a 2007 and 2008 Ford Escape and then looking at the Compass again - the Escape seems so much better -especially if you take into account the interior of the Compass - to me it looked rather cheap inside - vrs the 2008 Escape - more upmarket....

Yes, test driving is definately a factor and I've already test driven both models/years - of the Compass and the Escape. The Compass had blind spots (I felt) in the back - and vrs to the Escape - had better visability.

Although the 4 Cylinder for the Escape (In the brochure) says it gets only 153 HP - vrs my 1997 Dodge Neon - I'm already sold on the Escape. But I think the Compass gets 173 HP....
2 Wheel Drive or 4 Wheel Drive?
XLT I4 or XLS I4?

That's why I said "almost". The Escape has slightly better crash test ratings and a better interior. The Compass is better in pretty much every other category. BTW: The Dodge Caliber also has 5/5 crash test ratings and is very similar to the Compass so you might want to check that out too.

Do the front seats fold flat on the Escape like they do on the Compass?

What extra interior features are you referring too on the Escape? Pop Out Dome Light Flashlight? Sliding Cell Phone Holder / iPod holder Arm Rest / iPod jack on the radio??? Which trim level of Compass are you comparing with? Sport, North or Limited?

The interior on the Compass is okay. I wouldn't call it cheap. But if you get a Compas Limited with the Leather it looks much better.

Yeah the Escape has a little more power thatn your 1997 Neon (132 Vs. 153) but it also weighs about twice as much as your Neon.
People were complaing that the Compass is underpowered and it has more power and weighs less than an Escape.

Check out this Link and Scroll Down to see the differences:

http://driving.canada.com/research/comp ... 1081801301

post #21 of 40 Old 07-12-2007, 04:59 PM

Well put Neely!!!!

I would not go with FWD... for the same price in a Compass, u can get 4x4 so I'd rather have 4/5 crash test rating with 4x4 Compass, rather than 5/5 with FWD Escape. The 4x4 will make a huge difference in snow/icy road conditions.

I was checking out the Ford Escape, it is a nice vehicle for the price, but the Compass is still a MUCH better value! I don't see the interior being that much nicer on the Escape, in the pics on their website, sure because they're showing only interior pictures with NAV, which is $3000!!! You'll be getting better power AND gas mileage and for the price, u can get a lot of extras in the Compass for what u would be paying for a base Escape.

Don't rush into anything until you compare closely and perhaps going on another test drive... there won't be as much room for bargaining with the Escape because of that special pricing, but with the Jeep, I know u can bargain.
post #22 of 40 Old 07-12-2007, 05:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
XLT I4 or XLS I4?

That's why I said "almost". The Escape has slightly better crash test ratings and a better interior. The Compass is better in pretty much every other category. BTW: The Dodge Caliber also has 5/5 crash test ratings and is very similar to the Compass so you might want to check that out too.

What extra interior features are you referring too on the Escape? Pop Out Dome Light Flashlight? Sliding Cell Phone Holder / iPod holder Arm Rest / iPod jack on the radio??? Which trim level of Compass are you comparing with? Sport, North or Limited?

The interior on the Compass is okay. I wouldn't call it cheap. But if you get a Compas Limited with the Leather it looks much better.

Yeah the Escape has a little more power thatn your 1997 Neon (132 Vs. 153) but it also weighs about twice as much as your Neon.
People were complaing that the Compass is underpowered and it has more power and weighs less than an Escape.

Hi There

2008 Ford Escape XLT I-4 - 4 cylinder 4X2 FWD - I'm comparing it to both the 2007 Dodge Caliber (not the basic one - next one up) and 2007 Jeep Compass North 4X2 FWD.

For features of what the Escape has - check out this link:
http://www.wheels.ca/newVehicles/profile/13066

Yes passenger seat folds down like a table in the Escape, which is great if you want to work on your laptop - which also plugs into a 115v plug under the dash.

Actually I'm rather put out - I loved the mini fridge in the Caliber and the portable flashlight in both the Caliber and Compass - but these probably are not things to make a sale (not in my case anyways) - as I'm sure you could pick up a small mini fridge for cars from Canadian Tire - and if I end up with the Escape - I might just do that. Then carry a flashlight for emergencies in the glove box!

The first car I had my heart set on was actually the Dodge Caliber, and I test drove it - but along with the Compass it has a real undermarket feel inside - or on a lower end - the dash looked plasticky and the sides didn't do anything for me either, and had blind spots in both the back sides when driving - althougth yes the 5/5 crash test rating and the price - was a awesome deal. It also offered a Graduate program (less $500) and the Goverment Fuel Rebate (less $1000) which the Compass had as well; but the Escape - only the Hybrid models have the Fuel Rebate; although I qualify for the graduate program - graduating in the last 4 years.

When we began my search - the first car I fell in love with was the Dodge Caliber - I loved the look on the outside - but the inside didn't do anything for me! Then we tried to Compass North and I loved the CUV look on the outside - but after looking at the 2008 Escape and test driving both vehicles - the Escape looked way nicer inside and overall is a better build car. After having lived in Alberta - for snow and icy conditions - the Escape would offer more stability and traction control - even on a 4X2 FWD model - I-4 cylinder.

The only thing about the Escape is I would much rather have the CUV look - but then you need to go futhur up the scale $$ wise and get the 2007 Ford Edge - which for my budget is too much.....

Power vrs my 1997 Dodge Neon - isn't a really big thing for me - or the size of the vehicle - because I won't be towing - and need extra space for the cargo capacity. Looks inside is more upper market on the Escape and the center dash and center console is a bonus for me. A mini fridge you can buy.

I wonder if there a Ford Escape forum?

There would be many things people like about the Compass and the Caliber and many on the Escape - I guess it is just is a matter of personal preferance if price isn't a large factor, at only $3000 more than the Compass - but the $3000 makes up for the extra features and 5/5 crash test rating that the Compass doesn't have. Also on the North model - the Compass was only a 5 speed manual vrs the Escape a 4 speed automatic - after driving a 5 speed manual for some time - this is really nice for me!

The Escape, for what I feel is a way better car, especially a 5/5 crash test rating - and the best selling SUV in Canada in the last 6 years!

But after saying all this - I'm leaning towards the Escape more and more and still thinking about it!
post #23 of 40 Old 07-12-2007, 05:30 PM

I'm just curious as to why you're opting out of the 4x4, but are so concerned about the crash test rating? I'm not so sure that the Ford Escape would have better traction and stability control? The Compass has those as well. The Compass also has the outlet for a laptop etc (I think with the North pkg)...

The grad rebate, I did as well and got $500 off. The government eco $1000 rebate only applies if you get a manual 2.4L compass or the 2.0L. Not sure if you're looking into getting automatic or stick.

I never even knew the Escape was the best selling SUV... I barely see them on the road... the Compass is all new though, and it's selling very well.

I liked the Caliber as well, but I wanted the SUV look. I also prefer the Compass because it's somewhat still small and easy to park and drive around the city. I wonder why the Caliber has 5/5 crash test rating and not the Compass?

I guess the interior is a little plasticky, that was my biggest pet peeve at first, but it's not so bad with my nice seats. I was also considering a new Mitsubishi Outlander, but I didn't like the back of it. It has a good warranty... not to confuse you though LOL.

So what extra features are u getting in the Escape that you wouldn't get on a North Compass for the $3000?
post #24 of 40 Old 07-12-2007, 05:36 PM

also, the Compass has bigger wheels LOL... 17" standard.. or 18" with the Limited!
post #25 of 40 Old 07-13-2007, 01:53 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcatenacci
I would not go with FWD... for the same price in a Compass, u can get 4x4 so I'd rather have 4/5 crash test rating with 4x4 Compass, rather than 5/5 with FWD Escape. The 4x4 will make a huge difference in snow/icy road conditions.
Your really have got to listen to mcatenacci, very well said!

Loved
my 2007 Compass 5-Speed, Limited!

{BUT NOW SOOO IN LOVE WITH MY NEW CRUSH WRANGLER!}
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-[OIIIIIIO]-

"No man should go through life without once experiencing healthy, even bored solitude in the wilderness, finding himself depending solely on himself and thereby learning his true and hidden strength."
~Jack Kerouac

“Everybody must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing.”
-Henry David Thoreau

post #26 of 40 Old 07-13-2007, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Quote:
XLT I4 or XLS I4?

Hi There

2008 Ford Escape XLT I-4 - 4 cylinder 4X2 FWD - I'm comparing it to both the 2007 Dodge Caliber (not the basic one - next one up) and 2007 Jeep Compass North 4X2 FWD.

For features of what the Escape has - check out this link:
http://www.wheels.ca/newVehicles/profile/13066

Yes passenger seat folds down like a table in the Escape, which is great if you want to work on your laptop - which also plugs into a 115v plug under the dash.

Actually I'm rather put out - I loved the mini fridge in the Caliber and the portable flashlight in both the Caliber and Compass - but these probably are not things to make a sale (not in my case anyways) - as I'm sure you could pick up a small mini fridge for cars from Canadian Tire - and if I end up with the Escape - I might just do that. Then carry a flashlight for emergencies in the glove box!

The first car I had my heart set on was actually the Dodge Caliber, and I test drove it - but along with the Compass it has a real undermarket feel inside - or on a lower end - the dash looked plasticky and the sides didn't do anything for me either, and had blind spots in both the back sides when driving - althougth yes the 5/5 crash test rating and the price - was a awesome deal. It also offered a Graduate program (less $500) and the Goverment Fuel Rebate (less $1000) which the Compass had as well; but the Escape - only the Hybrid models have the Fuel Rebate; although I qualify for the graduate program - graduating in the last 4 years.

When we began my search - the first car I fell in love with was the Dodge Caliber - I loved the look on the outside - but the inside didn't do anything for me! Then we tried to Compass North and I loved the CUV look on the outside - but after looking at the 2008 Escape and test driving both vehicles - the Escape looked way nicer inside and overall is a better build car. After having lived in Alberta - for snow and icy conditions - the Escape would offer more stability and traction control - even on a 4X2 FWD model - I-4 cylinder.

The only thing about the Escape is I would much rather have the CUV look - but then you need to go futhur up the scale $$ wise and get the 2007 Ford Edge - which for my budget is too much.....

Power vrs my 1997 Dodge Neon - isn't a really big thing for me - or the size of the vehicle - because I won't be towing - and need extra space for the cargo capacity. Looks inside is more upper market on the Escape and the center dash and center console is a bonus for me. A mini fridge you can buy.

I wonder if there a Ford Escape forum?

There would be many things people like about the Compass and the Caliber and many on the Escape - I guess it is just is a matter of personal preferance if price isn't a large factor, at only $3000 more than the Compass - but the $3000 makes up for the extra features and 5/5 crash test rating that the Compass doesn't have. Also on the North model - the Compass was only a 5 speed manual vrs the Escape a 4 speed automatic - after driving a 5 speed manual for some time - this is really nice for me!

The Escape, for what I feel is a way better car, especially a 5/5 crash test rating - and the best selling SUV in Canada in the last 6 years!

But after saying all this - I'm leaning towards the Escape more and more and still thinking about it!
Okay here is the Comparison for those vehicles:

http://driving.canada.com/research/comp ... 1072902902

You keep saying the Escape costs more but it has more features but everywhere I look the Escape costs more and has LESS features.

What features are you referring to???

:

As to the power not being an issue because you're not towing. I'm not sure you'll be saying that when you have to pass someone or merge onto the highway...

Oh & BTW you can get an Automatic Transmission on the Compass and it will still be cheaper than an Escape. A lot cheaper.

post #27 of 40 Old 07-13-2007, 06:27 PM

Yeah honestly I priced them both out with similar options and the Limited Compass 4x4 came out to cheaper and has way more options and 18" wheels!!!! Plus we all agree the Compass is a much nicer looking vehicle

Everyone has their own preferences though, some people just can't get over the plastic look of the interior, it bugged me too, but with my leather 2 tone seats, I dont mind!

Personally, I dont like the interior of the escape without navigation either, the mitsubishi outlander has the best interior for the price... but it is a Jeep after all, so its not gonna look all luxurious inside. I think its cool how the gauges look like a compass It lights up pretty nice inside too.

I'm loving my Compass more and more each day! Yesterday I accidentally rolled over a curb, and nothing happened to it!!!!!! I was so scared, and then happy that it was fine, if that was my mazda omg...
post #28 of 40 Old 07-14-2007, 03:48 PM Thread Starter

Ford Escape 2008 XLT - I-4 FWD / Standard Features

The most popular Escape getaway vehicle and best selling SUV in 6 years in a row. 5/5 crash test rating, etc.

Listed below are a few of the key 2008 Escape XLT I-4 FWD 4X2 Standard Features:

Bold new exterior styling and upscale interior
FWD (Front-Wheel Drive) or available Intelligent 4WD System
Duratec 23 2.3L I4 engine with 4-speed automatic transmission
AdvanceTrac® with RSC® (Roll Stability Control)
4-wheel anti-lock brakes
Safety Canopy™ System and front-seat side airbags
Auto headlamps
AM/FM/MP3 stereo with CD player and audio input jack
II5v power supply
Flow-through center console, storage bin with removable trays and space for purse or two laptops
Low-back front bucket seats and 60/40 split rear seats with eco-friendly cloth fabric
6-way power driver seat
Power windows, locks and outside mirrors
Cruise control and tilt steering wheel
Privacy glass - solar glass panelling - on every window except front
Crome Roof rack without crossbars
Fog lamps
16" aluminum wheels
Air Conditioning
Lift gate / rear wipper blade
Premium grade leather faced Bucket seats/60/40 split back seats
I think approx 600-850c square feet of cargo capacity

The following features are optional equipment to consider:
Intelligent 4WD System
Duratec 30 3.0L V6 engine
320-watt Audiophile Sound System with 6-disc CD changer and 7 speakers
Navigation System: DVD mapping with Global Positioning System (GPS) technology, 6.5” color LCD screen with high-quality graphics, voice guidance feature, touch-screen convenience, and Audiophile Sound System
Power moonroof
SIRIUS® satellite radio with complimentary 6-month subscription
Cargo Package: retractable rear cargo area cover, lockable hidden wet trunk, roof rack with crossbars
Leather Comfort Package: leather-trimmed seats and leather-wrapped steering wheel
Sun & Satellite National Value Package: moonroof and SIRIUS® satellite radio with national discount and complimentary 12-month subscription
Integrated side step bars

I also thought I'd add the Convience package - for another $395- canadian extra, and a Full Size Spare Tire at $150. This includes electric mirror / message centre / compass / outdoor temperature / visors / automatic & electric rear view mirror etc.

Above are just a few of the standard features on a Escape, I don't believe this list includes them all.

Although the following - is the USA based Ford site - it will give you a 'visual' look into the '08 Escapes.
http://www.fordvehicles.com/suvs/esc...dex.asp?v=html

The Canadian Site: http://www.ford.ca/main/default.asp?...s&model=Escape

I would agree that many people would prefer a Jeep Compass over a Escape, and it would then be a matter of personal preferance. To me, it just seems that the Escape has been around longer, comes from a well rounded Ford Company (Henry Ford) and offers a better overal package. But having said that, the price is more than a Compass - North Model 4X2 FWD.

I still like the Escapes - but at first was completely sold on the Compass. I love the way the Compasses exterior looks - taking into a lot of 'extra's - the Escape - seems a way better deal.....

It's not until the Limited Package in the Compass - that some (not all) of these features above are included.
post #29 of 40 Old 07-15-2007, 03:56 PM

I'm still not sure what "extras" you're talking about. That list doesn't show anything the Compass doesn't have except for power seats...

The Ford Escape is probably the best selling vehicle because it's one of the cheaest SUV's you can find. Price sometimes sells vehicles.

Anyways good luck with your decision... I would still go for a Limited 4x4 Compass for that price you'll be paying
post #30 of 40 Old 07-15-2007, 05:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
The Ford Escape is probably the best selling vehicle because it's one of the cheaest SUV's you can find. Price sometimes sells vehicles.
I dissagree with that - that the Escape is the cheapes SUV you can find....actually in my calculations the Jeep Compass North or Limited model still works out a lot less that the 2008 Escape I-4 4X2 FWD.

The "extra" features I'm talking about are here. It's true to say that some of these 'extra's' included in a Compass - but it's not until you get to the Limited Model that you get these.... North to Limited - your paying extra $$'s anyway to get these 'extra's'. I personally was looking at just the North Package.

Here's are just some of the extra features in a Escape:
A top-of-the-dash display, for example, puts much of the vehicle's information at eye level, making it easier to reference when driving. In addition, the Escape features the first use of Ford's signature Ice Blue interior lighting, which presents a cool, crisp, easy-on-the-eyes light for night driving. The center console is large enough to hold a laptop computer and has two removable bins that can be hung from the front passenger side or rear of the console to create unique storage options.

- 6 way power driver seat
- MP3 player
- Cruise control
- 115v plug
- centre console - big enough for 2 laptop computers & removable
storage containters or bins
- Message Centre
- wet trunk and hidden cargo area in back
- compass
- auto dimming mirror
- 5/5 crash test rating
- best selling SUV 6 years in a row
- Built for Life in Canada!
- RSC
- heated side view mirrors
- up to 50% quiter than most SUV's or CUV's

Key standard features include:

Bold new exterior styling
All safety features are now standard, including: Safety Canopy™ side air curtains; side-impact air bags; ABS; Tire Pressure Monitor System (TPMS); and Ford's exclusive AdvanceTrac ® with RSC ® (on gas models)
2.3-liter, 16-valve Duratec 23 I-4 engine (153 hp, 152 lb.-ft torque), paired with a five-speed manual transmission
Front-wheel drive
New steering, upgraded with a s peed-sensitive Electric Power Assisted Steering (EPAS) system
All-new interior with new materials
New second-row 60/40 split fold-flat seats
New MP3 audio input jack
New front storage bin with power point and room for laptop storage
New 16-inch wheels

Key available options include:

3.0-liter, 24-valve V-6 Duratec 30 V-6 engine (200 hp, 193 lb.-ft. torque) or 2.3-liter DOHC 16-valve Atkinson cycle I-4 engine and 330V Nickel-Metal Hydride battery
4-speed automatic transmission
Intelligent 4WD system
New SIRIUS™ satellite radio
Audiophile sound system with AM/FM, CDX6, seven speakers and subwoofer
DVD-based Navigation system with AM/FM, CDX6, seven speakers and subwoofer (new option for gas models)
New leather trimmed seats with 6-way power driver's seat
Moonroof
New 17-inch wheels
New Limited Luxury Package includes: Dual Electronic Automatic Temperature Control; driver and front passenger heated seats; heated side view mirrors; reverse sensing; steering wheel audio switches
Class II Trailer Towing (for up to 3,500 lbs. maximum towing capacity)
Chrome Appearance Package

Compass takes a wrong direction - article here http://info.detnews.com/autosconsume...x.cfm?id=22802

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in