Firestone Tires - Good? - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 9 Old 01-06-2016, 11:19 PM Thread Starter

Firestone Tires - Good?

With a recent move to the mountains, my home and commute is now at elevations from 1400 to 2000 feet with occasional snow, ice, and rain. It was time for a tire upgrade from AT tires to a winter-tread tire.

So after 55,000 miles on my BF Goodrich Advantage tires, I pulled the trigger and bought some Firestone Winterforce tires. They are running $90 per tire right now on TireRack.com and couldn't pass up the price.

Generally these tires seem to get very good reviews over the internet....with occasional comments about minor highway noise.

My question: has anyone on this Forum had experience with these?

They will be installed tomorrow, and I'm looking forward to them.

EM

Last edited by ensoniqman; 01-06-2016 at 11:35 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-06-2016, 11:47 PM

I'd go with "altimax arctic winter tires" for very good low cost winter tires. I am using a well rated non winter this year from them and see how they work out.

Personally I don't like Firestone but thats me I guess. I have my reasons.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 Old 01-07-2016, 12:24 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
LT225/75/16 Goodyear Wrangler Territory Load Range E tires Stock 16” Steel Wheels (16x6.5)

Spacers Need = No
Lift Needed = No
Pinch Weld = No
Weight = 60lbs

Ran these on my 2008 FDII Patriot, (no lift)

Also ran them on my 2012 FDII Compass back when it was stock (no lift)

This particular combination was heavy (about 60lbs per wheel). There was slight rubbing at full lock on both sides, as well as backing up. The 225/75/16 is a bit over 29” and providing you avoid the LT sizes some tires can be found that don’t weight a lot. In my case while the offroad performance was way better than stock (aggressive tire) it really sucked the power away and I found myself really bogged down quite frequently while offroad.

225/75/16 Gislaved Nord Frost 5 Dedicated Winter Tires Stock Steel Wheels(16x6.5) (no lift)

Spacers Needed = No
Lift Needed = No
Pinch Weld = No
Weight = 53lbs

Don’t have any good pictures of these tires on my Compass. I ran these for one winter after I sold the above tires, they were P225/75/16 and did not rub at all, most likely due to the non aggressive tread design. I"m inclinded to believe non aggressive tires in this size won't rub as bad as the AT designs They were lightweight and were great in the snow, but not deep snow.

225/55/18 Hankook Dynapro H727 on Compass 18”(18x7) Chrome Wheels )No lift)

Lift Needed = No
Spacers Needed = No
Weight = Unsure of wheel, tire was 28lbs
Pinch Weld = No

Ran these for the last summer before I got rid of my Patriot. Zero rubbing and very lightweight tires. As a summer tire they were great, did have them in the snow once and they weren't terrible.

225/60/18 Falcon Sincera SN211 on Caliber R/T 18” Chrome Wheels (18x7) (No lift)

Lift Needed = No
Spacers Needed = No
Weight = unsure of wheels tires were 29lbs
Pinch Weld = No

Can’t even remember why I bought this combination but whatever, it was lightweight and in this size ( a bit over the 28” stock) on my FDII Compass there was no rubbing. I remember getting caught in some freezing rain with these tires and surprisingly I did quite well considering they were only all seasons.

235/65/17 Cooper AT3 Stock 17” Wheels (17x6.5”) No lift & Lifted
No lift

Lifted

Lift Needed = Wasn't on my FDII, once lifted even less rubbing than before

Spacers Needed = Without lift Spacers will make it so you don't have any rubbing, should you lift you require spacers(My FDII did)

Weight = 52lbs
Pinch Weld = No

I ran these tires on stock wheels before my lift and after. Before my lift there was slight rubbing and after the lift just a wee bit of rubbing, however the rear required spacers for the tires to clear the springs in the back. Once the spacers were on zero rubbing in this size. Tire weight was 34lbs (vs 28lbs of stock) no adverse affects on or offroad. Really impressed with their snow performance and onroad manners (quiet)

245/65/17 Firestone Destination At with stock 17” wheels with Lift and Spacers

Lift Required = Yes
Spacers Required = Yes 1.25"
Pinch Weld = Yes

I got a super good deal on these take offs from my friends Cherokee Trailhawk. I was lifted with these on and running 1.25” spacers, basically the only way you’ll be able to run this size as clearance is super tight I didn’t have any rubbing but it was awful close. You’ll need to do the pinch weld for this size. For a large tire (29.5”) they were light weight (34lbs) did well offroad and really good in the snow. They were also very quiet.

245/55/19 on 19” Caliber SRT4 Wheels (19x7)

Lift = Yes
Spacers = Yes 1.25"
Pinch Weld = Yes
Weight = 59lbs
Found these for a good deal and couldn’t pass them up, got them as a summer set. This size is a bit bigger than 245/65/17 so I had some rubbing even lifted with 1.25” spacers, But I think it kinda looks good on my compass. Tires are lightweight (32lbs) however the wheels are quite heavy at 27lbs each

235/75/15 Wrangler Territory On MB Chaos 5 Wheels (15x7) Lifted No Spacers

Lift = No (my opinion)
Pinch Weld = No (My Opinion)
Weight = 52lbs

These are super lightweight (17lbs per wheels) and the tires are 35lbs each. Haven’t had them on for long but compared to my 19” set they make my compass feel lighter on it’s feet. Haven’t taken them offroad, but if they are anything like the previous set they will be great just a lot lighter. These are a bit smaller than the AT3's I run prior to being lifted and doing the pinch weld, so for someone wanting an aggressive tire without wanting a lift I can't see it being an issue, overall diameter is a bit short of 29" but take what I say with a grain of salt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 Red FDII Jeep Compass Limited
235/75/15 Wranger Territory AT
WK2 Headlight Swap
Magnaflow Muffler

Full Interior LED's + Front/Rear Signal & Backup LEDS

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 01-07-2016, 12:59 AM

At 50,000 miles I still have the original Firestone Affinity 17 inch tires, but they are beginning to wear and it gets a little squirrely in heavy rain. Anyone have experience with other brands? I don't take it off-road much (it's only FWD) and the Firestones seem noisy. We get some snow and heavy rain; also run some gravel and dirt roads, but mostly highway travel Thanks for any info.
post #5 of 9 Old 01-07-2016, 01:03 AM Thread Starter

I like the look of those Wrangler Territory tires...nice and meaty.

My rim size is 17" (Sport package). And I don't use alternate rims/wheels for the seasons. The Compass will stay at home in the mountains as a secondary vehicle for off-road in warm months and then snowy travel in winter....places our Prius can't go
post #6 of 9 Old 01-08-2016, 10:58 PM

So what have you settled on. My Compass tires are on 17 as per my signature and two sizes above stock. It loads the engine noticably but my wife drives it mostly and me on the highways. I like the tires so far and not traction problems this winter over crusty snow and ice coated wet snow. We had a gathering and a BMW got stuck on the flat lawn which had some snow on it but knowone else did only the BMW car (didn't look like it had snows on it. LOL

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

post #7 of 9 Old 01-08-2016, 11:55 PM Thread Starter

Bought Firestone Winterforce in size P215/65R17 . See photos.

Has a little taller ride, good grip. And no wheel well rubbing. A little more noise than the BF Goodrich.....but bearable:

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1Q...dJDIoV-0JjLoW8

and

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1Q...BCXHqsLpTdShcn

EM
post #8 of 9 Old 01-12-2016, 04:33 PM Thread Starter

Happy to report the tires did pretty well. Drove through the Cabelas parking lot with snow and ice. Once they packed themselves in tread with snow, they handled good.
post #9 of 9 Old 01-22-2016, 11:06 AM

Nice to know that Winterforce works for you. The Blizzaks are good winter tires also and not so pricey.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in