Wheels rusted onto hubs... stuck! - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 13 Old 03-08-2016, 09:30 PM Thread Starter

Wheels rusted onto hubs... stuck!

I went to rotate the tires today for the first time. The Jeep has 6368 miles on it. Its never been in water but has seen three snows and some slush. After I removed the lug nuts I had to kick the hell out of the tires to get the rims to break loose from the hubs. The center of the wheel behind the cap was full of thick rust putty water crap on all four wheels. It looked like they held the water so it could soak the wheel bearings in salt water. The aluminum wheels were heavily pitted in the center area and the rotor/hubs were heavily rusted. Has anybody else had this problem?

2015 Jeep Compass Latitude 4x4
2.4, 6 spd auto, high altitude package

Elkhorn, Nebraska, USA

2014 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 Z71
2009 Impala
1986 Corvette
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 03-09-2016, 12:57 AM

Yes, I also had a similar experience on my 2014.. The bolt for the wheel bearing was rusted to **** after 1 year of owning it.. The problem is that the stock wheel locks water in there.. It's quite annoying I agree
post #3 of 13 Old 03-09-2016, 01:48 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Same problem with my 2012, rubber hammer gets them off, just something I've learned to deal with

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 Red FDII Jeep Compass Limited
235/75/15 Wranger Territory AT
WK2 Headlight Swap
Magnaflow Muffler

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Full Interior LED's + Front/Rear Signal & Backup LEDS

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 03-09-2016, 10:58 AM

Usually you can punch the tire with your palm to get it off too lol... but that'll usually result in pain
post #5 of 13 Old 03-09-2016, 02:38 PM Thread Starter

I had to kick the tires as hard as I could for a while to get them off. I worry about the water stored in there submerging and damaging the bearings. Like boat trailer bearings that get dipped in water every couple weeks makes for some short term bearing life and on road meltdowns. I may silicone the center caps on too see if that helps. Geez, what if somebody actually took their Jeep in water up to the center caps? I thought Jeeps were designed for minimal off road excursions? A design that holds water in the bearings is a bad design!

2015 Jeep Compass Latitude 4x4
2.4, 6 spd auto, high altitude package

Elkhorn, Nebraska, USA

2014 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 Z71
2009 Impala
1986 Corvette
post #6 of 13 Old 03-09-2016, 10:24 PM

I guess it depends on how tight the wheel is on the hub.. Creates a nice pocket to hold moisture... I agree that it's a poor design..
post #7 of 13 Old 03-10-2016, 12:39 PM

I haven't had that happen my rims but they are likely different than your builds being new. No rims should hold water. If it freezes the force exerted against the bearing could be severe enough to result in an accident with something going wrong at that wheel. Freezing water to ice will move anything.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

post #8 of 13 Old 03-11-2016, 08:37 AM

Glad not having this kind of problem on my '07. That will surely bring more prob in the future.
post #9 of 13 Old 03-17-2016, 11:55 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPD KILS View Post
I went to rotate the tires today for the first time. The Jeep has 6368 miles on it. Its never been in water but has seen three snows and some slush. After I removed the lug nuts I had to kick the hell out of the tires to get the rims to break loose from the hubs. The center of the wheel behind the cap was full of thick rust putty water crap on all four wheels. It looked like they held the water so it could soak the wheel bearings in salt water. The aluminum wheels were heavily pitted in the center area and the rotor/hubs were heavily rusted. Has anybody else had this problem?
2007 Jeep Compass here went to rotate my tires and wheel would not come off I had to take a sledge hammer to remove it. check other wheels they all where stuck on. I lubed the inner hole of the wheel hoping this will help.
The Jeep has 81k miles. There are several other problems with the vehicle, the front struts are worn out, leaking oil. The gas tank when filling keeps shutting off and there is a loud whine when shifting past 2nd gear. Looks like I have my work cut out for me to fix it.

Do you think this vehicle wears out prematurely?
post #10 of 13 Old 03-17-2016, 12:04 PM

Rusting around that center centric hub is normal. If you never take the wheels off you many years then that the main problem and likely you're only doing short drives where they don't get hot enough to dry. I have mine off doing brakes. But the rims aren't steel so there is no welding to it via rust. Cleaning the steel hub with wire brush and a coating of grease would help it come off the next time.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

post #11 of 13 Old 03-25-2016, 01:41 AM

Garage
Dissimilar metals in contact with moisture - had same problem with my BMW, big rubber mallet is the answer.

I put a smear of high tempearture grease on contact points to prevent it - works well.
post #12 of 13 Old 10-12-2016, 06:56 PM

Sebring

I agree it's a dissimilar metals issue. Had the same problem on my 2002 Sebring. I use anti seize compound on the mating surfaces when I put the wheels back on, it seems to help.

If they are really stuck, and you are afraid you will bend the wheel if you whack it any harder, try an old trick: Loosen up the lug nuts just a touch and drive it. Make a few turns, but nothing too high performance. That's what I had to do on my Sebring. Used the same trick several years ago to get the brake drums loose on my 1941 Plymouth...
post #13 of 13 Old 10-15-2016, 03:23 AM

Garage
This is why after I bought my car, I removed the wheels and applied some anti seize compound on the lugs and surrounding areas. It is not only jeep that can have this corrosion problem. Any vehicle exposed to salty water or snow will be affected. Also get a procuct called Mud_X and spray the undercarriage of the vechicle to prevent corrosion and dirt buildup. It is worth the price. Plus it is not expensive.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in