Warranty Questions - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 4 Old 04-11-2016, 02:31 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Warranty Questions

So I have had transmission issues with my 14 Compass from the drop. Had it serviced for the initial problem which was a Input/output transmission bearing at around 27K miles. I had taken it back in at 36K before my full warranty expired after it was making the same noise again and they said "they couldn't identify the noise and therefore couldn't fix it". Now my jeep is screaming while I am driving down the road and the transmission noise is actually louder than the engine RPM's and it sound absolutely horrible. I am going to be taking it in here shortly to have them look at the transmission again because it is still under warranty.
MY real question is with what they are required to to to fix the issue. I don't want them just replacing the bearing because that is the part that is failing in the system and not the issue itself. When I asked them what was wrong last time they had no idea as to why that part was failing. This time when I take it in are they only really required to fix the bearing or can I get them to hopefully figure out the real issue this time around? I am really pissed off by this because it's something that cannot be ignored and I want the issue resolved and not just have another part put in that is going to start failing in a few thousand miles again. If there is anything I can use to support myself going back in there please let me know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 04-11-2016, 03:58 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brettski321 View Post
So I have had transmission issues with my 14 Compass from the drop. Had it serviced for the initial problem which was a Input/output transmission bearing at around 27K miles. I had taken it back in at 36K before my full warranty expired after it was making the same noise again and they said "they couldn't identify the noise and therefore couldn't fix it". Now my jeep is screaming while I am driving down the road and the transmission noise is actually louder than the engine RPM's and it sound absolutely horrible. I am going to be taking it in here shortly to have them look at the transmission again because it is still under warranty.
MY real question is with what they are required to to to fix the issue. I don't want them just replacing the bearing because that is the part that is failing in the system and not the issue itself. When I asked them what was wrong last time they had no idea as to why that part was failing. This time when I take it in are they only really required to fix the bearing or can I get them to hopefully figure out the real issue this time around? I am really pissed off by this because it's something that cannot be ignored and I want the issue resolved and not just have another part put in that is going to start failing in a few thousand miles again. If there is anything I can use to support myself going back in there please let me know.

From what you are saying is that they fixed it and you have proof and they have to guarantee that work and at that time it was under warranty. That is enough just make copies of all the paper work and video tape everything. I would like to see a youtube video of your problem.

The Compass I'm in...

I hear a loud whining in 3rd 4th and 5th gear as if I need to push the clutch in and change the gear again. Is that what is happening to you?

I have a 2007 Jeep Compass 5 speed.

If I was you I would trade it in for a Toyota Rav 4

The Compass I have belongs to my daughter and I'm going to trade it eventually for something that will last.

Good Luck!

Currently massaging a 2007 Jeep Compass.
post #3 of 4 Old 04-11-2016, 09:43 PM Thread Starter

Garage
At first it is a is a sharp rattling noise only audible in 1st and 2nd gear, you can hear the bearing bouncing around at around 2200 RPM. But after it's warmed up to normal operating temperatures it's just a loud whirring noise that is louder than the engine noise while I am driving in every gear. It is even audible while I am in reverse.

Yes my car is a manual. The only reason I haven't traded it in is because I bought the car to be a daily reliable car as it was new and took it on some rod trips. I have 66,000 miles on a 2014 I bought it February. The resale value of this thing would be just garbage. I am entertaining the idea of getting rid of it but I am in school right now and can't have any gaps with not having a vehicle.

I also have the entire list of parts and everything they did from the initial work and while it is still under warranty they never really fixed the issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 04-14-2016, 06:05 AM

I read somewhere a guy having almost the same issue of rattling noise at different speed. His buddy mechanic found out its not his tranny but two broken teeth on his rear diff transferring the noise to his tranny.

Have the other parts be checked for other possible source of noise.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in