Windshield UV Protection From Factory - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 6 Old 06-01-2011, 10:36 PM Thread Starter

Windshield UV Protection From Factory

Hi,

Just wondering, does the 2011 have any factory UV protection. Putting legalities aside for a second, I was thinking about getting the Pinnacle clear UV film/tint/coating done for the windshield.

My car sits outside all day and just bakes in the sun and I have black interior.

Thanks,
"G"

2011 Jeep Compass North Edition
4x4 with CVT Freedom Drive I
Trailer Tow Prep Group
Security and Cargo Convenience Group
North All Seasons Group
5 year 100k Gold Components Coverage (Plan 415)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-09-2011, 03:42 AM

Garage
UV Protection

They do have some UV protection but the effects of the UV is greater in the morning hours between 7 and 12. After that it is the infra red that causes the most trouble. Infra red is the heat energy from the sun. It "cooks" everything slowly but surely. I got a massive crack on the dashboard of my Bimmer for failing to use a sun shade. The compass has a plastic dashboard and if the material is anything like what they use on the Dodge Caravan then you should think about using a sunshade while the car is parked in the sun. Most cars will be damaged by the sun. Paint, dashboard, headlight lenses, bumpers, tires etc.The best way to protect from such damage is a sunshade or car cover. You can use armor-all to protect the plastics to some degree but heat is the real enemy. The windshield film is great for protecting the glass itself. I just got a hit on my windshield causing a 10 inch long crack. Now I have to change the windshield. That's $300 out the window. If only those films did not cost too much. One installer wants $450 to protect my windshield.
post #3 of 6 Old 06-09-2011, 12:50 PM Thread Starter

UV Protection

Okay, I am going to get it done, they want $150.00 so I think it is well worth it then.

I also asked it if helps reduce the glare at night and they indicated it would indeed help a bit.

"G"

Trailer Tow Prep Group
North All Seasons Group
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 06-09-2011, 02:46 PM

Garage
I may be interested in doing that too. I just got a quote to put 30% tint on the front windows and light tint on the factory tinted windows in the back (for additional UV protection and darken them up a bit) for $150 plus tax.

I had 35% on the front windows and 15% on the back of my old Focus and it helped a lot, especially on road trips when you get your arms burned facing the sun! It makes a big difference on the heat you feel through the windows and makes it seem like the AC is colder and more effective too.

I may also see if I can have the left over tint scraps to tint my taillights to "smoke" them out for style...

B~~L~~A~~C~~K~~~~N~~I~~G~~H~~T~~L~~I~~N~~G
May 2011 Jeep Compass of the Month Winner!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 6 Old 06-10-2011, 10:57 AM Thread Starter

I had my front driver and passenger done with the legal 35% (Pinnacle) and I agree with you that the UV protection is very noticeable. I can leave my arm on the door without issue in the direct sun.

I was not concerned about the privacy of tint as much as the UV protection. In my old car, long drives my arm would roast if left too long on the door.

I think the windshield UV clear is Pinnacle which I have been told is very high quality material.

I hope the result is 3 fold, UV reduction on the dash and me, better night time visibility, and finally better visibility in the daytime as the sun is tough on my eyes. I wear glasses when I drive. Damn! Getting old is tough........

"G"

Trailer Tow Prep Group
North All Seasons Group
post #6 of 6 Old 06-10-2011, 01:21 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbridge View Post
I had my front driver and passenger done with the legal 35% (Pinnacle) and I agree with you that the UV protection is very noticeable. I can leave my arm on the door without issue in the direct sun.

I was not concerned about the privacy of tint as much as the UV protection. In my old car, long drives my arm would roast if left too long on the door.

I think the windshield UV clear is Pinnacle which I have been told is very high quality material.

I hope the result is 3 fold, UV reduction on the dash and me, better night time visibility, and finally better visibility in the daytime as the sun is tough on my eyes. I wear glasses when I drive. Damn! Getting old is tough........

"G"
I have to wear glasses all the time when I drive. I have very sensitive eyes regarding sunlight. My eyes water and everything gets hazy so I cannot see a thing if I don't have glasses.

+1 for UV protection!

May 2011 Jeep Compass of the Month Winner!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in