New jeep owner questions - Jeep Compass Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By tripplec

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 11 Old 07-15-2016, 01:49 AM Thread Starter

New jeep owner questions

I've had my Compass for a few weeks now and so far I really like it but have a few concerns/questions

Gas Mileage? Seems I'm filling up twice a week. Can't figure out if its getting poor mileage or if its just because the tank is smaller than my 200 I traded in.

Pickup power? When I need to quickly pull out to avoid traffic I don't get much pickup power. I've put the petal to the floor and it seems to take its time picking up speed.

Does anyone else have these issues?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 07-15-2016, 03:27 PM

Likely normal as either are not great. But then again we have no idea of your build or power train let alone anything else.

Fill in a detail signature so it appears in your posts for reference to anyone wondering about your vehicle.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 Old 07-21-2016, 12:23 AM Thread Starter

OK added my signature details!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 07-21-2016, 05:39 PM

Well.. as a relatively new owner also, I had the same issues...

For the gas mileage, I'd have to say it's because you're still within the engine break-in period and transmission learning. This will take about 1k-3k miles roughly...

The poor acceleration was an issue for me because the transmission needed an update to the firmware... they update the TCM at the dealership... this corrected the sloppy shifting/hard-hitting/ poor throttle response. This, of course, is assuming you have the 6 speed transmission and not the CVT. That's whole different topic for some of the older compass owners in this forum.

I also had the issue where , making a right on red, I had to put the pedal to the floor to get the thing to move, and even then it had a terrible drive by wire response... this all went away once I had the dealership update my TCM.

On a side note, you can boost the compass's performance a bit more with a K&N cold air intake and Magnaflow Payback exhaust system. Since I upgrade to this.. my gas mileage is better, throttle response is way better, and there's definitely more pep to the 0-60mph.
Lastly, how can anyone argue with the great sound it makes too!!

I have a 2014 compass 2.4l 6 speed automatic btw..

I hope this helps.
post #5 of 11 Old 07-22-2016, 03:47 PM

Air filtration is much poorer with the K&N filter. Large openings in the weave are obvious if you look to a bright light/ski. If you don't keep it for a long time it will be someone elses problem with engine wearing faster.

As stated by Robxstone, take it in and have it checked and they'll also update the firmware. This may change over the years many times. I know my CVT build was updated so many times I lost track of it. If you don't speak up you'll be stuck with it.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 11 Old 07-22-2016, 04:46 PM Thread Starter

OK thanks I'll get it checked this week! Not looking to do any big/expensive mods though because its a lease. I would love some nice exhaust but seems like a waste of money in a vehicle I will have 2.5-3 years. Thanks for the responses!
post #7 of 11 Old 07-28-2016, 09:27 AM

Any updates or changes after the dealer check?
post #8 of 11 Old 07-28-2016, 11:01 PM Thread Starter

No haven't been able to make it in. Car picks up speed better without the air and I was told it just has too small of an engine for the size of the vehicle. So maybe its just the way it is???
post #9 of 11 Old 07-29-2016, 03:49 AM

Yeah, You have the 2L, the 2.4L is has a lot more power I am sure. Although it works hard if towing and with my CVT which is a poor combination. IMO any 4 cylinder is too small for a SUV.
Niknak909 likes this.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #10 of 11 Old 07-31-2016, 02:30 PM

Tripplec, I wanted to point out that I've had many cars in the past with the K&N filter, and I'm not disagreeing with the poor filtration however if you know how to keep your engine tip top with maintanence. You shouldn't have to worry about the engine failing quicker.

My last car had a K&N from the first 3 months getting it all the way to 7 years owning it. I always changed the oil with synthetic, cleaned the MAP/MAF sensors often, Maintained the sparkplugs/wires, Sprayed the throttle body often, and seafoamed the engine quite a bit also. The engine got in to the high mileage club and still started like a dime. I guess you can say I babied the engines.. lol
"HOPEFULLY"... this 2.4l World engine will perform the same hahahahahaha... so far so good.
post #11 of 11 Old 07-31-2016, 02:48 PM

Looking after it is key for sure. We can't control the air it breaths. Dusty road construction and gravel stretch kick up a fowl mix and we're getting more than normal now with this extra dry summer. We haven't had a good rainfall day in 2-3 months now and its been quite hot for us. Grass is just brown like straw as well.

From my time here on the forum the CPS is one of the components to go. Not sure if thats also a early fail item but one to keep in mind. I am not sure if I will attempt to change mine before winter sets in. I don't want it as a issue at that time.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in