Steel wheel? - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 9 Old 10-05-2016, 03:58 AM Thread Starter
DRG

Steel wheel?

Just got a 2015 compass and it has 17 inch wheels...Id like to get 4 17 inch wheels for snow tires ..anybody know of a inexpensive place that carries 17x6.5 wheels wth the 40 offset??? I know I can go to 16 but that means getting 5 wheels instead of the four..thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 10-05-2016, 03:51 PM

Most would go with the 16" steelies. Never heard anyone buying a 5th wheel. LOL You still have a spare although not a winter tire. It won't fit in the storage area of the compact wheel/tire either so why?

16" gives you more rubber depth and travel on rough terrain, softer ride as well. Cheaper solution and more choices available. There is a tire thread near the bottom where this should have been entered.

If you have TPMS in your vehicle you may want to pay for the wheel sensors or you'll be looking at the Dash light all winter long. No way to turn it off.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 Old 10-05-2016, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
DRG

I have the factory 17 inch wheels and just assumed the spare was a 17 inch also..now that I went out and looked I see it's a 16 inch so that's a no brainer now.. Do you know of any place folks are ordering 16 inch wheels from? I assume I need 16x6.5 5x4.5'with a 40 offset..sorry for not posting in right location. I'll know better next time and moderator feel free to move..thanks for the input
And as for the TPMS yes I will get the sensors..I hate nuisance lights and don't like black tape lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 10-05-2016, 04:33 PM

Check with you local wheel shops or auto tire chains. Weight won't make it practical fo ship them.

One thing for all Rims. You want Hub Centric rims. Many shop will sell a generic steel and even aluminum which is not hub centric. Otherwise you need hub centric rings for the rims!!! Don't let anyone say you don't need them the OEM are hub centric which means the weight of the vehicle is on the bearing center and NOT the wheel studs. the stud are not engineered to take the stress. The shops have a book to look up the compatible rim with offsets to match the vehicle.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 Old 10-05-2016, 10:19 PM

Garage
Check your local salvage yards or your local Craigslist or FB trading groups. On another Jeep site, one centered around the Patriot, I found a guy giving away a set of 16" steelies from the Patriot he gave his daughter, a set he had tried to sell, but nobody seemed interested. I drove 3.5 hours one way from Pittsburgh to just outside DC to grab them from him, so I could use them for winter tires on my 2016 Compass. $45 in fuel costs for a set of free rims...well worth it in my book. Locally, I couldn't find them for less than $150 for a set of 4 used rims.

There are other wheels that will fit the Compass that other Jeeps use. Some of the Liberty models fit, as do some others.

No need to buy new when there are used out there that will do the job just as good. Like I said, check local FB groups, Craigslist, or salvage yards.

Clyde--True Blue Pearlcoat 2016 Compass Sport 2.4L 6-speed. Additions since brand new in September of 2016: 4X Alpine SPJ-691C3, Weathertech floor liner Front only, Scosche Magi-Mount, USB charging port added to glove box, USB charging ports added to rear passenger area, Hum, Curt 13081 class III receiver. More to come!!

post #6 of 9 Old 10-07-2016, 02:29 AM Thread Starter
DRG

Steel Rim 16x6 5 5x114 3 Multi Application Fitment X99154N | eBay

Ok it says not hub centric, but this is the same diameter bore on the compass..so would that matter Not being hub centric since it's the same bore on factory wheels?
post #7 of 9 Old 10-07-2016, 08:02 AM

It's interesting that if you buy a car with wheels at a certain size, you'd think that they would give you a spare at the same size too right? My opinion, get some tyre and rim insurance so that you can get your tyres replaced often enough as you require.
post #8 of 9 Old 10-09-2016, 02:14 PM

Great stuff for that crispy clean look of your favorite vehicle:
luxxio.co.nz/
post #9 of 9 Old 10-17-2016, 08:22 AM

For 16" steel wheels, I would get 225/75/16. It won't rub too bad. Other guys reported that it will slightly rub when turning at full lock

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in