Do You Regret Your Compass ? - Jeep Compass Forum
 24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 47 Old 12-23-2016, 04:33 PM Thread Starter

Do You Regret Your Compass ?

Was reading this post by Consumer Reports and it was titled "7 Cars Owners Regret Buying" and in the category of Small SUV, the Jeep Compass was right there. Apparently the Jeep Compass is the most regretted small suv that people have bought.

Their survey found that 42% of respondents would buy one again. That means 58%, more than half, have said that they wouldn't.

Quote:
Lackluster performance, a cramped and austere cabin, narrow front seats, and difficult rearward views are just some of the faults we found with Jeep’s small SUV entry. The Compass has lost its way with owners, too.
Quote:
Complaints included feeble acceleration and too much road noise, and it was rated uncommonly poor in overall comfort.
Quote:
Owners say:
“Doesn’t have any power; the gas mileage could be better.”

“The driver’s seat cannot be raised, and it is hard for a short person to see over a bulky dash.”

“The air conditioning indicator for on or off is very difficult to see.”
So my question here is, Do any of you Regret buying your Jeep Compass ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 Old 12-26-2016, 12:32 PM

Garage
I don't regret buying my 2014 Compass. Yeah, there are some things that could be different but I'm pretty overall satisfied with my purchase. I think that most consumers are looking for the "perfect" vehicle but that'll never be found and there are those that you can't please no matter what.

2014 Jeep Compass MK
RRO lift kit
BF Goodrich Mud Terrain T/A KM2's
American Outlaw Black Rims
post #3 of 47 Old 12-26-2016, 03:12 PM

Garage
So far, since buying it in September, I've been happy. As stated above, there are a few things I would like to change about it, but it gets me from point A to point B, at roughly 10 mpg more than what I was driving before. Price point wasn't bad for what it is...a 4 cyl Jeep SUV. The complaints listed have been well known to the public since the first generation hit the roads in 2007. The fact that those same complaints remain today has very little to do with the manufacturer, and more with customers that didn't research or pay attention during the test drive portion of their car shopping.

My complaints are able to be handled with aftermarket parts...and aren't really complaints, just things I planned on changing when I bought the car. Thinks like wind noise when window is down, piss poor stereo performance, tire produced road noise and the like, will all be taken care of in the coming months. I've already replaced the speakers with Alpine models, and will be adding a 4 channel amplifier to clear up the sound a bit. On the stock aluminum rims, are the stock Kuhmo tires that I don't care much for. I have a set of Patriot steelies on with a set of good snow tires for winter use, and plan on getting better Summer driving tires next month. The wind noise when the window is down can be handled primarily with vent visors...as soon as possible, I'll be ordering a set of in-channel visors for the windows.

Would I buy the car again if I had the chance? Yes, without a second thought. It's a good vehicle so far.

Clyde--True Blue Pearlcoat 2016 Compass Sport 2.4L 6-speed. Additions since brand new in September of 2016: 4X Alpine SPJ-691C3, Weathertech floor liner Front only, Scosche Magi-Mount, USB charging port added to glove box, USB charging ports added to rear passenger area, Hum, Curt 13081 class III receiver. More to come!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 47 Old 12-27-2016, 08:14 PM

Garage
I am 100% satisfied with my Compass. I did my research and found the appropriate vehicle for what I wanted to do with it. I think the regrets come from people who didn't do their homework, so the regret is the fault of the owner, not the Compass.

Lackluster performance - It's a 4 cylinder, 180 hp suv. Duh. It's not going to pull your camper.... But, for a 4 cylinder suv, it's got decent power. It will climb over a mountain (trust me, I do it almost every weekend). I don't need a v8, so I didn't get one.

Feeble accel and road noise - 4 CYLINDER SUV! It's not going to be a racecar. But, my Compass gets up and goes as well as I would expect a 4 cyl suv to. I don't have any road noise, so I'm not sure what others are hearing. I bought my Compass knowing I was going to lift it and put knobby tires on, so I expected there to be road noise. My Compass is super quiet even with those mods.

Driver's seat can't be raised - I'm only 5'5" and the Compass fits me like a glass slipper. I can see over the dash and I consider it quite spacious. If I was 6'10" I wouldn't buy a Compass. I also wouldn't buy a Ferrari.... Does that mean Ferraris are bad?

Overall, I love my compass. It's much more comfortable than a Wrangler. Something I can take my girl out to dinner in and not feel like I'm putting her into a mud truck with 35" tires. My compass can and has done any trail a v8 Grand Cherokee could do, but I still get over 20 mpg. I don't need to tow anything, so a bigger engine isn't needed. I don't plan on drag racing anyone, so the acceleration is good enough for me. And the interior has the Jeep utilitarian feel, but that's why its a jeep and not a Lexus.

Also, I love underdogs. I build motorcycles and love taking an old grandpa bike and turning it into a baddass ripper. Yeah, you can go buy a badass Harley off the showroom floor, but where's the fun in that? The Compass is the little Jeep that could. Yeah, it didn't over impress me when it was stock, but I saw the potential it had. Now I've added what I wanted and subtracted what I didn't and it's like no other Compass I've seen on the road and I love it. If the Compass doesn't meet your standards, don't buy it. Simple as that. Compass on friends!

Last edited by Nick Kaminski; 12-28-2016 at 03:11 PM.
post #5 of 47 Old 12-30-2016, 03:21 PM

From the sounds of it, people are just expecting too much out of a 4 cylinder SUV. That does happen from time to time with a brand like Jeep, just expecting everything in its lineup to be a rustic and do-all vehicle.

Glad you're liking the Jeep compass!
post #6 of 47 Old 12-30-2016, 06:12 PM Thread Starter

See, this is what I love about forums especially. People that are enthusiasts that are bound together in a community that know what they're talking about. Even the new-comers that don't, they're open to learning, listening, providing their insights, and it's great. The problem I find is that majority of people don't take the time to learn, do research, or even listen to anything and pretty much go into purchases like this blindly expecting the world.

Great to hear how well you guys can speak of your Compass and how you tailor it to be fit just for you. That's what it's all about.
post #7 of 47 Old 12-30-2016, 06:22 PM

The Pre 2010 and maybe it as well are the worst of this breed. Design and mechanically, while things changed in later version designs they have their own problems as I have read but not as bad mechanically speaking. The CVT is one key power train item that is a huge ticket item when it goes, and it does go or have unrepairable problems (been there and on my 2nd CVT).

The 2.4L may under some circumstances be good on gas but overall it is NOT good at all given the weight and engine displacement only 4MPG better than my old 4.0L I6 2002 Grand Cherokee was on the highway. It doesn't do well towing the RPM run quite high under light trailer loads and gas consumption really jumps. I only towed a few times short distances with a small box trailer and then stopped siting a weak power train and braking system which was challenged trying to bring a modest load to a stop.

There is another version of this 2.4L I know with a few more horses but until the 6 speed configuration (I have no experience with it) I would not venture the risk of towing in earlier models CVT equipped. The 6 speed builds should be better but other problems including someone complaining about engine vibration or it sound like it may be a new symptom or reflection of some poor quality part like CPS sensor going/gone bad. Either way the Edmunds and other experts have this on their do not buy list as well as other Chrysler models. Any vehicle can be great when all is well but when its not, its not and worst when a fix is evading the experts that are suppose to take care of your ride under warranty. I too lived with many problems for months on end before finally repaired through numerous dealer visits.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 47 Old 12-31-2016, 11:55 AM

I will chime in on this one even though I have only owned my compass a couple of weeks. Mine is a 2016 2.0L 5 speed manual. It came stock with 16" wheels and Goodyear tires. I find the acceleration to be on par with what I would expect in a 4 cylinder small SUV. It has no problem with passing other vehicles or making grade climbs. There is virtually ZERO road or wind noise unless I have the window cracked open. The seats are quite fine for both myself who is 5'11" tall or for my wife who is 5'2" tall. The fit and finish of the compass is on par with what someone would expect from a Jeep branded vehicle. I have absolutely ZERO complaints and would purchase again without a second thought.
Stringplucker and wheelin like this.
post #9 of 47 Old 01-01-2017, 08:42 PM

Garage
So far, I am loving the Compass! It does everything I ask it to do without any complaints. For what it is, a cheap, reliable vehicle that will get you from point A to point B. To me, at least, it has plenty of power with the 5 speed that it came with, the 4x4 works brilliantly, road noise is just about non-existent, and gas mileage is so much better than my old car. For a first time buyer, this is a great alternative to what's on the market today.
Stringplucker and wheelin like this.
post #10 of 47 Old 01-03-2017, 03:30 PM

Can't really go wrong with such a low price, even the top trim is just a bit over $25k and the sport model is great too for something that's under $20k. I'm sure most to be 2017 compass owners won't have much, if anything, to complain about.
post #11 of 47 Old 01-08-2017, 03:52 AM
ecl

Garage
only when it comes to the gas mileage am I not happy. I only get 19-21 on the highway when its rated around 26 if I remember right. Over all pretty satisfied with car.
cygnusjen likes this.

2013 compass 4x4 black forest green
post #12 of 47 Old 01-08-2017, 10:52 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecl View Post
only when it comes to the gas mileage am I not happy. I only get 19-21 on the highway when its rated around 26 if I remember right. Over all pretty satisfied with car.
The reason why the fuel mileage is off is how it is tested for the EPA...using a dynomometer, no head winds, and top speed of 60MPH. US highways are averaging between 70 and 80 mph. Anything over 60, and you're losing numbers and using more gas. Add into that mix head winds, wind resistance and the like, and you can understand why they don't perform as the manufacturer claims.

My driving habits include staying in the 60mph range unless I'm holding up traffic, at which point I will increase to the flow of traffic. I also use my speed control anytime I'm on the open road, ensuring that my speed stays constant.

Other ways to increase your MPG is to coast down hills, brake sooner, don't jack-rabbit on take off, and generally just taking it easy behind the wheel.

My 2.4L with 6-speed auto-stick has been pegging the range of 26-27 on the highway. Not necessarily what was rated, but better than many. My worst highway numbers came in at 24 mpg. That was with 3 adults and a shelf installed into the receiver, loaded with luggage on a 300 mile trip. That's the trip that I learned a turned down exhaust tip wouldn't melt my carrier bag.

Clyde--True Blue Pearlcoat 2016 Compass Sport 2.4L 6-speed. Additions since brand new in September of 2016: 4X Alpine SPJ-691C3, Weathertech floor liner Front only, Scosche Magi-Mount, USB charging port added to glove box, USB charging ports added to rear passenger area, Hum, Curt 13081 class III receiver. More to come!!

post #13 of 47 Old 01-10-2017, 03:26 PM

Less than ideal fuel economy is just something you learn to live with when it comes to Jeep. At least you can fill the Compass up with 87 Octane which is the cheapest option at the pump. I've driven cars that required 91 and that wasn't fun on the wallet.
post #14 of 47 Old 01-10-2017, 05:22 PM

Chrysler exaggerated the economy and depending on the year rated it 37 to 40MPG Canadian. Lucky to see 30mpg in most driving situations.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #15 of 47 Old 01-10-2017, 06:11 PM

Garage
Fuel economy always has the cryptic "up to xxx miles per gallon". Up to means absolute ideal conditions. I don't recall owning a single vehicle (and I've owned a LOT) that has lived up to it's gas mileage rating. If that's your only complaint, I'd say the Compass is doing pretty good.

I was getting about 24 mpg out of my Compass, but I do a little more extreme driving than most. I also built some pretty stout roof cross bars that I'm sure decrease mileage. After the first few weeks of keeping track of gas mileage I stopped because it really doesn't matter. I'm not going to drive less because my gas mileage isn't what I thought it would be. I'm not going to sell my Jeep because it gets 3 miles less per gallon (which would be what, $4 more per gas tank?).

Tripplec, did you legitimately think your Compass was going to get 40mpg? I literally laughed out loud when I read that. Are you sure you weren't looking at an add for a Prius.....? Your posts are always a source of amusement.
post #16 of 47 Old 01-10-2017, 06:28 PM

LOL Nope and that was not my year but a few later on their Jeep Website. Just saying what they were doing. But then again the millage I am getting on the highway is nor more than 4mpg than my old 2002 Grand Cherokee w./4.0L iron block 4x4. Compass is so much lighter and should be more fuel efficient then it is. I stopped doing MPG checks on it some time ago. We just drive it an fix it alternating as required on those. Alternator was last to go and mentioned the respective section. Once the parts have been replace and other stop breaking down/wearing out its not a bad vehicle. I however and fearful the front subframe is going to go looking at it while I was under and then got it rust sprayed at krown rust proofing. Anyone buying a new one might want to look and intertain an extended warranty which would likely be very beneficial.

Its never on a good list from the auto review sites and never in a recommend list either. I suppose at its price point getting a good deal its a value while under bumper to bumper warranty.

To reiterate I did not buy it for mileage rating although expected better than it gets. 4x4, traction system, space and style, back then these where the key factors and pretty much in that order My wife wanted this as opposed to a typical styled boxy SUV. She'll be driving it a long time yet. I have the other mention SUV which I am happy with.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #17 of 47 Old 01-12-2017, 09:52 PM

Garage
I agree there are things I would change (and plan too) with my 2014 compass, but overall I have been very happy. I am 27 and have had 6 different vehicles. 1993 Ford Bronco, 1999 Chevy K1500, 1996 Chevy Tahoe (2 door, lifted with mudders), 2013 KIA optima, 2014 Kia Optima, and now my 2014 Jeep Compass. The switch 2 the KIA's was because of much needed fuel economy for work. I decided I was sick of not having any towing capabilities and trunk space for equipment, so I started looking at Cherokees. The price difference from the compass was ridiculous along with less MPG's. I opted for the compass......I average 350 miles a tank, plenty of room for all my equipment, and it tows my 17' boat without any issues. Custom made roof racks with Thule attachments make the snowboarding trips easier as well. Next will be an upgraded sound system. I also have the MOPAR Maximum care warranty which has already paid off....Got 2 front lower control arms and a new driver side axle last week for $100 deductible.
post #18 of 47 Old 01-16-2017, 04:30 AM
ecl

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringplucker View Post
The reason why the fuel mileage is off is how it is tested for the EPA...using a dynomometer, no head winds, and top speed of 60MPH. US highways are averaging between 70 and 80 mph. Anything over 60, and you're losing numbers and using more gas. Add into that mix head winds, wind resistance and the like, and you can understand why they don't perform as the manufacturer claims.

My driving habits include staying in the 60mph range unless I'm holding up traffic, at which point I will increase to the flow of traffic. I also use my speed control anytime I'm on the open road, ensuring that my speed stays constant.

Other ways to increase your MPG is to coast down hills, brake sooner, don't jack-rabbit on take off, and generally just taking it easy behind the wheel.

My 2.4L with 6-speed auto-stick has been pegging the range of 26-27 on the highway. Not necessarily what was rated, but better than many. My worst highway numbers came in at 24 mpg. That was with 3 adults and a shelf installed into the receiver, loaded with luggage on a 300 mile trip. That's the trip that I learned a turned down exhaust tip wouldn't melt my carrier bag.
Yes im aware that you dont allows get whats stated because the test are different then real life, however with that said we traded in a 2009 dodge journey v6 awd and got the same mileage as we are getting in compass now. Just sucks you downsize and still get the same mileage, that was a reason we traded our nissan juke before since it got crappy mileage for such a small car and now im back in the same boat. I was just hoping that going back to a 4 cylinder would get me a little better mileage than 19-22, kinda wish i had my chevy HHR back where i could be fully loaded driving 75 and still get 30 mpg but oh well. Still enjoy the compass overall and looking forward to doing stuff to it.

2013 compass 4x4 black forest green
post #19 of 47 Old 01-16-2017, 12:12 PM

I agree with downsizing sucks when the MPG and capability are the same. My Sante Fe I personally drive now with its 3.3L gets 26-29MPG highway and I know the Compass is not better.

My old Jeep of near 300,000km on it w/I6 iron block got 24-26MPG highway. I just shock my head at this small platform. Low price for a new machine if you don't speed all your time in the dealers getting them to fix things.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #20 of 47 Old 02-20-2017, 04:35 PM

Yes I regret having brought a Jeep Compass. I just brought it in December 2016 and have had it in the shop three time already. Twice for vibrations while sitting at a light or idling in park after warming up. Both Carmax and Jeep tell me this is normal for the Compass but I have never seen this in anyy car that I have owned. After searching out and finding this My Jeep Compass forum it has really made me question my purchasing this vehicle. It seems like Jeep has had this problem for years and has done absolutely nothing to solve it. Haven't decided what to do yet but will probably have to do something if Carmax doesn't make good on the vehicle.
post #21 of 47 Old 06-06-2017, 01:13 AM

Garage
2011 Jeep Compass Limited. Loaded to the gills, had it over the Minnesota winter.

Winter driving, it was a sure footed billy goat, even with the 19 inch rims. Actually found locked in 4 wheel drive to be more squirrly when driving, so I left it in the AWD mode.

Power, always more POWER ugh ugh ugh. I have a Mustang, so I can get my thrills there. But an extra 50 or so horses would help when pulling out in traffic.

Quality, hit and miss. I expected more from the Boston Acoustics. Feel a little let down there. Kinda plastiky in spots, but the seats are amazing. I am a big guy, 6'2" and about 350 pounds, and I am comfortable. I like the driving position, and my seats can go up and down, I am not sure what people are saying when they say they don't.

Mileage, I am pretty conservative in my driving (even with my Mustang) but feel a little let down, I expected a little better. I was expecting about 24-25 mixed, and I am lucky to see 21 mpg.

Overall, this is my first Jeep. I like it, not 100% sure I would buy again, if I do go Jeep again, might get something a little more Jeepy, thinking Wrangler 4 door.
post #22 of 47 Old 07-05-2017, 08:12 AM

I'm Ok with the gas mileage, after all it's a 4 wheel drive. My only pet peeve about both of the Jeeps I have owned (2002 Jeep Liberty) and now the 2014 Compass is the small gas tank. If only the gas tank was 2-3 gallons bigger, it wouldn't seem like one is always stopping for gas on road trips.

Overall, I'm thrilled with the Compass
post #23 of 47 Old 11-23-2017, 02:40 PM

I just purchased a 2015 compass latitude and love it. I had rented a 2016 compass sport and spent a week driving it and enjoyed it so much I did my usual homework finding a nice clean/ like new used one at car sense with 12650mi. I don't find any of the complaints I was reading about in reviews and agree people will find fault in anything. I know there are problem vehicles in every car group. I haven't had mine that long to give a long term evaluation but as of now I think it was a great move and I'm truly happy with it. Yes as many of you stated there are changes that could improve on it but I find it to be a very good bang for the buck.

Last edited by LouG; 11-23-2017 at 02:45 PM.
post #24 of 47 Old 11-23-2017, 04:24 PM

Good luck, I am sure they have improved a lot since the 09 or 10 series being 5 more years they undoubtly had changes to everything. I am not sure if that still had the CVT or its switch to a 6 speed which I know they were doing. I would not recommend CVT to anyone. I had my service done this month and dealers want $400 to $500 for the service. Absurd since its less than $200 for a typical tranny at the same dealer. Go figure

After I had replace 80% of the vehicle its stabilized. Touch would, I gave it to my daughter yesterday and she's over the moon to have a vehicle now.

I bought myself a Highlander 4WD.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #25 of 47 Old 11-23-2017, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripplec View Post
Good luck, I am sure they have improved a lot since the 09 or 10 series being 5 more years they undoubtly had changes to everything. I am not sure if that still had the CVT or its switch to a 6 speed which I know they were doing. I would not recommend CVT to anyone. I had my service done this month and dealers want $400 to $500 for the service. Absurd since its less than $200 for a typical tranny at the same dealer. Go figure

After I had replace 80% of the vehicle its stabilized. Touch would, I gave it to my daughter yesterday and she's over the moon to have a vehicle now.

I bought myself a Highlander 4WD.
My 2015 has the 6 speed auto and it shifts firmer than the cvt I rented.
post #26 of 47 Old 11-23-2017, 05:04 PM

Excellent then, its a much better solution. I rented a Journey on holidays in Florida and it had the 2.4L and some Auto Tranny. Engine like that had no busness being a big SUV like that. But you are much better with that transmission. CVT's don't shift, they just change ration and engine rev's follow up and down all over. More load more rev's et.

Keep and eye on the fluid especially if you tow. A flat plate tranny cooler would guarantee it to last since heat is what kills them.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #27 of 47 Old 11-23-2017, 05:33 PM

Hi - I have a 2017 Jeep Compass Sport. I have had it for 3 months and I love mine. It has 21000 miles on it and I have not even put
1,000 miles on it. I have had no issues with mine except for a noise under the right glove box when I first start my car in the morning. It goes away after it warms and I am having it looked at next week at a dealership. The door behind the drivers side needs adjusting but it rides awesome and my mileage is roughly 20 miles to the gallon. It is all city driving. I am waiting for snow so I can see how it handles in the winter. I am very pleased so far with my Jeep. I have warranty for a few more years - but I would buy it again - I am very happy
post #28 of 47 Old 11-23-2017, 07:52 PM

[
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripplec View Post
Keep an eye on the fluid especially if you tow. A flat plate tranny cooler would guarantee it to last since heat is what kills them.
Agreed. I will not do any towing. The type 4 trans fluid is very good but like any other it does have it limits.
post #29 of 47 Old 11-29-2017, 04:38 PM

Garage
I've had my 2018 Compass Latitude for a few weeks and I'm loving it. It's my first Jeep (first new car), so it's way better than my 2005 Chevy Cavalier with 170K miles on it.

I've wanted an SUV for a long time now and this has everything I'm looking for:

Gas milage is pretty great. The 2018s have that thing where the engine idles when stopped to save on gas/emissions (can be turned on/off with the push of a button)

The Winter Package adds a bit of luxury with the heated leather steering wheel, heater leather seats, and remote start. 4x4 is also amazing, which I've never experienced before.

I have nothing bad to say about it quite yet. I knew what I was getting and what I will be using it for, it's the perfect SUV for me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jeep2.jpg (177.5 KB, 8 views)

2018 Black Jeep Compass Latitude
post #30 of 47 Old 11-30-2017, 12:13 AM

Garage
After owning mine for 14 months, I am still very happy with my car. Sure, I get a combined 25 mpg-290 miles per tank, but that's not bad for the type of vehicle it is. The 4x4 works great driving on rutted dirt trails, it's a neat nifty little capable suv. After driving 300 miles this past weekend with 1 bike in the car and 3 on a bike rack, the ride is still very smooth driving 60 mph to 5 mph. Now I have a 2016 model year, now how does the newest model compare to mine? Is it better or worse?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in