Upsizing compass tires - Jeep Compass Forum
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By zoner99

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 19 Old 01-06-2017, 10:34 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Upsizing compass tires

Hey everyone,

New to the forum. I have a 2014 jeep compass 4WD 2.4L. I am at 55K miles and still have the stock 225/60/17's on her and I need to replace ASAP. I see a lot of posts out there about going up in size without a lift but I cant find any great answers. Im not looking for a mudding machine, I just want to throw on some AT's for better snow traction. Im up north in snow a lot. 245/65/17 to aggressive? Thanks in advance!!!

- Brendan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 01-06-2017, 10:56 PM

Wider is NOT better in deep snow. Narrow snow tires alway get they further. You can raise the profile to give yourself a taller tire which improves clearance and rubber between the rim and road. This I believe is still CVT and with the tires I have I see the effect of the addition load accelerating and highway speed maintaining. Its working harder for sure. Overall I am at least a 1/2" taller but it rides an feels better driving. If you
re getting rims like steel ones 16" with the slightly larger tire over the original equivalent would be best. Use a tire converter for the size or ask your tire shop.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 19 Old 01-06-2017, 11:08 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks tripplec! So if I am sticking with my 17's basically I should stay with 225/60/17? I basically am just looking for a little more aggressive tread. I am also in the woods quite a bit. Nothing major though obviously.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 01-06-2017, 11:17 PM

Yes but if you like taller and don't mind a power hit. The taller 65 series over the 60 series give you a bit more. 17 inch rim a close to the ground and clipping curbs etc damaging the rims is a lot easier to happen.

The increase profile size moves you slightly higher. If you do the width up one as well you move even higher.

Whether this is a winter only or all year solution depends on what makes sense as well. That I am not clear on.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by tripplec; 01-06-2017 at 11:19 PM. Reason: updated
post #5 of 19 Old 01-06-2017, 11:23 PM

What is your original size in your vehicle?

Is it a CVT or 6 speed automatic? I don't remember when the switch took place.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #6 of 19 Old 01-07-2017, 12:04 AM Thread Starter

Garage
The switch took place in the 2014 models so I have a 6 speed auto. This is my year round vehicle. Its hard for me to decide on tires because I drive 25K miles a year for work but I also like to play in the woods. original size is 225/60/17
post #7 of 19 Old 01-07-2017, 01:15 PM

IMO the 6 speed automatic will handle the larger sizes much better than the CVT does. If the clearances are there 235/85/17 should not be a problem and better all around solution Duellers come to mind if you get a good thread. One which is NOT for dirt and mud since they're useless in wet and snow. The knobs are too big.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #8 of 19 Old 01-07-2017, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendanpd2 View Post
The switch took place in the 2014 models so I have a 6 speed auto. This is my year round vehicle. Its hard for me to decide on tires because I drive 25K miles a year for work but I also like to play in the woods. original size is 225/60/17
the 6 speed auto was an option in 2013, I think it then gradually became more common; the CVT is still part of the off road group.
"lifts" and tire size on the Compatriots aren't directly related. Wider tires tend to hit the suspension, taller tires will hit the rear of the front wheel well. Raising the vehicle doesn't significantly reduce these issues.
The expected use of the vehicle and the design of the new tires also have some impact.

My own thoughts are that for a stock vehicle and typical road and light off road use, approx 9" tire width and 29" tire height are reasonable limits. 9" is basically a 225 width tire. On 17" rims a 225/65 is 28.5" and a 225/70 is 29.4".
Going to a 16" wheel allows using taller tires within the same overall tire height (more tire, less wheel). Personally I consider 17" wheels as being on-road use only, on these vehicles.
But of course many people think I am crazy including my wife, so feel free to form your own opinions

https://tiresize.com/calculator/
tripplec and Naganooch like this.

Last edited by zoner99; 01-07-2017 at 01:30 PM. Reason: added link
post #9 of 19 Old 01-07-2017, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripplec View Post
Wider is NOT better in deep snow. Narrow snow tires alway get they further.
"snow" conditions vary and no specific set up will be best in all conditions. Wider tires are almost always better off-road. Narrower tires (ie, the narrowest stock size) are a good choice for severe winter conditions if used on-road only. Narrower tires are an advantage on ice (vehicle weight is concentrated in a smaller tire contact area).
post #10 of 19 Old 01-09-2017, 03:15 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thank you for all the input it is greatly appreciated!! Anyone ever put BF K02's on a compass or patriot? My buddy has them on his bronco and loves em. Great in mud and snow, quiet, etc. they have them in 225/65/17 and I'm thinking about giving them a go.
post #11 of 19 Old 01-12-2017, 05:20 PM

Garage
I have Yokohama Geolander A/T-S 225/70R17XL 108T BSW on my Compass and I'm really happy with them. I do a lot of off roading in the mountains and they handle rocks, mud, and snow like a beast. I fully expected to get a lot of road noise out of them, but there is absolutely none. I have the RRO lift, but I think you could still stuff that size tire under the stock suspension.

post #12 of 19 Old 01-12-2017, 07:01 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks Nick! I ended up going with the 225/65/17 BFG KO2's. Read a lot of great reviews up about this 4th generation of AT's. So far im very happy. definitely a little noise compared to my previous tires but they were highway tires with almost no tread left so that was expected. Ride is still smooth and comfortable. How do you like the RRO lift?? I've read mixed reviews.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jeep 1.jpg (167.4 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg jeep 2.jpg (145.9 KB, 56 views)
post #13 of 19 Old 01-12-2017, 08:47 PM

Garage
Nice! They definitely look beefy. What did you pay for those? I might actually like those better than my Yoko's.

I love my RRO kit. It was super easy to put in, maybe an hour for the front and an hour for the back. The extra clearance is very noticeable and beneficial. I debadged my Compass and people always think its a Cherokee now. I took my Compass off roading the first weekend I had it and scraped bottom more times than I would've liked(once is enough). I put the lift on and have yet to scrape bottom ever again. Basically, if my front end will go over it, so will the rest of the vehicle now. I thought I would have more body roll when cornering but there is no noticeable difference.

The only complaints I have about the lift is 1) the new upper control arms have the grease fitting in a goofy spot. I had to grind a small notch to make it fit. 2)the first month having the lift the control arms were squeaky. Nothing major, but I would hear it. I greased them over and over and the squeak wouldn't go away. After that first month of squeaks, it went away. I think it was just new rubber. 3) My alignment guy hated me when I had the initial alignment done. To do the alignment in the rear you have to measure, take the wheel off, disconnect the upper control arm, adjust, put the wheel back on, and measure again. He probably did that process on each rear wheel 5-6 times. Quite a pain, but hey, that's what I pay him for...

All in all, I absolutely recommend it. I've heard some things about shimmies and shakes in other people's Compasses, but I think that's because their were other issues that the lift compounded. You and I have the same model, engine, and transmission, so I say do it! Compass on!
post #14 of 19 Old 01-12-2017, 09:13 PM Thread Starter

Garage
wow great info man thank you!! I did the Town Fair Tire price match....Found them on 4wheelparts.com for $183 a piece plus $70 off when you purchase 4 tires. They matched the price plus 5%. After tires, mounting, balancing, alignment, and the optional lifetime warranty I paid $850.00. I would have went up a size if I had the RRO lift. I also drive 25K a year performing home inspections in Northeast MA so I didnt want to kill my MPG too bad. Did you plastidip your wheels or paint them?
post #15 of 19 Old 01-12-2017, 09:42 PM

Garage
That's not bad at all. I got my Yoko's for $130 each, that's including delivery. With the lift and alignment I only spent like $1100. I think the difference between your size and mine is like an 1/8". The wheels are plastidipped but I might flat black them. The plastidip gets dusty and the dust refuses to wash off. It's weird. I run a bodyshop so it wouldn't be a big deal to spray them.
post #16 of 19 Old 02-06-2017, 10:37 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Update on the BFG KO2's. After about 3 weeks and almost 2,000 miles on these tires I decided to swap them out. Although I love the aesthetics and how they handled in the snow while in northern VT last weekend.....the negatives are too much. They seem to be getting louder as i've broken them in, i lose speed at an alarming rate when letting off of the accelerator, and my MPG's have plummeted. I was averaging 320 miles per tank before and now im around 220. Going with a load range D 8 ply tire was a little aggressive. I decided to swap to the Yoko Geolanders and should have far better results with them. I toyed around with dropping to 16" soft 8's and getting the Toyo AT's 225/70/16's but I was told I can't put a wheel with that offset on my compass without alterations. Anyone have this issue??
post #17 of 19 Old 02-06-2017, 11:55 PM

Too bad the 6 speed auto can't handle that very well. I know from experience that the CVT doesn't it revs much higher easier under modest load and highway trying to keep this whimp of a car moving. I upsize two ways profile up by one, width up by one. The big benefit was the ride is much better with more rubber. Its not a heavier tire though. Very quiet as well. Previously had Nokian WGR2 All Weather tires which got supper noisy after the first year. I had to dump them. Nokian blew it on that design for sure.

Good luck

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #18 of 19 Old 02-09-2017, 11:46 PM

Quote:
They seem to be getting louder a I toyed around with dropping to 16" soft 8's and getting the Toyo AT's 225/70/16's but I was told I can't put a wheel with that offset on my compass without alterations. Anyone have this issue??
I have that size on 16x7, ET38 I think.. No issues, season 2nd.
Isn't rim 8 too wide for a 225? 7.5 should be max no matter of offset.

~Small Jeep with Big-Benz heart~
2014 Compass CRD 2.2 Limited, Tuned & Debadged
MB DOHC 16v I4 twin-turbo
@
;
@
;
235/55R17 @
8Jx17 ET35;
@

post #19 of 19 Old 05-09-2019, 11:45 AM

Do they fit good with no spacer or lift for the 225 65 17 geolander and ko2??

Quote:
Update on the BFG KO2's. After about 3 weeks and almost 2,000 miles on these tires I decided to swap them out. Although I love the aesthetics and how they handled in the snow while in northern VT last weekend.....the negatives are too much. They seem to be getting louder as i've broken them in, i lose speed at an alarming rate when letting off of the accelerator, and my MPG's have plummeted. I was averaging 320 miles per tank before and now im around 220. Going with a load range D 8 ply tire was a little aggressive. I decided to swap to the Yoko Geolanders and should have far better results with them. I toyed around with dropping to 16" soft 8's and getting the Toyo AT's 225/70/16's but I was told I can't put a wheel with that offset on my compass without alterations. Anyone have this issue??

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in