Have you seen the 2008 Liberty - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 9 Old 09-03-2007, 09:39 PM Thread Starter

Have you seen the 2008 Liberty

My husband and I traded in our 2002 Liberty for our compass and have loved every second of it. We had heard there was a change for the 2008 Liberty and decided to check it out. Here is the link. http://www.jeep.com/en/2008/liberty/index.html

Still lovin' our Compass!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 09-03-2007, 10:37 PM

I still like the Compass more. When I was buying the Compass a year ago I looked at the Liberty in the showroom. I just thing it looks too "toyish". Well it used to, it's better for 08, but it's still not my cup of tea.
post #3 of 9 Old 09-03-2007, 11:00 PM Thread Starter

Our Liberty was ok but there is no way it could handle corners etc like our Compass can. We are now thinking about adding a 2nd one but this time it's going to be a limited. Maybe with a 2nd Compass I'll finally get some driving time in
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 09-04-2007, 03:53 AM

It kinda looks like a small Dodge Nitro.
post #5 of 9 Old 09-04-2007, 02:42 PM
ACX

that rides on the same platform as a nitro. They are both made in the same plant. Dimensionally they should be very close if not exact.

Either way decent freshening, but it needed an update on the motor and tranny as much as anything , which it did not get.

I should be taking possession of my new Nitro RT with the 4.0 and 5 speed auto here soon.

:lol:
post #6 of 9 Old 09-04-2007, 05:35 PM

The largest differences between the Nitro and new Liberty are no low range in the Nitro and no 4.0 in the Liberty. I suspect they're going to revisit the decision to not offer the 4.0 in the Liberty.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Vehicle reliability, fuel economy, and price comparison information
post #7 of 9 Old 09-05-2007, 03:47 PM
ACX

4.0 so they say is a low volume motor, make that low capacity.. based on the 3.5l... not even originally setup to be longitudinally mounted.

the 3.7 is their go to motor, a 4.7l v8 with 2 cylinders dropped off.

That volume issue and the fact that the 4.0 may not bolt to a low range driveline I believe combined to get us where we are.

Lord knows the 4.0 only appears in what the pacifica and the nitro R/T..
post #8 of 9 Old 09-05-2007, 11:21 PM

And the new minivans, though most will get the old 3.8.

I'm not a powertrain tech, but it's not clear to me why the 4.0 would bolt up to the single-speed transfer case and not the two-speed transfer case, since the two are closely related designs. If this is the case, then that would explain the lack of the 4.0 in the Liberty.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Vehicle reliability, fuel economy, and price comparison information
post #9 of 9 Old 09-06-2007, 05:13 PM
ACX

capacity and lo low range were the issues I've seen cited in the past.

I assume capacity is THE key issue. they could engineer it I am sure.

logic would dictate that if a better motor could be made in equal numbers and as economically then it would be used. I would hope anyways.

I stepped up to the Nitro R/T for the sole reason of the 4.0.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in