Difference between DRL and front turn signal? - Jeep Compass Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By zoner99
  • 1 Post By zoner99

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 8 Old 06-22-2017, 04:23 AM Thread Starter

Difference between DRL and front turn signal?

Why are there 2 different types of bulbs for this? Aren't they the same? I'm not talking about the side marker lights.

On my 2016 Compass, the front turn signal bulb also functions as my daytime running lights, so why are there 2 different bulbs for this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-22-2017, 06:42 PM

The turn signal bulb shouldn't function as a DRL. I don't think they're supposed to either. Typically the high beam would be able to run two separate levels of brightness and will function as a DRL and highbeam.
post #3 of 8 Old 06-22-2017, 11:40 PM Thread Starter

I still don't understand. My headlights are reflector-only, it does not have the projectors. In this picture:

https://i.redd.it/8saebio7bsry.jpg

My low beams are on, and my DRL which in this case are amber and also work as turn signals.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 06-23-2017, 05:11 PM

Now that's the part that doesn't make sense to me though. DRL lights would turn off as soon as your low-beam is activated so it seems that your turn signals are functioning as parking lights + turn signals.

When your light switch is in the off-position, and you start the vehicle without the emergency brake applied, is it only the turn signals that are illuminated?
post #5 of 8 Old 06-24-2017, 05:12 AM Thread Starter

When it's in the off position, I believe all of my lights are off. I'm away from home so I won't be able to check anytime soon. In this case, what should be the daytime running lights? I don't see how it could be the high beam at a lower brightness. Do you have a Compass?
post #6 of 8 Old 06-25-2017, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by REVIGOR View Post
When it's in the off position, I believe all of my lights are off. I'm away from home so I won't be able to check anytime soon. In this case, what should be the daytime running lights? I don't see how it could be the high beam at a lower brightness. Do you have a Compass?
On my 2014 Compass, yes, the high beams are the DRLs and there are no separate bulbs for that function. The high beams light up at 1/3 normal wattage as DRLs. This is a Canadian market vehicle so it's possible that they are different in other markets. In Canada, all vehicles have DRLs (since 1989), most use the high beam bulbs at lower wattage, some use separate small bulbs.
NorthStar likes this.
post #7 of 8 Old 06-26-2017, 12:33 AM Thread Starter

For your vehicle, are the high beam and DRL bulbs the same or different? In the US and Mexico, the Compass has amber DRLs.
post #8 of 8 Old 06-26-2017, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by REVIGOR View Post
For your vehicle, are the high beam and DRL bulbs the same or different? In the US and Mexico, the Compass has amber DRLs.
My vehicle does not have "DRL bulbs". It uses the high beams for the purpose of DRLs.
NorthStar likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in