Is LED headlights illegal? Any views about it? - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 8 Old 11-02-2017, 08:30 AM Thread Starter

Is LED headlights illegal? Any views about it?

Hello everyone,

Is LED headlights illegal? If it is not illegal until what color of light only consider getting blocked?

So far I keep viewing the led headlamp and most of people is selling 6000k (white light) with 3.6k lumen.

I am seeing the headlamp majority manufactured vehicle between 1500lumen until 3000lumen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 11-04-2017, 07:38 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
What year of Compass do you have. Generally aftermarket LED and HID kits are not DOT approved so they would be illegal, this is mostly to do with the fact the beam pattern when you use these bulbs in a factory housing causes the light to scatter cause glare and blind other drivers.

I ran 2 different LED kits in my compass, let me know the year you have and I can help you out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 Red FDII Jeep Compass Limited
235/75/15 Wranger Territory AT
WK2 Headlight Swap
Magnaflow Muffler

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Full Interior LED's + Front/Rear Signal & Backup LEDS

post #3 of 8 Old 11-05-2017, 09:40 AM

Best ot check your local city laws and see what they say, but I think the white LED lights are illegal in Canada everywhere.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 11-05-2017, 09:57 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelin View Post
Best ot check your local city laws and see what they say, but I think the white LED lights are illegal in Canada everywhere.
LED headlights are not illegal everywhere in Canada many vehicles come from the factory with LED headlights, generally aftermarket lights HID or LED are not legal. I would argue that the LED lights I run in my Cherokee aren't noticeable that they are aftermarket

WK2 Headlight Swap
Magnaflow Muffler

post #5 of 8 Old 11-06-2017, 04:55 PM

My 2014 has the 'candle in the wind' headlights so I have been interested in potential upgrades. I e-mailed diode dynamics about DOT complicance:

Hey Zoner,

Thank you for reaching out to us today! We are sorry to inform you but any HID conversion kit when installed in a factroy halogen housing will not be DOT compliant. With this being said, we are in the final stages of development for the first street legal LED headlight bulb. This bulb will be called the SL1 and should be released in most single filament bulb sizes by the end of the year! Once this product is available we will be sure to have it added to the website.

Best,

Justin

[email protected]
(314) 205-3033 x224
post #6 of 8 Old 11-07-2017, 06:13 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Zoner, look at this thread of the LED's I used in my Compass, both in the factory housings and then the Projector Housings, Note that now GTR has a 3rd Gen LED kit which I use in my Cherokee

GTR Lighting 2nd Gen H11 LED Headlight Conversion Kit - Jeep Patriot Forums

You'll notice on the cheap led bulbs the beam pattern sucks, with some adjustment I was able to get the GTR lights to match the cutoff of the factory halogen bulbs. The new 3rd Gen LED's are even closer to a halogen bulb pattern. They aren't cheap but they are well worth it

WK2 Headlight Swap
Magnaflow Muffler

post #7 of 8 Old 11-25-2017, 02:32 PM

minor update: I see that Diode Dynamics has their SL1 LED bulbs now showing on their website. Wording is a bit weaslily though - they say 'we call this Street Legal' but don't say they ARE street legal.

Noticed also a new bulb from PIAA. It appears that these do not need an additional module to correct for pulse width modulation, so that's handy. They also allow some adjustment of the beam pattern.

The Bar Has Been Raised by the PIAA G3 LED Bulbs

Last edited by zoner99; 11-25-2017 at 02:33 PM. Reason: added note
post #8 of 8 Old 11-25-2017, 06:30 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoner99 View Post
minor update: I see that Diode Dynamics has their SL1 LED bulbs now showing on their website. Wording is a bit weaslily though - they say 'we call this Street Legal' but don't say they ARE street legal.

Noticed also a new bulb from PIAA. It appears that these do not need an additional module to correct for pulse width modulation, so that's handy. They also allow some adjustment of the beam pattern.

The Bar Has Been Raised by the PIAA G3 LED Bulbs
Says they aren't canbus compatible so you would need a resistor harness. These are awful expensive if you are going to spend that kind of money go with he GTR kit as they are proven to have very good light output.

WK2 Headlight Swap
Magnaflow Muffler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in