HELP!!! Can I safely drive with no front bumper??? - Jeep Compass Forum
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By N22Tango

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 7 Old 12-07-2017, 03:44 PM Thread Starter

HELP!!! Can I safely drive with no front bumper???

Is it safe to drive my compass without a front bumper?
Will anymore damage be done?

Got hit last night, hit and run, he clipped my left side and knocked the bumper off on the left. Since it was dragging I had to remove it completely. Insurance will cover it but I start a new job Monday and have no rental so I need to hold off a bit to get it fixed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rsz_2017-12-06_180002.jpg (108.7 KB, 17 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-07-2017, 04:20 PM

Garage
Its safe to drive, you’ll look funny but it’s fine. It’s really just cosmetics. It does help protect some of the components behind it from road debris so if you’re doing a highway drive maybe not a good idea

Photographer: “you blinked”

Me: “No I didn’t blink...I’m just Asian”
post #3 of 7 Old 12-08-2017, 12:31 AM

While it is off, do you think you could get pictures of the fog light housing? I want to replace mine with a different unit but I don't know where to start.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 12-08-2017, 02:48 PM

The bumper is not important, what is important after front-end damage is to make sure the radiator fluid/coolant is not leaking. With the radiator being right at the front, they are pretty easily damaged in an accident and if your coolant leaks out the engine will overheat and likely cause very, very expensive damage.
post #5 of 7 Old 12-08-2017, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niknak909 View Post
Got hit last night, hit and run, he clipped my left side and knocked the bumper off on the left.
Glad it is only the bumper that was "injured." The bumper fascia is missing but the integrity of the structure of the actual bumper itself, looks OK for driving, unless there are laws in your state that suggest otherwise.

FYI, I have three dash cams in my Compass. One looks straight down the road ahead of the Compass, a second dash cam has two lenses and records scenes of the passenger area and outside the passenger window, the other lens records scenes looking towards the driver side. My third dash cam is attached to the back window and records the scene to the rear.

Having three dash cams in my Jeep isn't due to paranoia. I used to be a licensed private investigator and I worked for a lot of lawyers. Video evidence prevails in lawsuits (especially if the defendant is untruthful in his or her statements) and then when evidence is presented with the actual video of what happened, the plaintiff usually prevails if a lawsuit results or the scoundrel is told that their insurance company intends to recover their losses via a lawsuit or court action.

Also, dash cams can be set to record while you are out of your vehicle (say while at a shopping mall) and if someone smacks into your vehicle while you are gone, you have a good chance of finding the scoundrel in absence of someone leaving a note on your windshield stating they accidentally hit your vehicle and they provide their contact details.

Good luck to you.
zoner99 and arudlang like this.

Last edited by N22Tango; 12-08-2017 at 03:42 PM. Reason: clarity
post #6 of 7 Old 12-08-2017, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N22Tango View Post
Glad it is only the bumper that was "injured." The bumper fascia is missing but the integrity of the structure of the actual bumper itself, looks OK for driving, unless there are laws in your state that suggest otherwise.

FYI, I have three dash cams in my Compass. One looks straight down the road ahead of the Compass, a second dash cam has two lenses and records scenes of the passenger area and outside the passenger window, the other lens records scenes looking towards the driver side. My third dash cam is attached to the back window and records the scene to the rear.

Having three dash cams in my Jeep isn't due to paranoia. I used to be a licensed private investigator and I worked for a lot of lawyers. Video evidence prevails in lawsuits (especially if the defendant is untruthful in his or her statements) and then when evidence is presented with the actual video of what happened, the plaintiff usually prevails if a lawsuit results or the scoundrel is told that their insurance company intends to recover their losses via a lawsuit or court action.

Also, dash cams can be set to record while you are out of your vehicle (say while at a shopping mall) and if someone smacks into your vehicle while you are gone, you have a good chance of finding the scoundrel in absence of someone leaving a note on your windshield stating they accidentally hit your vehicle and they provide their contact details.

Good luck to you.
Which cam would you recommend? I looked at them some time ago...but running the wires turned me off. Wish the car makers had the forsight to include a USB port in the back of the rear-view!
post #7 of 7 Old 12-09-2017, 05:29 PM

@Reagan39

I once bought a $400 dash cam that not only recorded looped video but recorded a GPS moving map trail as I was driving. This was total overkill and now I just use fairly inexpensive cameras that loop the video and overwrite the files when the SD card gets full. I set the cameras to record at 3 minutes then start a new file.

The image below is a dash cam I bought recently at Best Buy (made by Uniden) and I previously bought two Garmin dash cams and they were terrible. Returned them to Best Buy and exchanged for the Uniden.Y

I just uploaded a short video on Ipernity (which I like a lot better than YouTube) showing the dash cams in my Compass. ipernity: Jeep Compass Trailhawk - by Luke Warm

Note: The attached photo below is "weird" to view, because I opened the liftgate and snapped the photo while the camera was above me and when the liftgate is down, that dash cam actual is viewing the scene behind my Compass.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_E7713.jpg (41.0 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by N22Tango; 12-10-2017 at 12:20 AM. Reason: Added info

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in