SiriusXM Gaurdian Service - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 5 Old 01-09-2018, 04:52 PM Thread Starter

SiriusXM Gaurdian Service

Good Day All,

I am wondering if anyone knows anything about the hardware that is needed in the 2018 Jeep Compass to be able to use the Siriusxm Guardian Services? I have purchased a 2018 Jeep Compass North Edition here in Canada which is the same as the 2018 Jeep Compass Latitude Edition in the US and I am being told that my jeep is not equipped for Siriusxm Guardian Services and that it can not be added after the vehicle has been built!!! Does anyone have any knowledge on how the hardware for this works? My Jeep is a 2018 model year and has the Uconnect 4C Nav 8.4 inch system which according to a Media Release from FCA's Corporate Website should have Siriusxm Guardian Service. I have sent a email to FCA Canada Customer Service as well but that was over a week ago and they are not responding so I am searching for any info on how the system works and try and find out if my Jeep is missing any parts that it should have.

Thank you,
Chad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-09-2018, 05:56 PM

The straight answer is you don't have it, Chad, and its not something that can be simply bought and plugged into a Compass that was built and shipped without it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadjp
according to a Media Release from FCA's Corporate Website should have Siriusxm Guardian Service
I believe I know of which release you are referring, and the sad truth is its simply wrong. FCA has some misinformation floating around their sites in a couple places that would lead you to believe you should have the Guardian capability, but it is not so. I went through the same thing not long ago with my Limited trim. I read things on FCA sites as you did that made it sound like all the 8.4 systems had Guardian capability, and I thought "Surely it must be standard in Limited trim?" but it is not.

I could not get any straight information from FCA reps in chat or email, but after putting together bits and pieces from a bunch of sources and queries here is the short answer I found:

If your Compass has the 8.4" Uconnect with Navigation, then you have SiriusXM Guardian capability. If you don't have navigation, you can't get Guardian on your Compass.

The other quick giveaway if you are looking at a row of new Compasses in person is to check the rear view mirror. If it does not have the "Assist" and "SOS" buttons on the rear view mirror then it does not have the Guardian capability.

If your Compass didn't come equipped with it, you simply don't have it, and you are not going to get it unless you scurry back to your dealership within the first few days and tell them you've made a horrible mistake and you need a different, more expensive Compass.

It can't just be bought and added, its a different model Uconnect altogether. Same 8.4" screen but different guts. The non-Nav non-Guardian unit is radio code UAM. The Nav-enabled radio code (with Guardian) is UAQ. Not only would you need to buy the UAQ head-unit, you would need the rear view mirror assembly with the appropriate buttons and thats just for a start, nobody knows if the necessary wires for that rear view mirror are present (they could have easily been omitted, depending on Jeep's build practices) or if the connectors on the back of the head unit are all the same, or whether your BCM is programmed specifically for a UAM radio only or whether it could "know" what to do if a UAQ radio was dropped in.

My expectation is alternate head units do not just plug-and-play, because there are optional features controlled by the Uconnect such as heated seats and heated steering wheel, and also there are car-specific settings such as for display brightness in the cluster and settings for even more optional features such as the advanced braking system. Not to mention for years manufactures have been locking radios to VIN codes for theft/security reasons alone (not sure if Jeep does this, though). These things obviously are programmed for the specific vehicle being built on the line at the time. Its extremely unlikely that Jeep has given the lowly dealerships any ability or access to do that level of programming on the Jeeps. Hence, my assertion is you cannot just drop in a UAQ radio and swap a rear view mirror and get it to work, and the dealer most likely won't be able to program it for you, ergo, if your Compass didn't ship with it, you won't be getting it unless you go back and get a whole different Compass.

Anybody is more than welcome to try to buy the parts and prove me wrong, I am only speculating but I'm pretty confident in my assertions.
post #3 of 5 Old 01-09-2018, 07:20 PM Thread Starter

Good Day arudlang,

Thanks for your response. My Jeep has the Uconnect 4C Nav 8.4 inch UAQ radio however it does not have the Mirror with the SOS and Assist buttons on it. I am thinking that I may be able to get the mirror and swap it out and I know that they can reprogram the radio unit for my specific Vin because they do it all the time at Infotainment.com for the OEM radios that they sell. So the radio unit i have should have the ability to use Gaurdian services it just needs a software update and then connect the mirror with the buttons and have jeep add my vin to the gaurdian service data base and then boom activate the service.

When I spoke to my dealer about it they contacted their Technical Support that their technicians call for help and they said that Jeep was in the process of working out a way to add the feature after the fact but that it would not be available until later in 2018.

Now this is all assuming that the telematics module that the Siriusxm Gaurdian services uses is built into the Radio Unit which i believe it is because if you go into the Dealer Menu's which can be accessed pressing and holding specific climate control buttons it show that the radio has a EMI number which is what is used by a cellular provider to provide a device access to their network. I was hoping that someone on here may be able to confirm that the Telematic module that the Guardian Services uses is indeed built into the radio unit? Or if it is not built into the Radio where would it be located in the vehicle so that i can check my vehicle to see if i have one or not.

Thanks,
Chad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 01-10-2018, 09:37 PM

Chad,

Are you saying you have a navigation-enabled Compass without the SXM Guardian feature? I did not think Jeep separated those two features in the Compass, but I admit I have only researched the models offered in the United States.

Quote:
it just needs a software update and then connect the mirror with the buttons and have jeep add my vin to the gaurdian service data base and then boom activate the service.
... Well, keep telling yourself that, it just may come true. I remain pessimistic but if you do have a UAQ radio then you have a much, much better chance of getting it to work in yours than I ever will with my UAM radio. Good luck!
post #5 of 5 Old 01-11-2018, 02:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by arudlang View Post
Chad,

Are you saying you have a navigation-enabled Compass without the SXM Guardian feature? I did not think Jeep separated those two features in the Compass, but I admit I have only researched the models offered in the United States.

... Well, keep telling yourself that, it just may come true. I remain pessimistic but if you do have a UAQ radio then you have a much, much better chance of getting it to work in yours than I ever will with my UAM radio. Good luck!

Good Day arudlang,

Yes my jeep has the built in navigation. As i mentioned in my original post I went to the Jeep US website and built a Jeep Compass with all the same options and Customer Preferred packages on it and then searched the US inventory and found an exact match to my Compass. I then took the VIN from that US vehicle and went to build sheet tool on the Jeep Website and entered both my VIN and the US compass VIN into the build sheet lookup tool and they were both identical except the US one had the 12 month trial for Siriusxm Guardian Service on the build sheet and the 5 year sub of Siriusxm Travel Link and Siriusxm Traffic.

Now Assuming that there is no difference in the Package codes between Canada and the US because both vehicle had the 2DJ and 27J packages my jeep should have all the same equipment that the US compass has. The only other difference between the 2 is that here in Canada the badging is different. In Canada it is badged as the North Edition and in the US it badged as the Latitude Edition. Both have the 8.4 inch Uconnect 4C with built in Nav.

I am not sure about your UAM unit but if it is the 8.4 inch Uconnect 4C system according to a Press Release From FCA's Corporate Website dated September 1 of 2017 ( i would provide link but system wont let me) any 2018 model year Jeep Compass equipped with the Uconnect 4C 8.4 inch or Uconnect 4C Nav 8.4 inch will be able to use the Siriusxm Guardian Service. I would talk to your Dealer if the system you have is the 8.4 inch Uconnect 4C and see if you can get the trial activated on your Compass.

Maybe I am fooling myself but from what I have researched over the last few weeks and from what I have heard from my dealer there it is a high probability that my Compass should be able to use this service. When I went to pick up the Compass on Dec.15th last month they even had their Head Technician call into FCA Technical Support and ask them about it because I told them about the Media Release that I found and FCA Technical Support told them that the feature will be available in the new year for my vehicle.

If I ever hear back from FCA Customer Care I will be sure to share what they have to say with you as well.

Thanks and have a great day,

Chad

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in