Terrified - Jeep Compass Forum
 7Likes
  • 2 Post By arudlang
  • 1 Post By BrandoP71
  • 1 Post By acastleberry
  • 1 Post By CompassSportMan
  • 1 Post By Sodner
  • 1 Post By BigD62
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 13 Old 01-25-2018, 01:21 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 25
 
Terrified

Hello Everyone,
I'm here for a gut check. I have been looking for a new "mini" SUV and through the Jeep website feel in love with the Jeep Compass. It seems to be a leader in technology, I mean what doesn't that infotainment UConnect system do? And I love the shrunk down looks of the Cherokee, two tone paint job and the whole Jeep legend. BUT I'm a lifelong Honda guy. CRX, Civic's and CR-V's and I gotta be honest, I'm worried about reliability. I see some posts on here of what seem to be systemic problems with that cool infotainment system, as well as many other issues. I know most people on come to forums for help with problems, but man when I read about a some of these issues and Jeeps inability to resolve them, I get worried.

Guess I could use some "I love my Compass" posts to talk me down from the CR-V ledge.
Sodner is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 13 Old 01-25-2018, 03:16 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 759
 
Welcome!

To be honest, we are all kinda out on a leap of faith on this one because the 2nd gen Compass is all new. Nobody can comment real specifically on reliability yet, very few of us even have more than 10k miles on ours.

Now, the handful of people who have had problems are very vocal (as you would expect) and their stories can be disheartening but they truly are just a handful when you consider they are averaging almost 10,000 Compasses being sold per month right now. Thousands upon thousands of people are happily driving theirs around without issue.

Now for Honda v. FCA; We are Honda fans in our household as well. We have a 2016 Civic EX-T and I used to have a CRZ before that. Great little commuter cars. My mother has a 2016 CR-V and she really likes it, but she also really likes my Compass. She would be a Compass convert if it were not for the fact that the CR-V gets slightly better gas mileage and the Compass has no side-view camera. She is crazy about her side-view camera, won't give it up. Now that the new CR-Vs don't come with the side camera I'm not sure what she will do, drive her 2016 into the ground I guess.

Although some people have experienced glitches with the Uconnect system, myself included, I would say even with the occasional glitch its still simply done better than Honda's infotainment. My only recurring glitch in the Compass is that sometimes the heated steering wheel doesn't turn off the first time I press the virtual button on the screen. No big whoop, may be fixed by an update at some point. But going back and forth between our Civic and our Compass, the Compass is laid out much, much better. Our Civic has no volume knob, which is about the dumbest thing they ever thought of. Our Civic also has no option to turn the screen off for long periods of night driving, but our Jeep does. The Civic requires you to manipulate almost all of the heating and cooling controls through the screen, meaning you have to switch away from navigation or music or whatever you may be currently using the screen for to bump the fan up or down a notch. Lame! In the Compass you have it both ways, there are physical controls or digital controls if you prefer. 99% of the time I prefer the physical controls. There is a year of difference, but the screen quality in the Jeep Uconnect is leaps and bounds better than our Civic as well, and better from what I can see than my mother's CRV which is similar. The steering wheel controls are also better on the Jeep.

Overall I find the Compass to be notably superior in most respects. The Compass is everything I had hoped and wished the Honda HRV would be back when they announced it. When the specs came out on the HRV it was clear it was one step too car-like for me. I want the technology and creature comforts and smoothness but I need to be able to do a bit of towing and hauling, and although I can get by on basic AWD I would prefer a more comprehensive and advanced system like the Compass has since I live out in the woods and like to go places when really bad weather hits, and I want to be able to adventure freely.

All in all, hard to go wrong either way. If gas mileage is a deal breaker you will find the CR-V does notably better but there is so much more capability in the Compass by way of towing capacity and adventuring. Personally I prefer the slightly smaller size of the Compass as well. I wanted something more HRV-sized with the capabilities and Honda did not provide it but Jeep did.
db2016jeep and BrandoP71 like this.
arudlang is offline  
post #3 of 13 Old 01-25-2018, 05:35 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 48
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by arudlang View Post
Welcome!

To be honest, we are all kinda out on a leap of faith on this one because the 2nd gen Compass is all new. Nobody can comment real specifically on reliability yet, very few of us even have more than 10k miles on ours.

Now, the handful of people who have had problems are very vocal (as you would expect) and their stories can be disheartening but they truly are just a handful when you consider they are averaging almost 10,000 Compasses being sold per month right now. Thousands upon thousands of people are happily driving theirs around without issue.

Now for Honda v. FCA; We are Honda fans in our household as well. We have a 2016 Civic EX-T and I used to have a CRZ before that. Great little commuter cars. My mother has a 2016 CR-V and she really likes it, but she also really likes my Compass. She would be a Compass convert if it were not for the fact that the CR-V gets slightly better gas mileage and the Compass has no side-view camera. She is crazy about her side-view camera, won't give it up. Now that the new CR-Vs don't come with the side camera I'm not sure what she will do, drive her 2016 into the ground I guess.

Although some people have experienced glitches with the Uconnect system, myself included, I would say even with the occasional glitch its still simply done better than Honda's infotainment. My only recurring glitch in the Compass is that sometimes the heated steering wheel doesn't turn off the first time I press the virtual button on the screen. No big whoop, may be fixed by an update at some point. But going back and forth between our Civic and our Compass, the Compass is laid out much, much better. Our Civic has no volume knob, which is about the dumbest thing they ever thought of. Our Civic also has no option to turn the screen off for long periods of night driving, but our Jeep does. The Civic requires you to manipulate almost all of the heating and cooling controls through the screen, meaning you have to switch away from navigation or music or whatever you may be currently using the screen for to bump the fan up or down a notch. Lame! In the Compass you have it both ways, there are physical controls or digital controls if you prefer. 99% of the time I prefer the physical controls. There is a year of difference, but the screen quality in the Jeep Uconnect is leaps and bounds better than our Civic as well, and better from what I can see than my mother's CRV which is similar. The steering wheel controls are also better on the Jeep.

Overall I find the Compass to be notably superior in most respects. The Compass is everything I had hoped and wished the Honda HRV would be back when they announced it. When the specs came out on the HRV it was clear it was one step too car-like for me. I want the technology and creature comforts and smoothness but I need to be able to do a bit of towing and hauling, and although I can get by on basic AWD I would prefer a more comprehensive and advanced system like the Compass has since I live out in the woods and like to go places when really bad weather hits, and I want to be able to adventure freely.

All in all, hard to go wrong either way. If gas mileage is a deal breaker you will find the CR-V does notably better but there is so much more capability in the Compass by way of towing capacity and adventuring. Personally I prefer the slightly smaller size of the Compass as well. I wanted something more HRV-sized with the capabilities and Honda did not provide it but Jeep did.
As one of the vocal individuals with probably one of the most severe cases with our '18 (fix is still in progress), I can say we are very vocal because we WANT to love this car. And I 100% agree that statistically there are far more of these SUVs on the road without issue than those with issues.

FCA seems to be doing what they can to make it right for me. From what I can see more frustrations with others on the forum seem exponentially compounded by poor dealer experiences - and that's something that can span across any brand.
arudlang likes this.
BrandoP71 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 13 Old 01-26-2018, 09:57 PM
Junior Member
 
acastleberry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 4
 
I can't speak to the "cool infotainment system" in the Compass, mine was a 2009 Rallye edition before they started putting all the gadgets in. I did manage 215,000 mostly trouble free miles out of it before I traded it for a 2018 Cherokee. Biggest problem for me, and the only reason I got rid of the Compass, was the transmission. It was the CVT, which I don't think they're putting in the new ones now.
db2016jeep likes this.
acastleberry is offline  
post #5 of 13 Old 02-02-2018, 04:50 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 25
 
Acastleberry: Did you get 215k out of your original CVT? Our CVT "went south" in our 2008 Compass @ 75k miles, and FCA honored the lifetime drivetrain warranty! The total replacement didn't cost me a dime, and I even got a free rental out Chrysler.

The car now has almost 160k on it, and is still going strong. I'm thinking of getting the CVT fluid flushed/replaced by the dealer this spring when it goes back in for the mandory "every 5 years" free checkup. I'd LOVE to get another 3+ years out of our 2008 Compass, since it's now our 3rd vehicle and looks practically like new.

FYI - I think it's in need of engine mounts though at this point, since I get some weird torque steer moments upon heavy accleration / deaccleration that never used to occur.

And FYI - FCA covered a complete sub-frame front/back replacement on it 2 years ago, due to the heavy corrosion that us northerner's are reporting. The funny thing is - the rest of the car (even the non-subframe undercarriage) is rust free!

I will attest that unlike my previous experience with Ford vehicles (which I grew up loving!), the various iterations of Chrysler has stood by their products, IMHO!

-CompassSportMan
db2016jeep likes this.
CompassSportMan is offline  
post #6 of 13 Old 02-03-2018, 03:34 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 25
 
Well once I looked at it in person and drove it, my mind was made up. Hopefully it has the reliability I'm looking for. Thanks all for your comments.
db2016jeep likes this.
Sodner is offline  
post #7 of 13 Old 02-09-2018, 02:17 AM
Junior Member
 
db2016jeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 6
 
Garage
Love my Jeep

This is in reply to the original poster Sodner.

I'm in my 15th year of auto sales. Currently at a Mazda/Volvo store in southern California. I worked 11 of those years at one dealership back in IL where I'm from and we had Buick, Cadillac, GMC and Honda. So I have 11 years of working with Honda. I drive a Jeep! Everyone has an opinion and certain likes. For me, I like a box for style and I look for low (low!!) cost of ownership but with a fun edge. I like what makes me feel more rugged instead of like I'm driving an appliance. I love my Jeep.

However, going back to your original concerns: It looks like the other posters may have given you good food for thought. And, it seems like you may have decided to go with the new Compass. Congrats! But let me share a little from a whole different level. As I said above, I am now working at a Mazda and Volvo store. The Mazda's are good, but not great. Everyone brags about the way they (referring more to the CX5) drive and being more "sporty" than many of the other SUV/CUV's out there. Although not at all bad, I just don't see it and I drive many miles in them delivering them all over the area. At the end of the day, I am always quite happy getting back into my 2016 Jeep Patriot (same basic car as the old compass). I've had mine since new (2 years and 14,000 miles ago) and not any issues yet or ever. I must note however that my car does NOT have a screen or any real infotainment system. It has Bluetooth and plays my music on my phone no problem, but that's it and I love it that way. Here's why: As I said, I also work with Volvo's. They all now have the big center screen (their version or U-connect) and it's always acting up. I've never seen so many cars with so many issues! I love driving the Volvo's, but will not buy one based on what I see and have experienced. I say all this because no matter who makes it, if you put an ipad like screen in a car it's going to give some type of problems! Just take a look at your computers (work, home, laptop, etc). How often do you have to "re-boot" or turn off the darn thing to reset it? How often is there an issue? How often do they crash? Maybe not every day, but let's look at it this way. If our cars went down or crashed (as in computer ways!! lol) half as often as our computers do, we'd be in a world of hurt. No way around it and the more screens/computer related stuff they stick in our cars, the more issues we will all have and that certainly includes anything from Honda or Toyota and any brand.

Bottom line as you have probably guessed by now? I would highly recommend a Jeep and my model too. Great vehicles and the Jeep family of people who drive them are the best. Good luck.

Dan.
db2016jeep is offline  
post #8 of 13 Old 02-10-2018, 04:20 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 150
 
If you don't mind going to the dealership for the first two months of ownership to work the bugs out then this car is for you.
mikeexelby is offline  
post #9 of 13 Old 02-10-2018, 05:27 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 11
 
Just leased a 2018 compass last month. As of 24hours ago the Uconnect keeps turning off and on. Doesn't stay on for longer than 2min. So no radio,nav, sirius..etc. After calling Uconnect they would only say they know there is a problem. Finally got through to my dealer service dept and they said they have had several complaints on the 2018 and it is being listed as a possible recall. Don't have an appt until near end of month sadly.

Outside of that, love the ride and handling of it. I have previously had 2 toyota rav4 which were great also. Compass little smaller width wide. Bit of a gas guzzler.

I hope once they get the Uconnect settled that I can really enjoy it all.
WHATADAYTHISIS is offline  
post #10 of 13 Old 02-10-2018, 09:09 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 34
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeexelby View Post
If you don't mind going to the dealership for the first two months of ownership to work the bugs out then this car is for you.

First 5 months for me ...
NorthCoastie19 is offline  
post #11 of 13 Old 02-11-2018, 03:33 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 6
 
I have had mine about a month and I absolutely love it. I have a Challenger RT Classic also. I bought the Compass to be my winter driver. I usually don't drive my winter car in the summer because I drive my Challenger all the time. However I like the Compass so much my Challenger will just be my weekend car and I will be driving it less this summer. I never thought I would like the Compass so much. My wife and I were out for walk and she asked me if I got insurance on the Compass loan. I said no. I said if anything happens to me just sell it and the Challenger and pay of the loan. She said she would sell her fully loaded Ford Explorer and keep the Jeep. She is very very picky and she loves the Jeep also. Hey man it is your money but I would definitely recommend buying a Jeep Compass!
Trigga05Trey likes this.
BigD62 is offline  
post #12 of 13 Old 02-12-2018, 09:46 PM
Senior Member
 
JeepCares's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 389
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by WHATADAYTHISIS View Post
Just leased a 2018 compass last month. As of 24hours ago the Uconnect keeps turning off and on. Doesn't stay on for longer than 2min. So no radio,nav, sirius..etc. After calling Uconnect they would only say they know there is a problem. Finally got through to my dealer service dept and they said they have had several complaints on the 2018 and it is being listed as a possible recall. Don't have an appt until near end of month sadly.
Outside of that, love the ride and handling of it. I have previously had 2 toyota rav4 which were great also. Compass little smaller width wide. Bit of a gas guzzler.
I hope once they get the Uconnect settled that I can really enjoy it all.
Hi WHATADAYTHISIS,
Please know that we are aware of this concern and are working on it. We would like to make sure everything is documented properly within our systems and it is passed along to the appropriate teams. Please send us a private message with your VIN.
Julie
Jeep Social Care Specialist
JeepCares is online now  
post #13 of 13 Old 02-13-2018, 12:55 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 25
 
Well as an update. The Jeep Compass I love is already having issues. Man I hope I don't come to regret this. I haven't even made 1 of the 60 car payments yet!!!! The Uconnect is stuck on! It started with the backup cam not coming on when I got out of work. Then when I did get home and turned off the car the Uconnect still "glows". I just can't believe this.
Sodner is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome