My Jeep Compass Forum banner

Lost my lone key...what to do?

8K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  mastermech 
#1 ·
I bought my 2007 Compass three years ago used (obviously) and it only came with one key. I kept meaning to make another but never got around to it, but always kept good track of it so it didn't matter. I took it in to the shop the other day for state inspection and took the key off my key chain. When i got home i swear I put it somewhere normal, like my pocket, but when I was emptying them out for the night I couldn't find the key! I've been searching and searching for two days now and coming up empty. I called an auto locksmith and he said that it will be at least $300 to make a new one, even though it doesn't have a remote clicker or anything, it is just a transponder chip key. Should I go through a Jeep dealer? I did not buy it at a Jeep dealership. What other options might I have?

Thanks!

#5 ·
DO NOT PANICK! Go to the dealer with your VIN and proof that it's your vehicle. It's easy for them to get your factory key codes. Search online (ebay etc) to get a key with a FOB that has your options your original had. The new key FOB will be blank and will be easy for the dealer or a locksmith to cut for you. Then you will have to activate it. If you have any questions contact me. I will be glad to help via a PM. Marty

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.