GPS Nav question... - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 7 Old 12-20-2007, 10:18 PM Thread Starter

GPS Nav question...

Greetings:

Just put in an order for a brand spaking new 2008 Compass Limited with every option selectable, and was wondering if the GPS system has a "default" mode when you're not in a city with maps available?...

Thanks,
RW.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-21-2007, 04:12 AM

Re: GPS Nav question...

There's no maps for the Yukon? Do you mean really small towns?
post #3 of 7 Old 12-21-2007, 05:27 PM Thread Starter

Well, I'm not sure about the level of detail for the maps in the North... When I look at the information relating to the GPS feature, it says this:

"Geography currently covered includes: eastern provinces to New Brunswick (partial coverage in the Atlantic area); western provinces to Vancouver; metropolitan areas of all other provinces and limited coverage of northern portions of all provinces."

I don't know if that means us or not, and really I'm not too worried about maps for up here, but would like to know if there's a "default" when a map isn't available that provides basic information, speed, heading, etc...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 12-21-2007, 06:25 PM

Where in the Yukon you in? I used to live in Whitehorse. Google maps has the major streets listed but alot of the data comes from US companies so anything out of there is probably missing.
post #5 of 7 Old 12-21-2007, 10:19 PM Thread Starter

Just south of Whitehorse... Do a lot of highway travelling... Really we want the Nav system for when we go south, but it would be nice to know your general location...

Does anyone know who makes the Nav unit?... Garmin, Magellan, another company?...

Thanks,
RW.
post #6 of 7 Old 12-22-2007, 12:18 AM

There seems to be two nav manufacturers. Sounds like Alpine makes the nav units (for an 06 Ram & Jeep Liberty) and Harmon International (Liberty again). Well that's what I've heard

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Ne ... eId=107090
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Jeep_Liber ... Head_Units

Interesting tidbit. I removed the stock "base" CD/MP3 player from my 2007 Ranger. It had the brand Pioneer on the sticker on the bottom. When you get the "upgraded" head unit, it's actually branded Pioneer right on the front. Marketing eh?....
post #7 of 7 Old 12-24-2007, 02:30 PM

My Neon was broken into and the dip S*&$s tried to take the sterio out with a screwdriver. Bashed up tape deck pretty bad. Concidently my deck in the truck (semi) went at the same time, which was a Pioneer with the weather band. I got a new deck from the office for the truck and took the weather band one home. The tape deck unit from the deck in my car was still intact, although the outer casing was smashed, and it was a simple swap of the two components. Inside the "Stock" deck from the car was a Pinoeer branding.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in