Compass for daughter - Jeep Compass Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By mikeexelby

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 18 Old 06-21-2018, 12:33 AM Thread Starter

Compass for daughter

Hi,just joined the forum, and looking for any input on the subject of used models. I am looking at 2 Certified Pre-Owned Compass models. Both are 2016, one is a Sport 4x4 with 49,000 miles. 2.4L engine and 6 speed transmission. The other is a Latitude FWD, 25,000 miles and has a 2.0L with CVT. Not familiar with either engine/trains combination. Looking for pros and cons of these 2 vehicles to help me decide. Will be driven by my daughter, a new driver. No off road driving, Michigan winters would be the most it would see. Not so much concerned with 4wd vs. FWD, more so the engine and trans. Both are priced approximately the same amount. Any input on this would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 06-21-2018, 01:17 AM

Hello Fellow Michigan Resident. Stay away from the 2.4L, get the 2.0L.
10-64 likes this.
post #3 of 18 Old 06-21-2018, 05:02 PM

I always say to people to drive a CVT before buying a CVT as they are something that some people really donít get on with. This is in general and not just a Jeep thing.

They work well enough and are simple (and therefore normally reliable). But, they can drone and revs can can up and down when you donít expect. This is normal for many CVT boxes and they drive simply and smoothly enough for the most part but some people just donít get on with the characteristics.

If you drive one and it feels to you like itís a normal auto then you have nothing to worry about.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 06-24-2018, 12:11 PM

The 2.0 and 2.4 are essentially the same engine, but the CVT is very different than the 6 speed auto. In used car pricing, generally, the 6 speed adds to the value of the vehicle while the CVT detracts from it. That said, most people can't tell the difference any how.
4wd is a huge advantage anywhere that receives snow. For example if you are pulling on to a busy street from a driveway, say, a 2wd vehicle may spin its tires on snow or ice and you may find yourself only halfway on to the road when oncoming traffic arrives. A 4wd just goes. However the priority should be a good set of winter tires first, 4wd second, if you have to choose.
post #5 of 18 Old 07-16-2018, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeexelby View Post
Hello Fellow Michigan Resident. Stay away from the 2.4L, get the 2.0L.
Any reason in particular?
post #6 of 18 Old 07-17-2018, 10:09 PM

My '08 has the 2.4L with a CVT, and overall we've been pleased with it. It currently has 162k miles on it, and engine-wise has been totally reliable the 10 years we've owned it.

Our only complaints about the engine is that the gas mileage is kind of "meh" - about 22-23 around town, and it developed the well-known "mild engine shake" at stops while in gear at around 100k. This may be due to worn engine mounts, which I plan on having checked out.

Thankfully, as original owners, we have the Lifetime Powertrain Warranty, and at 75k miles a new CVT had to be installed - at no cost. The replacement tranny will soon be 90k and is holding up fine. I plan on having the CVT fluid changed at around 95-100k miles (on that trans).

The two biggest weak spots overall in the 1st Gen Compass that I can see were crappy lower front control arms where the bushings wear out prematurely AND the dreaded sub-frame rust-out in the Northern states that use salt. Ours experienced both, and thankfully FCA paid for the entire subframe repair.

-CSM
post #7 of 18 Old 07-19-2018, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarfman4 View Post
Any reason in particular?
2.0L it just a better engine overall. 2.4L is absolutely horrendous IMO. Doesn't matter the GEN.
post #8 of 18 Old 07-19-2018, 03:49 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
2.0L it just a better engine overall. 2.4L is absolutely horrendous IMO. Doesn't matter the GEN.
That makes me feel more at ease. I always felt shafted by getting the 2.0L although I really donít have any complaints about it yet.

2016 Jeep Compass Latitude - 2.0L, CVT, Deep Cherry Red
My first Jeep, so please be kind.
post #9 of 18 Old 07-24-2018, 10:25 PM

What would you say is "horrendous" about the 2.4L? I'm not trying to be defensive or combative - I'm just curious to know the specifics so I can compare them to my own experience(s)- as WELL as to be "on guard" for something I haven't experienced yet. Mine's the old-school 2008 DaimlerChrysler model of the World Motor. The Tigershark has a complex all-FCA upper end on the motor - which I'm wondering is some of your problem(s)?

Thanks!

-CSM

Last edited by CompassSportMan; 07-24-2018 at 11:05 PM.
post #10 of 18 Old 07-24-2018, 11:02 PM

Btw Mike - I just read your "Book of Job"-like experience with your 2nd Gen Compass. HOLY COW! My 24 year-old daughter was looking at the Compass after leasing 2 Jeep Patriots the last 4 years. I *think* I will be counseling her to broaden her selection list to include a few more models/brands! Bummer for you, regarding that cluster-bleep experience!

-CSM
post #11 of 18 Old 09-14-2018, 04:03 PM

Thanks for sharing the information..
post #12 of 18 Old 09-15-2018, 04:12 AM

Location: Two locations in NH: One near Concord, the other at the 45th.

Quote:
The 2.0 is a 2.4 with cylinder sleeves inserted. Otherwise the same motor. I've had both.
My 2008 2.4 went to 300,000 with no problems. Got about 29mpg overall. CVT has a life expectancy of about 150,000 miles.
Wife's 2.0 does about 10% better on fuel economy, but with the 5-spd there's a lot of downshifting on hills.
post #13 of 18 Old 09-15-2018, 11:11 AM

Wow
post #14 of 18 Old 09-15-2018, 11:12 AM

good post

nice work ..
post #15 of 18 Old 09-15-2018, 11:13 AM

It's really nice ..... good post.....
post #16 of 18 Old 09-15-2018, 11:14 AM

wowlk,vmdmblm lk.,mv l.,mvlk.,mvfkl,.madv/kl.e,mvlk.,mvld.m lkv,m kl,.vmakj,nvf kjevnk,nv jkv,mn kj,mvn akjfv k,mfnd k,mv kj,mv kjv,mn kjfv k, krvn k,v kj,v km,v kjdf,mvn kjf k,m kje,vn kj,nfv k ,nvfk,dvn kj,
post #17 of 18 Old 09-15-2018, 11:31 AM

rfikdvjm porvjmdiok,n lvjm klm kl,jrm kl,n kvdn kl,vnd kj vn jkn kjnerwklvhiuerfvn kj briekjdsbm kjm nkjhvn kjnfkj bejkfmb jbijkevnikejb0oen uhvniknjvolof
post #18 of 18 Old 09-15-2018, 07:20 PM

Location: Two locations in NH: One near Concord, the other at the 45th.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieWheeler View Post
rfikdvjm porvjmdiok,n lvjm klm kl,jrm kl,n kvdn kl,vnd kj vn jkn kjnerwklvhiuerfvn kj briekjdsbm kjm nkjhvn kjnfkj bejkfmb jbijkevnikejb0oen uhvniknjvolof
Thanks DixieWheeler for sharing that dazzling info. I've always felt that mumbo jumbo is key to understanding partially fractionalized moritfals, myself. But that's only my opinion. Others may have better insight.

Only a suggestion, but you might want to keep your hamster off your keyboard.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in