6Likes
  • 3 Post By Aadavis94
  • 1 Post By Wolfy
  • 1 Post By wpabon1
  • 1 Post By mastermech

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 17 Old 07-15-2018, 08:08 PM Thread Starter

Is Compass hate deserved?

Everywhere I look online there is so much hatred of the first gen Compass. Thereís even a site thatís called ďBurn in hell, CompassĒ.

I havenít had mine long enough to form a full opinion yet. So Iím asking the owners in this group who have experience.

Does the first gen Compass deserve this reputation? Does the hate taper off towards the later years or is it standard throughout?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 07-16-2018, 02:24 AM

Garage
I think the hate is from the first ones have numerous problems. And that since it’s a Jeep people think it should be able to go anywhere. They don’t get it wasn’t made to go rock crawling and through three feet of mud. I have a 2016 so it’s a late gen 1. So far it’s been a very decent car and I’ve taken it places it probably wasn’t meant to go. So over all I think no it doesn’t deserve the hate it gets.
zoner99, 10-64 and Jasmine like this.
post #3 of 17 Old 07-16-2018, 03:49 AM

Well, the CVT can act weird at times, but other than the poorly-fitting plastics (mine is a rebuilt, 2016), it's pretty good. I thought the rear end was a bit ugly, then the 2nd gen Compass came out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 07-19-2018, 01:24 AM

I have a 2012 4X4 with the CVT. It was a Hertz rental for 8 months before I bought it with 26,000 miles. It has been in the shop one time. The water pump seal was leaking. I had to replace the rear right wheel bearing. I have replaced the brake pads all around and am on the second set of tires. It now has 78,000 miles on it. I have never had to add oil between changes. Took a trip from Houston to northern Arkansas last week and got 27.7 MPG on one fill and 28.0 on the return fill. Mind you it was cool in the morning and I ran without the air on. It normally gets 21 MPG around local driving. So for the price and 5 years I can't complain. Thanks
post #5 of 17 Old 07-19-2018, 01:55 AM

I think the styling of the 1st gen was pretty cute especially the front end. People probably hate is because they think it was as off roadish as a wrangler. Not to mention that people though that a CVT would be as sturdy as a manual or an automatic, you know how people are. They went into the mind frame that a CVT could take the abuse of a manual probably raced the hell out of it until it failed.
post #6 of 17 Old 07-19-2018, 03:30 AM Thread Starter

One of the main complaints is that by the end of its run the design was “long in the tooth” meaning it wasn’t keeping up with the competition. I like to think that the positive side to that is being around as long as it was gave Jeep more chances to tweak the design and correct the main issues that gave it such a bad reputation. It falls under the philosophy of ANY new vehicle that the first year or two of a new design should be avoided so the bugs can be worked out in later years.

So even though the later 1st Gens were not top of the line they definitely have improved over their early days. (At least that’s what I keep telling myself. )

2016 Jeep Compass Latitude - 2.0L, CVT, Deep Cherry Red
My first Jeep, so please be kind.

Last edited by scarfman4; 07-19-2018 at 03:33 AM.
post #7 of 17 Old 07-19-2018, 05:09 AM

I have a 2007 Jeep Compass that I purchased in October of 2006. Other than routine maintenance I haven't had any problems with it. I have 137000+ miles on it and expect to get many more. I don't try to take it out on the trails much, so that might be part of it's longevity.

The only issues that I have with it is that passengers have always complained that the A/C doesn't get the back seats very cold. Being as I am driving I can't speak to that much as it always seems plenty cold where I sit.

Now it isn't a screamer down the highway by any means, but it has done what I have needed it to going on 12 years. On my commute to/from work if I keep to the right and act like the aging gent I seem to becoming (according to my boys) I get 28 - 30 mpg. But if I get impatient and/or end up in bumper to bumper traffic that average drops to about 24 - 25 mpg. In town it always seems to show 22. And even though it says Jeep on it I have never really looked at it in the same light as I would a "Jeep".

For me it's been a nice little car.
post #8 of 17 Old 07-20-2018, 07:36 PM

I love my 2014 Latitude 4x4, especially the 6 speed automatic transmission and the wonderful Boston Acoustics sound system. I think it's the best looking small SUV on the road, except for the big gap between the hood and the fenders. It's been trouble free so far (36k miles), tracks straight and true, and has plenty of power for the way I drive.I also like that it was assembled in the US by Union workers. Negatives are poor mileage, around 20mph city, cheap plastic at side of seat bottoms, and somewhat blocked visibility at the corners. Anyway, as an octogenarian, it's probably my last car and I do love it.
post #9 of 17 Old 07-21-2018, 12:13 AM

I spent two months in a late first gen Compass as a rental when my Dart was having accident damage fixed. The vehicle came to be when Chrysler was pretty much in the mode of push any trash out there that they think they can con the public into buying. It was never competitive with the competition when it was released, not to mention that it had one of the most solid dunkings in the ugly bucket since GM foisted the Asstek on the public. Over the years, they got rid of the CVT and fixed the looks, which brings me to the time I had one as a rental. Very quickly, I christened it "the Gremlin" as it reminded me of the 1970's AMC "economy" thing that rattled and buzzed around the roads when I was a kid. I found it to be a vehicle that I wanted to like, but just little things kept me scratching my head and putting me off. By the end of two months, I was ready to be rid of it. Still, it put them on the radar as Jalopnik started posting articles on the redesigned model. THAT one got my attention, enough so that I found myself specing and pricing them. When my Partner and I moved in together, it was decided that we needed to dump the Dart before the accident found its way onto carfax and autocheck, rendering it worth the approximate value of a soggy newspaper. We stumbled across an orange one at a dealer while setting up a time to get the new key fob reprogrammed by the dealer for the beater P.T. Cruiser (the old one was dead so I was going to be forced to have the new one done by them). We went in and took it for a test drive, and consequently drove it home instead of the Dart. The 2nd gen isn't even in the same universe as the first gen Compass, and all for the better. I won't put hate on the 1st gen model. It was obviously successful just judging by the sheer numbers of them on the road. Still, Chrysler is Chrysler, and the "fun" keeps going as people heap hate on the "fiat" side of FCA, because it's "cool" to do so. Is the hate deserved? Yes, and no. Some complaints are valid, and that goes for the 2nd gen models as FCA obviously did little to no testing on some of the equipment in extreme environments. Other's hate because they can and they think it makes them sound cool. Look at articles that compare the Compass with other similar CUV's. They'll bitch about how slow the Compass is when the specs are dead in line with the Toyota/Honda offerings on performance, of which they applaud the performance of those cars.
Cecil Patrick likes this.
post #10 of 17 Old 09-14-2018, 04:00 PM

Great information shared..
post #11 of 17 Old 09-15-2018, 04:20 AM

Location: Two locations in NH: One near Concord, the other at the 45th.

No, the hate is not deserved. Most are fine but like anything, some had problems and those owners are quite vocal.

I've had two Patriots ('08 & '14) which are essentially the same as the first generation Compass. Both were good machines.

CVT in the '08 was replaced twice under warranty -- didn't cost me a dime so no complaints from me.
Still got the 2014 with the 5-spd. Just shy of 100,000 miles. No problems, still on original brakes.
post #12 of 17 Old 09-16-2018, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarfman4 View Post
Everywhere I look online there is so much hatred of the first gen Compass. There’s even a site that’s called “Burn in hell, Compass”.

I haven’t had mine long enough to form a full opinion yet. So I’m asking the owners in this group who have experience.

Does the first gen Compass deserve this reputation? Does the hate taper off towards the later years or is it standard throughout?
I owned a 2012 Compass and didn’t have an issues. It did what I needed to do. It was different than other models out on the market. I never knew what the big deal people had with the Compass first Gen? Like everything else if you take care of the compass it will run great. Did people really expect the compass was going to be as capable as a Wrangler?? My Compass got me out of snow and minor flooded roads, Was it perfect?.... No it wasn’t and the second Gen proofs that. I’ve had great memories with my 2012 Compass. I love my new one and hope to make more wonderful memories. For those who had bad luck, I’m sorry to hear that. I must have been lucky to get one with no issues. I always follow was the owners manual on taking care of the vehicle. I always say you take care of it and it will take care of you.
Jasmine likes this.
post #13 of 17 Old 11-19-2018, 04:01 PM

Yes, it is deserved hatred. I previously had a Grand Cherokee (96) and its still on the road with 200k miles. I understood going in how to take care of a jeep and that this wasn't as tough a vehicle and really a more urban crossover. However, I did not expect the major defects and the fact that Jeep would sell a seriously dangerous vehicle. My cross member is shot. Passed inspection last year but failed in October of this year. Now, I find out from the dealer that there was a warranty but too late for me. Prior to this a series of smaller but important issues developed. I will never buy another Jeep.
post #14 of 17 Old 11-20-2018, 04:51 PM

My 2016 Lattitude has 16,000 miles and has been perfect. Rides better than my wife's Rogue. The only complaint is gas mileage, no highway, about 19, on highway 26. It's not fast, but it is comfortable. At $83.00 a month on a lease, I am planning to buy it next year when the lease is over.
post #15 of 17 Old 11-21-2018, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by softhds1 View Post
My 2016 Lattitude has 16,000 miles and has been perfect. Rides better than my wife's Rogue. The only complaint is gas mileage, no highway, about 19, on highway 26. It's not fast, but it is comfortable. At $83.00 a month on a lease, I am planning to buy it next year when the lease is over.
That's virtually free! You got a good deal.
post #16 of 17 Old 11-22-2018, 06:03 AM

I recently (5 months ago) purchased a 2014 Jeep Compass Lattitude that had 17000 miles on it and I love it! I am a Master ASE certified automobile technician, and a die hard GM man and I am very critical of any vehicle. Having spent the last 45 years in the repair and parts side of the business I have just about seen it all. This is a great vehicle with 0 problems. It's actually my wife's vehicle and she has put 10,000 miles on it in that short time! My only complaint is the fuel mileage. Other than that I am happy with it. NOTE to all of you vehicle owners, USE SYNTHETIC OIL! The engine will last a long, long time. I have taken many engines apart that used this oil and have seen almost no wear. I have NEVER seen a lubrication failure on any engine that used synthetic oil. Also when servicing your trans, use synthetic fluid as well.
Jasmine likes this.

Last edited by mastermech; 11-22-2018 at 06:05 AM.
post #17 of 17 Old 11-22-2018, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermech View Post
I recently (5 months ago) purchased a 2014 Jeep Compass Lattitude that had 17000 miles on it and I love it! I am a Master ASE certified automobile technician, and a die hard GM man and I am very critical of any vehicle. Having spent the last 45 years in the repair and parts side of the business I have just about seen it all. This is a great vehicle with 0 problems. It's actually my wife's vehicle and she has put 10,000 miles on it in that short time! My only complaint is the fuel mileage. Other than that I am happy with it. NOTE to all of you vehicle owners, USE SYNTHETIC OIL! The engine will last a long, long time. I have taken many engines apart that used this oil and have seen almost no wear. I have NEVER seen a lubrication failure on any engine that used synthetic oil. Also when servicing your trans, use synthetic fluid as well.
Obviously you know more about vehicles than I do, but my '08 Patriot 2.4 only got conventional oil and only started to use any oil after 250,000 miles and then it was barely a quart between oil changes. So far my Compass has only had synthetic -- we'll see how that goes.

I too had a string of GMs that kept me in the fold. If they were still making the Grand Prix I'd still be driving one. I was looking for an Avenger when I stumbled onto the aforementioned Patriot that got me into the Jeep fold.

Say, since your a professional, what can you say about the oil consumption in the 2nd gen Compass? I'm getting 2,000/qt which isn't as good at other vehicles I've had at 200,000+. Is this the new normal?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in