2018 Compass Engine Issue - Jeep Compass Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 34 Old 08-17-2018, 12:04 AM Thread Starter

2018 Compass Engine Issue

So I was driving home from work last night and my Compass started making a noise. The noise started getting louder and the Service Engine light came on. I pulled over into a gas station and called a wrecker to tow it to the dealer. I put the PRNDL in neutral so he could load it on the flat bed but the parking brake came on and I couldn't get it to turn off so I started the vehicle to turn off the parking brake. The engine was making a god awful noise and I shut it off. We were finally ably to get the parking brake off an load it on the truck. The driver said it sounds like it threw a rod. Dropped it off at the dealer ($85 for the tow truck) and it was there when they came in this morning. Nobody called me so I waited until 10:00 am and called them. They said that because I didn't have an appointment they would fit me in when possible. I called at 4:30 pm and they said they still hadn't gotten to it. I told them I needed a car and they said they would help get me one. At 6:30 pm they finally called to say they had a loaner for me. So, hopefully tomorrow they will get to my car. I bought the Compass new in February, and I can't believe there is something wrong with the engine. I will try to update everyone when I get more news.

2018 Jeep Compass Limited
4x4, Rhino Exterior with Black Interior
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old 08-18-2018, 11:05 AM
Subscribing Member

Garage
It will be interesting to hear what the issue was. Are you going to get reimbursed for the towing?.

Ronald Wenger
post #3 of 34 Old 08-18-2018, 05:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvwenger View Post
It will be interesting to hear what the issue was. Are you going to get reimbursed for the towing?.
I have to see. I would think I should be.

Update: apparently the dealership still hasn't looked at my Compass (I say that because I did not receive any calls from the dealership). I was told on Thursday that because I didn't have an appointment that they would fit me in when they could. They did say they pulled two codes but they had nothing to do with the loud noise (thrown rod?) that the Compass is making. On the plus side, my loaner is a 300 S.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 Old 08-18-2018, 09:12 PM

Location: Two locations in NH: One near Concord, the other at the 45th.

300S? Let them keep your Compass as long as they want! Or at least until it snows. Is the 300S AWD? If so, who cares when you get the Compass back!

All seriousness aside, it looks like your dealer is trying to take care of you. They could have said No to a loaner or given you some old rustbucket they can't sell off the used car lot. I hope it all works out well for you.
post #5 of 34 Old 08-21-2018, 07:06 PM Thread Starter

Update for 21 Aug 2018. Still no word from the dealer as to what the status is on my Compass. I called them yesterday to find out about my loaner vehicle and was told they still haven't looked at my Compass. Starting to get frustrated. I am thinking that if I don't get answers by Friday, I will be calling FCA.

ADMIN: Is there anyway to move this thread to 2017+ Jeep Compass Complaints, Issues And Problems?

post #6 of 34 Old 08-22-2018, 09:20 AM

You should have road side assistance, mine came with four year coverage.
post #7 of 34 Old 08-22-2018, 11:36 AM Thread Starter

Was never told that I had it or not. I will have to check into it.

post #8 of 34 Old 08-22-2018, 01:33 PM

I remember when they had to replace my body control module late this spring and I also got a 300 S as a loaner. They had the Compass for 12 days and I did not care what they were doing to it or how long it took, I had complete confidence my dealership was going to get it back to me in complete working order and they did. In the meanwhile I greatly enjoyed having something different and powerful to drive, I put over a thousand miles on that Chrysler I also washed and vacuumed it though I took care of the car while I had it.

I don't think you could have conceivably "thrown a rod" out of a brand new engine. The motor won't run once the oil pressure sending unit alerts the computer that there is insufficient oil flow, gotta be something else.
Jasmine likes this.

Last edited by arudlang; 08-22-2018 at 01:36 PM.
post #9 of 34 Old 08-24-2018, 01:14 PM Thread Starter

Update: It has been over a week that my Compass has been at the dealer and they still haven't looked at it. I stopped by the dealership this morning and asked about it. They said, "Please be patient." I have only had one other car that I had to have fixed under warranty at a dealership and even though I didn't have an appointment I was taken care of right away. They got me a rental car right away (without me having to ask) and had my car back to me in two days. So far I am not impressed by FCA vehicles or their dealerships. If this is the quality of their product and poor customer service from their dealerships, I think this will be the first and last FCA product I will ever purchase. @JeepCares, is there something you can do to help?

post #10 of 34 Old 08-24-2018, 03:00 PM

I think your expectations are unrealistic, personally.
post #11 of 34 Old 08-29-2018, 11:44 PM Thread Starter

Update for 29 August 2018: Got a call from the dealer today. My Compass threw a rod and caused a catastrophic engine failure. Engine is toast. They ordered a new engine and will have it installed by the end of next week.

Last edited by Redmaxx; 09-03-2018 at 12:29 AM.
post #12 of 34 Old 08-30-2018, 01:54 AM

Was there oil in it? Then again, after throwing a rod, oil could be anywhere/everywhere. This is unbelievably early for this sort of failure.
post #13 of 34 Old 08-30-2018, 11:12 AM Thread Starter

Yes, there was oil in it. I think it was just a manufacturers defect. Between my dealer and the dealer I took it to, nobody has heard of any such issues. My confidence level in FCA is pretty low right now. I will be calling Chrysler Cares today to see what we can do. Everything is covered under warranty but I paid for a brand new vehicle, not a vehicle with a brand new motor.
mexsoy likes this.

post #14 of 34 Old 08-30-2018, 12:21 PM

Garage
they guy that assembled that engine probably banged his knuckles and forgot something.
things happen.

i had a brand new 01 ram @ 500 miles
was coming home from dinner one night and the heater hose became disconnected.
someone forgot to put a couple of hose clamps on.

not a serious as a rod, but things happen.

2018 Compass Latitude
post #15 of 34 Old 09-03-2018, 01:30 PM Thread Starter

I have a case open with Chrysler. So far they will reimburse me for the tow truck and make my car payment for the time it is in the shop.

post #16 of 34 Old 09-14-2018, 01:13 AM

I am sorry you had bad luck with your Compass. Keep in mind this rarely happens and a new motor is much better than a repaired motor done at the dealership. Keep on the case and make sure the zero milage engine starts with a full warranty. I wish you the best, don't give up on your Compass, if you take care of it she will last you many miles.
post #17 of 34 Old 10-06-2018, 05:33 PM Thread Starter

Got the Compass back and because of some emergency surgery I haven't really been able to drive it until this week (was released back to work this past Monday). I was driving home on Tuesday with the windows open and there was traffic next to me and I could hear a "chirping" noise. I went through an ATM and could still hear it. I made an appointment to get it looked at and 0830 hrs this morning was the first available. They just called me and told me the tensioner is bad and has to be replaced. I guess I would have figured that when they replaced the engine that they would have replaced the tensioner. I guess not. So now I am without my vehicle until Monday or Tuesday.

post #18 of 34 Old 10-06-2018, 09:44 PM

Garage
Engine accessories have nothing to do with replacing the long block on your Jeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redmaxx View Post
Got the Compass back and because of some emergency surgery I haven't really been able to drive it until this week (was released back to work this past Monday). I was driving home on Tuesday with the windows open and there was traffic next to me and I could hear a "chirping" noise. I went through an ATM and could still hear it. I made an appointment to get it looked at and 0830 hrs this morning was the first available. They just called me and told me the tensioner is bad and has to be replaced. I guess I would have figured that when they replaced the engine that they would have replaced the tensioner. I guess not. So now I am without my vehicle until Monday or Tuesday.
post #19 of 34 Old 10-09-2018, 12:27 AM Thread Starter

So they ended up replacing the tensioner and serpentine belt.

post #20 of 34 Old 10-11-2018, 07:16 PM

Garage
Quote:
So they ended up replacing the tensioner and serpentine belt.
All good now? Did you have any oil consumption issues prior to this?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 Jeep Compass Lattitude - Billet Silver, 4x4
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited, EcoDiesel - GONE
post #21 of 34 Old 10-13-2018, 12:13 AM Thread Starter

Yes. When I had the oil changed a couple of months before it was down over 2 qts. I had been keeping an eye on it.

post #22 of 34 Old 10-13-2018, 03:49 PM

All new Jeep com with a free loaner I had to call Jeep because the dealership by me said that they don’t have loaner Jeep
post #23 of 34 Old 10-15-2018, 12:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acadviceinc View Post
All new Jeep com with a free loaner I had to call Jeep because the dealership by me said that they donít have loaner Jeep
Unfortunately my salesman never told me that and of course being a guy I didn't read the owners manual because I could figure everything out, but fortunately FCA paid for the towing (after an uphill battle to get a receipt from the towing company). I hate to say it but I am waiting for the next thing to break on my COMPASS. Still nobody from corporate or the arbitration company have contacted me.

post #24 of 34 Old 10-16-2018, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Still nobody from corporate or the arbitration company have contacted me.
I won't hold my breath, you literally have to threaten/pursue legal recourse to get their attention before they take you seriously. It's what i had to do.
post #25 of 34 Old 10-16-2018, 05:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeexelby View Post
I won't hold my breath, you literally have to threaten/pursue legal recourse to get their attention before they take you seriously. It's what i had to do.
Thanks. I have been told my expectations are too high, but I will never ever buy another FCA product.

post #26 of 34 Old 10-16-2018, 05:52 PM

Wow, sounds like you've been on a roller coaster ride with your compass. I only had one freak issue with the computer/electric system where everything went dead including the breaks and parking breaks. They sure don't make them like they used to. My girlfriend's brand new wrangler also had a small minute hole in the engine block that was made bigger and noticeable after a rear end collision. The investigator that flew out for that said it was good she got in an accident because by the time the hole made any significant impact it would have probably been past warranty.
post #27 of 34 Old 10-16-2018, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Thanks. I have been told my expectations are too high, but I will never ever buy another FCA product.
I was told that I complain too much on here. I still have my 35 page history over 10 months with every thing breaking under the planet. I was also told that I had a nebulous car and it's uncommon for all those problems. Well everyone on the forum has had at least one of my problems or a collection of the same that I had.

Major Oil Burning
Bum Sway Bar Links
8.4 inch Radio Replaced Twice
Squealing Brakes on a brand new car (they replaced the rotors and pads x2, issue didn't go away)
Warped Trim
TPS issues
All the trouble lights illuminating on the gauge cluster
Security System Kept thinking I was breaking into the car while it was running
Random electrical e-brake engagemet
Coolant Consumption
Sticking Backup Camera
Auto Start Stop broke all the time
Transmission won't engage past 7th gear even if forced with paddle shifters (9 speed)

Yah, guess I complain alot
post #28 of 34 Old 10-16-2018, 11:23 PM

I don't think I've had that many problems in all the cars I've owned combined. I did give up on a new '93 Cherokee and traded it for a new Oldsmobile. Even under warranty I just couldn't invest the time in the repairs. It was just one recurring problem, but after four times to the dealer I gave up. At the time my vehicle was my rolling office, repair shop, and delivery truck -- I couldn't just hop in a loaner. If that vehicle wasn't working, neither was I. Olds turned out to be one of the best vehicles I've had. If Wifey hadn't had good luck with Her Wranglers I'd still be driving GMs.

Last edited by Jasmine; 10-17-2018 at 12:10 PM. Reason: clarity
post #29 of 34 Old 10-17-2018, 11:31 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeexelby View Post
Who did you contact? Nobody is able to tell me who to contact at corporate. Jeep cares wasn't any help, the dealership wasn't any help, I am about to go to the local news media.

post #30 of 34 Old 10-18-2018, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Who did you contact? Nobody is able to tell me who to contact at corporate. Jeep cares wasn't any help, the dealership wasn't any help, I am about to go to the local news media.
I just sent you a PM. Good luck!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in