Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Two locations in NH: One near Concord, the other at the 45th.
I owned a 2008 Patriot which is a sister to the Compass, and it was rock solid.
+ Very few repairs.
+ Brakes can last beyond 100,000 miles.
+ Fuel economy is c30MPG.
+ It's easy on tires.
- Sunroofs are prone to leaking. There are lots of helpful threads about that.
- CVT transmissions last around 150,000 miles. With normal driving, you should be good for several more years.
- CVTs really can't be repaired, just replaced. (I had two CVTs, one died at 110,000 the replacement went to 280,000).
- Some (not mine) had premature ball joint failures. Popular wisdom is to replace with aftermarket (not Mopar) parts.
- Some (not mine) had premature rust on the sub-frame. FCA extended the warranty on that to 10 years for the original owner.
I think $4000 is a bargain, but of course I can't see it to evaluate it. Since the price is so low, I'd definitely have the sub-frame checked for rust. Otherwise I think it should be good for several more years. Remember, its used not new, so the previous owner is selling it for a reason. Good luck!