Replacing spark plugs - Jeep Compass Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Grayrider84

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 7 Old 09-09-2018, 01:55 AM Thread Starter

Replacing spark plugs

I have the older edition of the 2017 and reading the owners manual I see they recommend changing the spark plugs at 30k miles. I’ve never in my life had a car that recommended changing the plugs at that interval.

Is there something strange about the compass that makes this necessary?

Do most folks change the plugs this frequently?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-09-2018, 12:41 PM

Spark plugs

I had a 2015 Compass with the 2.4L, and also thought it was odd - something you haven't heard of in years. Nonetheless, doing the job yourself could not be easier. Plugs and coil packs right up front, nothing blocking access. "Regular" plugs are dirt cheap. Just remember block is aluminum so careful on threading the plugs back in, and use a torque wrench to be sure you don't over-tighten.

For reference, the spark plug interval on the 2018 Compass per the manual is back to 100,000 miles.
Jasmine likes this.
post #3 of 7 Old 09-09-2018, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnlantz View Post
I have the older edition of the 2017 and reading the owners manual I see they recommend changing the spark plugs at 30k miles. I’ve never in my life had a car that recommended changing the plugs at that interval.

Is there something strange about the compass that makes this necessary?

Do most folks change the plugs this frequently?
It’s not odd to me.... I had vehicles in the past to replace spark plugs around every 30,000. The plugs were cheap and not difficult to replace. My new Jeep Compass doesn’t need replacement that often. Take care of your compass and it will take care of you... Good Luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 09-10-2018, 12:08 PM

Garage
30k is only a year to me

the 2018 says 100k

im not goint to mention i didnt do my liberty until 180k....................

2018 Compass Latitude
post #5 of 7 Old 09-14-2018, 01:03 AM

Ok, so 30K does seem a short period of time for modern engines. I have a 2010 Compass with 234K and I have found about 50K is a good time to change the plugs. The 2.4L seems to wear plugs and at 50K I have measured an increased gsp and erosion on the plug tips. I also found out that indexing the plugs makes better mileage and better response. Now I say this based on what I experienced, not any hard measured data. Just looking at plugs and driving. I would not recommend going 100K on plugs on this motor. Sure it may do it, but you may buy several sets of plugs in reduced mileage. Hope this helps and good luck to you.
post #6 of 7 Old 09-14-2018, 02:48 AM

I didnt replace mine till about 80k miles and mine is a 2011. It started to misfire but that's normal for cars this age. Should be fine to wait.
post #7 of 7 Old 09-15-2018, 02:43 AM

Location: Two locations in NH: One near Concord, the other at the 45th.

I've not done the plugs on my 2018. However, I had a 2008 Patriot and still have a 2014 Patriot. Same engines as the Compass during those years. I do my plugs about every 35,000, i.e., about every year, usually in the fall. I've heard tell that if you wait too long extracting the old ones can be a problem. I use anti-seize so its not a struggle next time. Frankly, the hardest plugs to remove were the factory plugs. They had me scared, especially when the first one took a lot of effort then kinda jerked loose!

Changing plugs on the 2.0 or 2.4 is about as easy as changing the oil. You'll need an extension to get down there. If memory serves 6" isn't enough.

Most plugs come pre-gapped. I forget the torque spec (you'll have to look it up) but I'm with Grayrider84 above: its important to get the torque right.

HINT: I use the coil pack to get the new plugs started because the rubber boot is gentle and I don't want to risk cross-threading.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in