I think the min/max on the coolant expansion bottle of 2nd Gen Compass are misleading - Jeep Compass Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By arudlang
  • 1 Post By Tripod
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2018, 07:35 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 350
 
I think the min/max on the coolant expansion bottle of 2nd Gen Compass are misleading

For the last couple of days, it has been below freezing here on the mornings. Today, before is started the car, I checked the coolant level and it was below the min line. However, after driving few miles and heating the engine, the coolant level reached just below the max line (see pictures below). And this is with coolant temperature being around 197F. If it were to go higher, coolant level would go above max (it did in summer, blue line is where it was when coolant reached 225F). This shows the min max lines are completely wrong on the bottle. To have it above min in winter, it would need to be above max when hot, or to have it below max when hot, it needs to be below min when cold... Good job FCA!

Also, as a future note, color of the coolant is pinkish when cold but purple when hot.






Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Tripod; 10-11-2018 at 07:37 PM.
Tripod is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-11-2018, 08:40 PM
Senior Member
 
mdram4x4's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: ES of Md
Posts: 230
 
Garage
its not level. maybe that would make a diff in the min

as for max, 225 is a bit too warm

2018 Compass Latitude
mdram4x4 is offline  
Old 10-11-2018, 09:23 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 350
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdram4x4 View Post
its not level. maybe that would make a diff in the min

as for max, 225 is a bit too warm
It was pretty level, the car was not moving when put into N. But my overflow box is a bit tilted, so it might just be at/below min line. Even than it was only ~32F outside. It would still be below min when it hits 10F where I live. The issue I have is the coolant expands a full min/max range when going from cold to hot even at 32F. If I fill it until low, say at 10F, it might be 2 inches above max in summer.

225F was the max I saw, it happened when driving in stop and go traffic in 108F ambient temperature. The car was also still in break in period back than(400ish miles), so it might also be a reason idk. Normally, I rarely see it go above ~200F.

Last edited by Tripod; 10-11-2018 at 09:30 PM.
Tripod is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-11-2018, 09:49 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 677
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdram4x4
as for max, 225 is a bit too warm
225 is fine if its just for a bit in those situations such as heavy traffic, pulling heavy load, heck it can spike almost that high just from being in autostop mode for a train crossing if was running hard leading up to that stop on a hot day. 225 while driving consistently with no load down the highway would be unusually warm but as a peak, no worries.

It doesn't surprise me that the bottle min and max don't line up with the observed working range, I'm just coming to expect this kind of thing from FCA products. It does surprise me that you think you are going to need to add to it. 2nd gens have only been out for a year, these things are ALL brand-spanking new. There is no reason to think any of these should need so much as a single drop of coolant added at this point in their lives. That system should be able to stay sealed for years. You shouldn't even have to think about the coolant level.

That being said its still nice to voice things like this so others can find it and know they are not alone. Mine shows a titch below the MIN line too when cold but I think nothing of it. I don't believe it will contract much more than that, even when we hit our -30*F days here in northern MN.
Tripod likes this.
arudlang is online now  
Old 10-11-2018, 10:08 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 350
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by arudlang View Post
225 is fine if its just for a bit in those situations such as heavy traffic, pulling heavy load, heck it can spike almost that high just from being in autostop mode for a train crossing if was running hard leading up to that stop on a hot day. 225 while driving consistently with no load down the highway would be unusually warm but as a peak, no worries.

It doesn't surprise me that the bottle min and max don't line up with the observed working range, I'm just coming to expect this kind of thing from FCA products. It does surprise me that you think you are going to need to add to it. 2nd gens have only been out for a year, these things are ALL brand-spanking new. There is no reason to think any of these should need so much as a single drop of coolant added at this point in their lives. That system should be able to stay sealed for years. You shouldn't even have to think about the coolant level.

That being said its still nice to voice things like this so others can find it and know they are not alone. Mine shows a titch below the MIN line too when cold but I think nothing of it. I don't believe it will contract much more than that, even when we hit our -30*F days here in northern MN.


Yeah 225F was under stop and go traffic with outside temperature being 108F and AC blowing at max. I am not surprised it hit 225F under those conditions. I live at eastern Washington state where summer maxs can hit 110F ans winter lows can be -36F. So there is a huge range .

And yeah I am not going to add any coolant. I was adding antifreeze to washer fluid and just saw this. Like you said it was just an observation I wanted to share so that nobody worries if they see theirs below min when it is cold (and add more to see now it way above max when hot lol ).
arudlang likes this.

Last edited by Tripod; 10-11-2018 at 10:15 PM.
Tripod is online now  
Old 10-11-2018, 10:49 PM
Senior Member
 
84z28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 146
 
Garage
It's the coolant reservoir not rocket science, as goes for the safe area on the oil dip stick. The coolant will fluctuate with cold and heat as you well know and also burn off ( evaporates ) in normal driving conditions
84z28 is offline  
Old 10-12-2018, 03:16 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 677
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 84z28
burn off ( evaporates ) in normal driving conditions
Nah, the coolant system is more or less sealed, nothing evaporates out of there, or gets burned up. It just swirls around and around and around, and it should do so for years without anyone needing to so much as crack open the cap. The book says the service interval for the coolant is 10 years or 150,000 miles. It also says there is a low coolant light, so as long as there is some in the reservoir I will never worry about it (or add any to it).
arudlang is online now  
Old 10-12-2018, 09:50 AM
Senior Member
 
84z28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 146
 
Garage
We can agree to disagree, the recovery tank isnt sealed and is open to the atmosphere. Coolant will evaporate and can and will burn off especially if the engine temps exceed certain operating temps regularly. The service book says interval of coolant is 100k or 10 years to be flushed and replaced with new, not that the coolant will remain at min and max that long


Quote:
Originally Posted by arudlang View Post
Nah, the coolant system is more or less sealed, nothing evaporates out of there, or gets burned up. It just swirls around and around and around, and it should do so for years without anyone needing to so much as crack open the cap. The book says the service interval for the coolant is 10 years or 150,000 miles. It also says there is a low coolant light, so as long as there is some in the reservoir I will never worry about it (or add any to it).
84z28 is offline  
Old 10-12-2018, 11:25 AM
Member
 
lundy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 30
 
Garage
Based only on your pics, nothing wrong with your coolant system. Why do you think there is a problem? How are you measuring the temps you mentioned?
lundy is online now  
Old 10-12-2018, 11:54 AM
Senior Member
 
mdram4x4's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: ES of Md
Posts: 230
 
Garage
i never run the ac in stop and go traffic, especially when its hot out.
seen way to many cars overheat that way

windows down, and defrost on if the engine starts getting hot

not comfortable, but better for the engine

2018 Compass Latitude
mdram4x4 is offline  
Old 10-12-2018, 03:55 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 350
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lundy View Post
Based only on your pics, nothing wrong with your coolant system. Why do you think there is a problem? How are you measuring the temps you mentioned?
I dont think there is a problem, I just wanted to inform people that marks on the expansion bottle are not reliable, in case someone makes the same observation and this question comes up.

I am getting the values for temperature from the information center that shows this and stuff like transmission fluid temperature, engine oil temperature, battery charge etc.
Tripod is online now  
 

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Thread Tools



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome