Looking at a Compass/Patriot.. - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 6 Old 01-28-2019, 12:10 PM Thread Starter

Looking at a Compass/Patriot..

So long story short is my wife needs a car. I might be giving her my 18 compass. If that happens I would be looking at a older like 12/13/14 Compass/Patriot. Anything to look for? I heard the 2.4 is a pretty strong motor. I realize its similar to the multiair one I already have. I do take it off road once is a while to go fishing and just for fun. Is one of them better off road versus the other? I thought I read or heard something that one of the generation Compasses aren't recommend going off road.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-28-2019, 01:21 PM

Location: Two locations in NH: One near Concord, the other at the 45th.

Compass & Patriots are built on the same platform, i.e. pretty much the same under the skin. Some suggest the 1st gen Compass was intended the female market but to me they are just machines with slightly different styling. The dimensions are virtually identical but some newer years may sit an inch higher than their ancestors.

I've had two Patriots, and my Wife still drives a 2014 Patriot. Both FWD, both competent in typical New England snow.

Early years were notorious for leaking sunroofs

Some complain of premature front end problems but mine have been solid (400,000 miles between them).

The 2.4 is certainly adequate, but its not a sports car. Pretty comparable to my Compass.
My 2.4 Compass gets about the same fuel economy as my Wife's 2.0 Patriot with the 5-spd.

The CVT is very comfortable on hilly highways because its not constantly hunting for the right gear like an automatic.
Warning: If you get the CVT, change the transmission fluid every 50-60,000 miles!!! Do not wait for the recommended interval, it may not get there. The owners manual is OTL on that.

As you probably know some (not all) of the earlier years had premature rust on the subframe. Mine was solid (300,000 miles and 10 NH winters) but it would be smart to check the subframe carefully. Just cuz it hasn't rusted through doesn't mean it won't. Make sure its in good shape and don't trust the selling dealer! "Its OK" means it passes inspection today.

We love(d) our Patriots and I seriously considered buying a lightly used Patriot before I bought my Compass. There were just so many rebates on the new Compass that's what I went with.

Last edited by Jasmine; 02-14-2019 at 01:26 PM.
post #3 of 6 Old 01-28-2019, 04:05 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, I forgot about the subframes, but if they are known to rust I maybe should look elsewhere?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 01-28-2019, 05:10 PM

Location: Two locations in NH: One near Concord, the other at the 45th.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetCav View Post
Thanks, I forgot about the subframes, but if they are known to rust I maybe should look elsewhere?
Most don't have the rust problem. Mine never rusted after 10 NH winters and 300,000 miles. Wife's is still solid at 5 winters and 110,000 miles.
Most didn't rust, but if you're buying it would be best to check it, or have a professional check it.
I'd certainly buy another Patriot, but not without checking the frame.

There's all kinds of things to watch for on a used vehicle regardless of the brand! Nothing will be perfect. You can buy a used Cadillac and discover it was in a wreck. Even then, if it was fixed right it should be good to go. "He who watches the clouds will neither sow nor reap."
post #5 of 6 Old 02-02-2019, 02:52 AM

Not sure of your budget, but i'm seeing a good number of Hertz ads for used first gen compasses for sale. Prices seem quite reasonable and these are higher mileage vehicles 40-50k miles for a 2017 that is roughly two years old. Probably a touch more than a 2014 but may not be that much more.

Rental cars can have abused histories but generally cars that are upgrades or higher classes are typically driven by older people, consultants driving to from jobs and not abused.

Take a look to see if there are some reasonable options in your area.
post #6 of 6 Old 02-14-2019, 01:55 AM

My 2014 compass had a bubbling paint issue across the entire front lip of the hood that showed up in 2017. (North Jersey)
No gravel acne was ever detected in the area prior and no problems elsewhere with the paint.
Best of luck with your search!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in